PDA

View Full Version : second attempt max-g69

hiwayman
01-16-2006, 01:41 AM
problems on the first attempt hope this works car runs 500inch big block/tko600/19-12rears19-10front no front brakes yet any sugestions hope to run 9s previous best 10.1cheers darrin

Steve Chryssos
01-16-2006, 07:09 AM
Full frame cars are awesome. You can get the ride height way down and the stance perfect without hindering suspension geometry. Something as trick as that SHOULD require a lot of work. Keep it up. That looks hot.

Rybar
01-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Your project looks really sweet, keep us posted.

wiedemab
01-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Are you welding the frame into the unibody or making mounts to bolt it on. Just curious, I'm considering a Max G for an early body Chevy II (after my current project and money permitting).

I'd love to see some more pics of the frame install.

That car should look Bad-ass!

Brandon

bowtieguys
01-16-2006, 10:28 AM
How much to finish and ship to the states??:twothumbs That thing looks awesome so far. What color combo are you going to go with?

F70t/a
01-16-2006, 10:57 AM
That looks so sweet man!!! What size tires are you running on those 19's?

hiwayman
01-16-2006, 11:07 AM
thanks for the replys i have gone for the weld in just seems a lot easyer and stronger paint colour will be the same black just touched up at this stage,the car will run at 5inchs ground to pinch rail,anyone intrested in the cost of parts in new zealand rear tyres 1400each!!no burnouts on those i think some second hand tyres are in my future do they turn up in the states?

hiwayman
01-16-2006, 11:27 AM
rear tyres measure 345/30/19 looks a bit strange with 19s on the front is this why most go with smaller wheel on the front?

F70t/a
01-16-2006, 11:31 AM
I don't think it looks werid, the 19's all around look really good :twothumbs

jeffandre
01-16-2006, 01:39 PM
thanks for the replys i have gone for the weld in just seems a lot easyer and stronger paint colour will be the same black just touched up at this stage,the car will run at 5inchs ground to pinch rail,anyone intrested in the cost of parts in new zealand rear tyres 1400each!!no burnouts on those i think some second hand tyres are in my future do they turn up in the states?

Is that $1400 each, or for both tires? US dollars? I got my new 345/30/19's from Bones Enterprises on Ebay for a little over $300 shipped for both tires, so I feel lucky. They turn up used on Ebay every so often, keep on the lookout.

Awesome car! Post some performance numbers when you get to drive it hard. I am interested in cornering performance (g's) and braking distances with the big tires (I have 19x13's rear and 19x10's front).

devin
01-17-2006, 12:48 AM
looks very nice!

hiwayman
01-30-2006, 12:50 AM
hey got the car out for some sunshine

kamaroman68
01-30-2006, 03:38 AM
Holy cow. You are really moving along with your project. Looks nice. Still picking away at mine. Finally got the inside of the outer rocker panel painted this weekend with the epoxy primer. If everything goes right I hope to be welding in the custom inner rocker panel I made to the stock/modified outer rocker this weekend. Still lots of prep ahead. I hope to have the body on a rolling chassis by the end of april. Chris

ProdigyCustoms
01-30-2006, 05:34 AM
Looks sinister. Can you shot a pic or two inside showing how it mounts to the rockers and such?

kamaroman68
01-30-2006, 06:27 AM
Hiwayman can you tell me how you determined engine placement in the chassis. This is one of those things I have no idea how to do. Is there a certain angle the engine needs to be tilted back? Thanks Chris

Steve Chryssos
01-30-2006, 06:32 AM
Awesome.

F70t/a
01-30-2006, 08:13 AM
That stance with the 19's look so sick!!! :headbang:

whytry
01-30-2006, 08:41 AM
That is awesome!!!!

CAMAROBOY69
01-30-2006, 08:41 AM
I saw this car on the Lateral G site and fell in love with it instantly! What a bad a@# looking ride. You said that car has a morrison max-g chassis channeled 4inches with 5inches to the pinch rail right?
The wheels match the car perfect!

67Sally
01-30-2006, 10:06 AM
That looks great.
W.

TonyL
01-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Those are ROH modenas right? Love those wheels.

Awesome project.

hiwayman
01-30-2006, 11:33 AM
hi chris i see you went with the epoxy i used it to prime chassis as for the engine angle im not sure myself iv just finished an engine plate without the mount tags so can someone answer this, engine angle?I read were you are going to bolt the chassis in? tony wheels are modenas i painted the centres they had that silver fininish on them yea the black is nice.camaroboy yip 5inchs to the pinch rail .

kamaroman68
01-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Wow the pictures of the frame and welding directly to the body blew my mind. That is awesome but permanent. How did you know exactly where to place the frame in relation to the body before welding? In your picture it looks like the rearmost crossmember is not at the beginning of the wheel well in the rear as I thought. Did you mount your wheels on the rear axle and center them in the rear wheel well? Thanks for the help. Your project is 10x farther ahead than mine. If I knew how to post pictures I would definately be shooting and posting. Looks awesome. Chris

TonyL
01-30-2006, 12:38 PM
If I knew how to post pictures I would definately be shooting and posting. Looks awesome. Chris

you can use our very own "manage attachements" button and host them here. (but youre limited to how many)

or you can go to www.imageshack.us Follow the prompts, its free, no sign up and limitless and super super easy for the beginner. It even makes the code for you, all you do is select the image, click "host it" and then copy and paste the code it makes for you.

DeltaT
01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
That looks mean! I love it. You can always make some extra tire money by renting it out as a steam roller!

Jim

hiwayman
01-30-2006, 06:22 PM
hey chris yea centered the wheels in the wheel wells also squared car inrelation to the diff only have a few tacks weld holding in at the moment,the fit bettween rockers and chassis was perfect i would say the bolt in deal will be a lot trickyer i have no need to pull it out ,starting floor this week yea get some shots of your ride up cant wait to see it .

Boyd
01-31-2006, 08:50 AM
First let me say that your car looks killer, but are you really going to mount the body this way? You must have complete confidence in your welding skills, because I couldn't trust myself enough to do it.

Travis B
01-31-2006, 08:54 AM
First let me say that your car looks killer, but are you really going to mount the body this way? You must have complete confidence in your welding skills, because I couldn't trust myself enough to do it.

I bet he is not done welding!!!!!

hiwayman
01-31-2006, 11:26 AM
not to sure what the last comments meant but the welds shown are just tacks holding in position,the body shell will be held in by stitch welds say 50mm spaced every 20mm,also the pinch weld will be tig welded to the chassis how would you guys do it? i know kamaroman is bolting in .

ProdigyCustoms
01-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Looks killer. You are very accomadating providing pictures. Isn't it fun building something different? I would like to see a interior shot accross the interior showing the inner frame and seat location.

hiwayman
01-31-2006, 03:15 PM
hey prodigy no seat location as yet i would like to no your opinion on how the frame is attached ,what im realy asking is how would you guys do it thanks darrin

ProdigyCustoms
01-31-2006, 03:43 PM
We did exactly what you are doing with Prodigy, but your fit up does look like a bit too much of a gap. Your gap should not exceed the thickness of the thickest metal, in this case, 1/8" for the frame rails I assume. I would consider plating the top and bottom to the rocker with possibly 3/16 plate. Don't worry about weight here, it is good weight. And if you have a rotisserie available to get a better welding angle on the bottom, that would be ideal.

I really love this frame, in fact we drove the 55 we are finishing just Saturday for the first time, and it seems pretty killer on the maiden voyage. I do have major seating concerns though in Camaro's. I wondered if you cut out the rails running from the rocker rail to the center rail, or if you are mounting on top of the rails. I see in Bob's Cuda and Parson's Chevy 2 they basically removed the center supports. I will be curious to see where an what seats you use, and if you have any head room.

Boyd
01-31-2006, 05:24 PM
I bet he is not done welding!!!!!

Ya, I know. But that is still a big gap to fill in and even with the metal doubled over at the rockers, it's still scary considering how much penetration is needed for a structurally sound weld. Frank's idea about "wrapping" the rocker and the frame with plate sounds like a good one though.

hiwayman
01-31-2006, 07:54 PM
hey frank thanks for the reply, man talk about a panic attack ,straight down to the shed for a inspection,the gap is about the thickness of a steel rule in about 30% along the rockers and touching on the rest in your opinion is this enough ?the seats will go straight to the floor or maybe resses the seat rails thanks again darrin.

ProdigyCustoms
01-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Like I say, the gap should be about 1/8", no tighter, no wider. I would still consider the plating.

Look forward to somemore pics.

PhillipM
03-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Darrin-

Was just wondering about the progress. Did you decide to do the plate or just weld it straight in?? Phillip

GBodyGMachine
03-05-2006, 05:14 PM
CAR LOOKS GREAT MAN. I LOVE IT

Jeff

hiwayman
03-06-2006, 11:59 PM
hey phillipM have not welded it in yet pretty sure will plate it though,floor and tubs are in will post some pics soon computer dramas thanks jeff

hiwayman
03-23-2006, 12:59 AM
just a few shots of the floor install

wiedemab
03-23-2006, 08:04 AM
It doesn't look like you are going to run a back seat, but is there enough room for one if you wanted to? Just curious.

Looking good!

Brandon

CAMAROBOY69
03-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the update pics. I was wondering how this car was coming along.

ProdigyCustoms
03-23-2006, 10:20 AM
More floor pics! Looking killer.

Leadfoot1
03-23-2006, 10:46 AM
How about more pics....Period!

:jawdrop: AWESOME BUILD!

Lead.

USAZR1
03-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Man,I love those bulged fenders. Would like to do that to my El Camino's fenders.

hiwayman
03-23-2006, 12:21 PM
hey there i would show you guys more floor pics but with the new gearbox gone missing in action cant do the trans tunnel i hope it shows up ordered it christmass? hi frank do you think you could show me some of your steering installtions having a hard time trying to figure this out thanks darrin

customcam
03-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Awsome beast! great job mate and ur a neighbour even better lol
the aussie streets would love that 69
i couldnt find ur post at Lat-g about the car?
Is this the first Max-g chassis uv done?

ProStreet R/T
03-23-2006, 03:25 PM
:pics2: Those 19's are good stuff.

ProdigyCustoms
03-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Is it a header problem? a frame problem? Send me a pick of the area.

hiwayman
03-23-2006, 05:22 PM
frank its the stock column and the conections that i cant figure out dont know the name of the conection on the end of the stock column how do you connect to that thing or is it better to go with a complete kit? im fabing up custom hedders/engine plate so i dont think to many clearence issues .customcam yea id love to bring it ova to th summmer nats bro to many prostreeters imo over there they are cool to look at but were you going to drive something like gary myers silver bullet?

ProdigyCustoms
03-23-2006, 05:41 PM
I can set you up with Borgeson joints, possibly a series of them. I am thinking since your seat position may be a bit high, and you dash low because you channeled the body, you may want a tilt column to make it easier to get in and out of the car. there is also a possibility that the frame rail and the steering output will hate one another. you may possibly hve to raise the output location, or maybe move it to one side or another. If you can lay the column in place and shoot a pic of the firewall where it comes through, and then a shot showing the path to the rack, I can probably figure out whtat you need.

hiwayman
03-23-2006, 05:56 PM
thanks frank im on it il lay everything out and see how it looks il post some pics as soon as i get it together

customcam
03-23-2006, 07:58 PM
frank its the stock column and the conections that i cant figure out dont know the name of the conection on the end of the stock column how do you connect to that thing or is it better to go with a complete kit? im fabing up custom hedders/engine plate so i dont think to many clearence issues .customcam yea id love to bring it ova to th summmer nats bro to many prostreeters imo over there they are cool to look at but were you going to drive something like gary myers silver bullet?
i hear ya mate. there not really into the subtle big hp wide low profile tyres nice paint/interior and well designed chassis! each to there own hey.i beleive in a drivable car not just a picture car
i didnt see ur thread over at Lat-g
Keep us updated :twothumbs

kamaroman68
03-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Holy cow. Man you are really kicking ass on that project!!! I would really like to know how you made the floors and wheeltubs. My project is nowhere near that. I will try and get some pictures this weekend. I tried taking pictures last night with my wife but the lighting/flash of the camera was runining the pictures. Hopefully the weekend will be a little warmer here and I can open the garage for some sunlight. Keep the pics coming. Chris

hiwayman
03-24-2006, 09:28 PM
hey chris sent a few picks to your e-mail did you get them having problems with this computer,surething i the floor construction and tubs not hard but not to easy ,e-mail me for some info

hiwayman
04-05-2006, 12:42 PM
hey frank heres some steering shots,i put some socket swivels in there to get a idea . if its not to much trouble could you check out my post in th susspension section it might be something simple iv missed thanks again darrin

hiwayman
04-05-2006, 12:47 PM
heres the shots

customcam
04-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I cant wait to see this finished
thats 1 Bad ass 69 HWM :worship:

colt zantop
04-05-2006, 05:52 PM
very nice! love the color/wheel combo.....whats your plans for interior?

ProdigyCustoms
04-05-2006, 07:24 PM
I think you angle is just fine as shown in the first pic. Is it connected to the rack in the first pic? I saw you suspension post. is the shock at ride height in those pics? Seems strange they would miss the eye location, but if the shock is at ride height,(ride height for the shock should be about 1/3 compressed from the top of the extension). if the shock is at ride height, I would say you have to raise the eye tab on the frame at the top of the shock until the control arm is level with the shock at ride height. I would want at least 3 inches of compression travel at ride height,

hiwayman
04-05-2006, 08:48 PM
opps sorry frank that not mine just example of the connection i need mine are the last two can you get that style conection?thankyou for checking my susspension thread man iv had some dramas with that,the chassis is 1in from ride height if it went down that far the shock would be fully compressed yea off with the tabs raise em up is it adviseble to keep the same shock angle when repositioning the tab thanks again

ProdigyCustoms
04-06-2006, 02:35 AM
How much total travel does that shock have? So if you are saying the shock will be completely compressed if you level the control arm, which needs to be raised 1", and then you need at least 2" of compression travel, your talking about the tab being off 3"? I do not think the shock angle will be such a big change. Again though, it seems inconceivable the tab would be off that far, tell me again the shock dimension, compressed and extended? they already look pretty short, I do not think I would want any shorter there.

kamaroman68
04-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Hiwayman maybe a dumb and already tried idea but have you called art morrison's place about this issue? They built the chassis with the ride height that you specified so they should be able to help with something like that. I would absolutely hate to be cutting suspension mounting points out of the car before calling them. Maybe they screwed up the coilovers like they did with your axles. Chris

kamaroman68
04-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Hey Darrin I have another question for you... Have you given any thought on how you are going to run your brake and gas lines? Any pics would be appreciated? By the way I did not mean to hack this suspension thread. Chris

hiwayman
04-06-2006, 12:42 PM
hi frank i think pulling the spring will show the situation hard to see angle of the lower arm but its as level as i could get it also chassis is at the ride height (5in ) the extended length is 14in and the compressed is 10.5in thanks again for your imput i think the max-g is going in for some surgery!

ProdigyCustoms
04-06-2006, 03:22 PM
good pics, bad problem. What i think you should verify is exactly where AM wants the control arm at ride height. They may want the arm a bit below center, so it travels either side of center? but that would raise your ride height. To get you ride height as you want it, with a 3 1/2" travel shock, you will have to raise the upper eye mount 2 1/2".

hiwayman
04-07-2006, 10:30 PM
hi frank was about to take the tools out and relocate the tabs but decided to take some measurments it appears the chassis rails do not kick up enough 40mm as measured off the plan? hmmm get the torch out heat them rails?

ProdigyCustoms
04-08-2006, 03:49 AM
hmmm get the torch out heat them rails?

Uh no!. We need to find out from morrision what angle they expect the lower arm to be located at ride height. If it is indeed level, then you can simply relocate the eye tab as previously discussed.

hiwayman
04-09-2006, 06:27 PM
hey there heres what iv been up to recessed the lisence plate and folded up a rear pan mainly to hide the fuel tank what do you guys think?

customcam
04-09-2006, 07:47 PM
D that looook sick bro!!!:twothumbs
i reckon you should come to Oz for a wrking holiday to build mine
love it
How sthat rear bumper looking?

hiwayman
04-09-2006, 08:10 PM
hey customcam more of the same for the bumper its been narrowed and the bolt mount flushed have it painted up this week working holiday in aussie hmmm??

ProdigyCustoms
04-09-2006, 08:20 PM
what do you guys think?

Your hired!

customcam
04-09-2006, 10:01 PM
hey customcam more of the same for the bumper its been narrowed and the bolt mount flushed have it painted up this week working holiday in aussie hmmm??

When i start mine you can help me :yeah:
no chrome bumpers hey

hiwayman
04-13-2006, 09:34 PM
hi frank have talked to matt(AM)and the control arms need to be set 4degrees off centre, we talked about running a shorter shock which i think is a bit of a stop gap measure,morrisons will fab up the brakcets to relocate the mounting position i was thinking two mount holes 1in apart and the first hole 2 1/2in higher than the current position,there apairs to be no answer for the current situation?is there a solution for the steering?thanks again for all yuor imput,if any one else has a comment please do thanks darrin

kamaroman68
04-14-2006, 04:05 AM
Awwwww ****. Man I hope I don't run into any of these problems that you are having. Why all of a sudden do you have to run some adapter plate? Thats ridiculous!!!! "CAD engineered to fit the exact year, make, and model car. No compromises!" WHAT???

64Comet
04-14-2006, 05:01 AM
Awesome looking car! great fab work too! Just curious if you will be running a full belly pan or will that rear under pan act as a parachute and catch under car wind?

ProdigyCustoms
04-14-2006, 05:42 AM
There is no way I would run a shorter shock with less travel. I would cut off the bracket and relocate it.

CraigMorrison
04-14-2006, 05:57 AM
Awwwww ****. Man I hope I don't run into any of these problems that you are having. Why all of a sudden do you have to run some adapter plate? Thats ridiculous!!!! "CAD engineered to fit the exact year, make, and model car. No compromises!" WHAT???

We have had Matt (our engineer) call & e-mail Darrin to help him with this, Art has called, I have called, our sale & tech guys have called and e-mailed. Darrin, mate, we have given you a few different options on dealing with this. You just need to let us help you.

Steering- Darrin, Art sent you an e-mail on what you need to do with this. Double "D" to Double "D" u-joint, Double "D" steering shaft and a Double "D" to splined u-joint to hook up to the rack. These are all parts we have on the shelf here at the shop or we can give you the information and part numbers so you can source it down in NZ. We are here to help!!!!!!

LET ME REPEAT......
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU!

We have built a lot of these First Gen Camaro chassis and haven't had any issues with any of these things. And, if there are any issues, WE ARE HERE TO HELP! AND WE WILL HELP YOU!

hiwayman
04-14-2006, 08:21 PM
hey there 64comet the rear pan is realy just to hide the fuel tank and tidy up the rear,frank thank you for your help appreaciate it

hiwayman
05-09-2006, 04:23 PM
hi all well the gearbox finaly showed up today TKO600 mcleod bell housing this swap must have been done a few times are there afew tips/tricks to the install,i wll dial in the scattershield and yousing a fork/cylinder combo also got the classic industries RSgrill conversion,after seeing the killer69 man i just dont no that thing looks sweet with the standard grill.

hiwayman
05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
just read the sticky in the manual trans section man talk about a must read if you got a tremec excellent stuff!!

1Fine69
05-19-2006, 04:39 AM
car looks great. you probably are aware of the install problems with tranny--->bellhousing/clutch/flywheel but i did something thatmad it a lot easier. i just pushed on the clutch arm and the tranyn slid right in. i didnt have to take anything apart. cc5s helped me out too. good luck!

hiwayman
05-19-2006, 08:47 PM
fine69 cheers for the reply have you sparked that alloy427 yet that has got to be a great package im saving dollars for one,

hiwayman
07-12-2006, 03:30 PM
hi all finaly started working on the car again projects can get out of hand real quick heres some RSgrill shots wot a pain too install needs a lot of adjusting almost completed the floor ,hey frank anynews on getting some new glass down this way thanks hiwayman

customcam
07-12-2006, 04:34 PM
D ur the man! looks amazing bro :hail:

PhillipM
07-12-2006, 05:28 PM
I second that... I don't know what it is about this car but I can't seem to read enough about the progress of this beast!!! Nice Job!:usa:

kamaroman68
07-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Whats up Darrin? Car looks like its coming along nicely. I wish I could say mine was coming but its not even close. Body is barely on the frame. I keep meaning to post pictures and after seeing yours I am almost embarassed to post them. Maybe when you finish yours you can fly to NY and help me with mine. Chris

Leadfoot1
07-14-2006, 07:55 AM
kAMAROMAN,

Are you building a full frame car too???

Come on! Lets see it! :poke:
(I need influence to make up my mesed up mind)

Lead.

kamaroman68
07-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Building is a word hard to describe for what i am doing... but yes i am. I am not a fabricator by any means. More like trying to build. Chris

hiwayman
07-14-2006, 03:31 PM
hey chris lets see some shots of the car!fabricator is a word i can describe as do everything twice im sure thats what iv done with this car ,i think my mounting method is the defference in the time our projects have taken(weld in verse bolt in)hey man if you need some advice on how i went about something just ask keep at it

kamaroman68
07-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Darrin I am going to get off my lazy a.. and finally take the pictures this weekend. Again not much to show but something. Chris

hiwayman
08-15-2007, 01:33 AM
hi all well the hiwayman has finaly got hold of a computer to post some news my camaro is finishd well kind of iv been driving it since the start of the year il have photos soon

Leadfoot1
08-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Nice to hear from you!

Looking forward to seeing those pics!

Lead

79_GBody
08-15-2007, 12:06 PM
What kind of wheels are those?

hiwayman
08-15-2007, 02:29 PM
hey there wheels are 19-12ROH modenas

Mr.VENGEANCE
08-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Pics!pics!pics!pics!pics!pics!pics!pics!pics!pics! pics!pics!pics!pics!

jreut703
08-15-2007, 04:37 PM
looks great more pictures please:cool:

dodge
08-15-2007, 04:40 PM
looks great...and i agree..more pics please

robyrd
08-15-2007, 06:32 PM
oh man, i saw this thread pop up again and got all excited but I beat the new pictures here! haha I can't wait to see it. Awesome car!

hiwayman
08-15-2007, 07:18 PM
hey again and thanks for the kind words il post pics nextweek hope you guys like em

hiwayman
08-15-2007, 08:25 PM
heres a photo

Mr.VENGEANCE
08-15-2007, 09:30 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

hiwayman
08-15-2007, 09:59 PM
venomous yea stink photo im trying to upload some decent ones soon

Krashyman
08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Now that is funny! Although it looks similar to a photo my college girlfriend emailed me right after our first "serious" date . . . I wonder what she was getting at?

Mr.VENGEANCE
08-16-2007, 07:12 AM
churrr bo!

hotrdblder
08-16-2007, 04:06 PM
heres a photo
is that ride height? what angle is the lower control arm at ride height, i think ride height is leading to some handling issues as well, any pics of the front susp?

hiwayman
08-16-2007, 04:53 PM
hotrdblder yip at ride height il have photos next week car is on full chassis

muthstryker
08-16-2007, 06:34 PM
sweet..

shortz
05-05-2008, 10:45 PM
hey hiwayman, hows the build coming along, i havent seen this car around yet, is it on the road yet? Nice to see some fellow kiwis on here

hiwayman
12-30-2008, 01:04 PM
hey shortz yea been driving for afew years been to beach hop kumeu its pretty rough up close needs a clean up

hiwayman
08-01-2009, 05:08 PM
hey there sum pics of new engine 377in Rodeck buick heads