PDA

View Full Version : Ano or powdercoat?

Damn True
01-14-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm planning on blacking out (flat or matte black) all the brightwork on my '68 (window trim, tail-light bezels, wiper arms etc).

Wondering which coating material/process would be more appropriate.
Pro's/Con's of each?

Also may do the centers of my wheels, leaving the hoop polished.

Matt@RFR
01-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Anodizing is a process applicable only to non-ferrous metals (aluminum, magnesium, titanium).

Blown353
01-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Anodizing is a process applicable only to non-ferrous metals (aluminum, magnesium, titanium).

Not only that, but the color of anodizing will vary depending on the substrate-- i.e. if you stick a bunch of parts that are all different aluminum alloys in the same anodizing bath at the same voltage and leave them in for the same amount of time, each alloy will come out a different shade of the color of the anodizing solution.

If you want everything to match, paint or powercoating is your best option. Just remember if you plan on powdercoating make sure the parts will withstand the curing temp (approx 400F.)

Troy

Matt@RFR
01-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Yep, and what can add further frustration is, if you bring parts to your anodizer in seperate batches, you're sure to end up with a different shade of the same color, even on the same alloy. And parts from the different batches, with out fail, end up right next to each other on the car.

BonzoHansen
01-15-2006, 07:18 AM
A lot of guys with 77-81 Z28s, which use black anodized trim OE, seem to prefer powdercoating for restoration. The black trim is not available to them anymore.

6'9"Witha69
01-17-2006, 09:58 AM
True,
An I dea I had for a black out for trim is to do the "black ice" or black chrome. Ever seen it? I have a Zippo done that way. If I was to ever black out the brightwork this is what I would try. It stays shiny but still stealthy.

Blown353
01-17-2006, 10:05 AM
True,
An I dea I had for a black out for trim is to do the "black ice" or black chrome. Ever seen it? I have a Zippo done that way. If I was to ever black out the brightwork this is what I would try. It stays shiny but still stealthy.

Black chrome is neat. I've had a few gun parts refinished that way. The look is fantastic IMO. Unfortunately it's expensive and not as durable or as hard as regular chrome.

Troy

Damn True
01-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Hmm, interesting. I have seen it.

Anyone have some tech on the process?
How consistant is it?
Is the durability similar to normal chrome?
Cost factor?

My only concern in regard to powdercoat is material buildup on the component. Some of this stuff fits pretty tight (ie the 4 window trim pieces slipping inside each other) I am worried that a thick coating might cause these types of pieces to not fit as cleanly.

Matt@RFR
01-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Powder is typically less than .010" thick. For reference, printer paper is around .004" thick.

Damn True
01-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks dude.

Man, you've had an answer for every lame-o question of mine for the last week or so.

Let's try this one:

What rhymes with "Orange"?

Ralph LoGrasso
01-17-2006, 10:37 AM
What rhymes with "Orange"?

:lmao: "Door Hinge" and if this question / answer comes from the TV show I'm thinking it does, I'm going to question why you were watching it, and I'd expect you to question me as well, haha.

Damn True
01-17-2006, 10:42 AM
:lmao: "Door Hinge" and if this question / answer comes from the TV show I'm thinking it does, I'm going to question why you were watching it, and I'd expect you to question me as well, haha.

No idea what you are talking about.

Technicly, nothing rhymes with orange.
http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=orange&typeofrhyme=perfect&org1=syl&org2=l

parsonsj
01-17-2006, 10:43 AM
I've just spent the last 3 months getting things painted, plated, powder-coated, and anodized.

After seeing all that, for exterior parts I'd recommend powder-coating. You can get it done in a satin finish that will be very durable and not too shiny. Yes, the paint is a lot thicker than anodizing or plating, but it should still be ok for trim pieces.

jp

Damn True
01-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Cool.

Thanks ya'all.

How does the pricing break down for powdercoating?
Ive paid by the pound for cad plating bolts and stuff.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-17-2006, 10:47 AM
No idea what you are talking about.

Technicly, nothing rhymes with orange.
http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=orange&typeofrhyme=perfect&org1=syl&org2=l

It was something taken from a recent TV show. Nothing rhymes with orange, it was a joke on the show.

parsonsj
01-17-2006, 12:19 PM
How does the pricing break down for powdercoating?

I pay an hourly rate for "prep", which usually means some sort of media blasting, and a fixed amount depending on the paint color and whether or not it's a dual coat or ordinary single coat setup.

As an example, I paid $225 for about 30 brackets and sheetmetal parts (headlight buckets, grill mount brackets, etc.). I paid $185 for my rear end housing which was done with the dual coat.

jp

Damn True
01-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Oh wow. That is a lot more affordable than I had expected.

Of course, you are in MD and I am in CA. I'm guessing about 25% more to have it done here.
Still, not too bad.

parsonsj
01-17-2006, 12:36 PM
I did the powder-coating in West Virginia. So that is probably some of the lowest overheard around.

Anodizing is even cheaper. Strip, dip, and dye. One price ($100) assuming all the parts fit in the tank.

Just be sure to take everything at once to avoid color differences, and of course, 1 part costs $100 since it takes just as much time as 50.

jp

Matt@RFR
01-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Depends on who you find. I had an entire tube chassis powder coated for $300, and it was done in two days. Then I believe another $400 for all the interior and misc...rear end, suspension links, motor plates, etc.. That included media blasting, degreasing, color, and chasing all threads.

The shop is Platinum Powder Coating in Chico. Let me know if you think it's worth the drive or shipping.

Damn True
01-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Chico is an easy 3hr round trip from here (or six hr depending on time of day...lol) thanks for the tip Matt. I'll probably be able to just drive the stuff up there when the time comes.

True

Matt@RFR
01-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Oh yeah, this guy is definetely worth a three hour trip. You want to talk to Lloyd, his number is 530-342-9225. It's easy to find.

Damn True
08-18-2006, 12:29 AM
How hot does a powder coat oven get?

Any chance the '68 Camaro OE grille would survive that kinda heat?

ProTouring442
08-18-2006, 02:09 AM
I did the powder-coating in West Virginia. So that is probably some of the lowest overheard around.

Anodizing is even cheaper. Strip, dip, and dye. One price ($100) assuming all the parts fit in the tank.

Just be sure to take everything at once to avoid color differences, and of course, 1 part costs $100 since it takes just as much time as 50.

jp

What was the name of the place? Were you satisfied with their work? I have some stuff that will need to be coated.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

parsonsj
08-18-2006, 03:20 AM
How hot does a powder coat oven get?About 400 degrees. Your grill will survive just fine from the heat. But remember that sand blasting is a necessary prep step, and that's usually harder on parts than the heat.

jp

USAZR1
08-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Just to add to the discussion but you really do not want to anodize cast aluminum. Its high porosity absorbs the acid etch they use to prep the part and you probably won't be happy with the result. Billet or extruded aluminum parts anodize best.

I have an account with Performance Coatings in OKC. They just powdercoated a pair of sbc GMPP Bowtie valve covers for me last week,in Satin Titanium color. Cost was $60.

ZoomieFoosh
08-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Depends on who you find. I had an entire tube chassis powder coated for $300, and it was done in two days. Then I believe another $400 for all the interior and misc...rear end, suspension links, motor plates, etc.. That included media blasting, degreasing, color, and chasing all threads.

The shop is Platinum Powder Coating in Chico. Let me know if you think it's worth the drive or shipping.

Matt, do you know if they do High-Temp coatings like Jett Hot? I need to get some headers coated. I really like the result of powder coatings, I got my intake manifold and various parts done for my engine, check it out...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/08/IMG_0887-1.jpg

Matt@RFR
08-19-2006, 10:09 PM
They don't do anything but powdercoating, and I know of noone local to you or I. I'd just send it to Jet Hot if I were you, although there are others here who have had good results and lower prices from other places. Do a search here, this was mentioned in a thread a few months ago.