PDA

View Full Version : Late model Z28 rearend in my 1971 Nova ???

TRILOGYZ28
09-26-2004, 08:29 PM
ok, got a few questions for ya guys!
i am looking at putting a 98+ Z28 rearend in my 1971 Nova.
here's what i got so far.

stock 1971 Nova rear is 59.5 inches wide (outside lug stud flange to outside lug stud flange)

stock 1998+ Z28 rear is 64.75 inches wide (outside lug stud flange to outside lug stud flange)

for one, i know i'll have to cut all the old mounts off the Z rear and weld the stock mounts from the 71 Nova rear onto it.
thus, this will let me run a more higher positive offset wheel under my nova. (letting me achieve the look of a stock "face" depth wheel from a side and 3/4 view, but when you would look from directly behind the nova you will see alot of width stuffed under the car) kind of a "sleeper" look.

my main question is.
would this in any way adversely affect any handling of the nova??

(btw, i'll be running DSE deeptubs with the offset hangers)

zbugger
09-26-2004, 08:51 PM
I don't really see how it would. What's the front track width gonna be in comparison?

TRILOGYZ28
09-26-2004, 09:04 PM
I don't really see how it would. What's the front track width gonna be in comparison?

the front suspension setup will be a Wayne Due clip, i can have wayne make the track width very close to the rear track width. (maybe... :dunno: )
i do recall that the "mule" was running a Wayne Due front clip also, and had high positive offset wheels on the front.

zbugger
09-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Remember that your 4th gen has a similar setup. Find out the track on that and maybe you can have Wayne set up your Nova subframe pretty close to that.

MrQuick
09-26-2004, 09:13 PM
why not leave the 4th gen mounts on the rear and fab up a link suspension for it? That will give you alot of tuning oppertunity...sorry had to plant the seed...its a sickness I swear :dunno:

TRILOGYZ28
09-26-2004, 09:24 PM
why not leave the 4th gen mounts on the rear and fab up a link suspension for it? That will give you alot of tuning oppertunity...sorry had to plant the seed...its a sickness I swear :dunno:

gee, thanks vince ! :slap: :wedgie:
LOL !

TRILOGYZ28
09-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Remember that your 4th gen has a similar setup. Find out the track on that and maybe you can have Wayne set up your Nova subframe pretty close to that.

Thanks allen......i have had the gears turning in my head today thinking and measuring these, just been needin a lil input. :cheers:

now (thanks to vince :slap: ) they are turning in Overdrive.

MrQuick
09-26-2004, 09:51 PM
ha ha wise guy, nuck nuck i knew I smelled burning bacon?!?! oil dem bearings! he he :seizure: <----chuck

Q ship
09-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Just my opinion, but if you are planning on building decent power/traction a late model 7 5/8" rearend is not what I would want. It's a great idea in concept, but it would suck to pop the rearend after doing all that work.

TRILOGYZ28
09-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Just my opinion, but if you are planning on building decent power/traction a late model 7 5/8" rearend is not what I would want. It's a great idea in concept, but it would suck to pop the rearend after doing all that work.

i am just installing a stock 98+ ls1 drivetrain for now, so the stock ls1 rearend should be ok.
if i plan in the future to turbo or supercharge the ls1, definetly a 9 inch or 12 bolt would be in order.

LS1NOVA
09-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Personally, I Would Just Spend The 2,000 Now And Get A 12 Bolt Or 9 Inch That Wide To Start. Those 7 5/8 Rears Arent Even Good Enough For A Stock Lsx Combo Even In Stock Form. Nothing Like A Rearend Failure To Wreck A Nice Weekend Outing.

RSSSLS1
10-05-2004, 12:51 PM
I agree with LS1NOVA, the factory rearends in the 4th gen's are very weak. Go to www.ls1tech.com, under the rearend section, everyone is switching to a 12 bolt or 9 inch. The 7 5/8" ring gear is the same they use in s10's & astrovan (not big horse power viechels)
I have had problems twice on my 99 ss.

Just my opinion, but if you are going to do the fab work, make it worth it.

Later, Jeromie