PDA

View Full Version : Let the games begin.. Penny starts the transformation..

Steve1968LS2
01-13-2006, 05:38 PM
I have a sufficient pile of parts to start the process of turning Penny in a road warrior.. I'm just so damn ready to have a car to drive.. HARD! lol

Here you can see the 21st Century Street Machine Subframe, C5 parts, double adjustable Varishocks and AGR rack/pinion.. woot!

I have figured out my LS2 woes, the special T56 is in the house and brakes are on the way from Wilwood.. Afco is busy making the radiator and parts are flowing in.

Car is at a great shop in San Diego (Best in Show) and the she is just about ready for the new firewall and larger trans tunnel. After that she is off to party in Vegas with the guys at ATS then back here to get the front sheet metal hung.

So many details to keep track of but at least there's progress :twothumbs

bowtieguys
01-13-2006, 05:57 PM
That's an awesome plan coming together. Judging from your past ride, I know this will be a phenominal car. Maybe my car can grace the pages with yours one day! Keep up the good work.

J-Rod
01-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Steve, it looks horrible. Chuck it, start all over.

What was your address again? And when does trash pick up? lol

Looks great Steve, in the words of the simpsons comic book dude:

Best. Subframe. Ever.

I have a sufficient pile of parts to start the process of turning Penny in a road warrior.. I'm just so damn ready to have a car to drive.. HARD! lol

Here you can see the 21st Century Street Machine Subframe, C5 parts, double adjustable Varishocks and AGR rack/pinion.. woot!

I have figured out my LS2 woes, the special T56 is in the house and brakes are on the way from Wilwood.. Afco is busy making the radiator and parts are flowing in.

Car is at a great shop in San Diego (Best in Show) and the she is just about ready for the new firewall and larger trans tunnel. After that she is off to party in Vegas with the guys at ATS then back here to get the front sheet metal hung.

So many details to keep track of but at least there's progress :twothumbs

96Z28SS
01-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Knowing your other cars, this one will be just as good.

Good luck with your project, can't wait to hear you tear up the track with it, and get some data.

ProdigyCustoms
01-14-2006, 05:23 AM
I want to see the pics of the hacked up firewall and bondo dust.

JUSTACOUPE
01-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Good to see the penny will be up an running again ,maybe i can have one of the first looks at her and i can pick up those stickers from you

Steve1968LS2
01-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Good to see the penny will be up an running again ,maybe i can have one of the first looks at her and i can pick up those stickers from you

Sorry for flaking out on sending you an email back.. it was on my "list of things to do".. i get lots of mail spread out across half the interweb.. lol

but yea, we should be able to meet up somewhere or you can come by.. I have to dig around a bit and find an extra sticker.

Sunday is my "answer email day" so I will shoot you a note :)

Steve1968LS2
01-14-2006, 06:13 PM
I want to see the pics of the hacked up firewall and bondo dust.

Well we are close to hacking :)

we pulled the front sheet metal and we are completely smoothing the firewall.. the only remaining holes will be for the MC and the steering column, even the wire block is gone. the inner fenders and firewall will be shot in body color. I also have a core support closeout coming from DSE. I haven't decided what color I am gonna paint it.

The only mods needed for the subframe was a slight enlarging of the trans tunnel for the T56 (21st Century supplies the pre-formed parts).

The shop just recieved in their new tool to cut heavy gauge steel so my firewall should start next week.

As she sits now..

Raptor Pilot
01-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Wow, that is a sweet looking...everything.

wolfinator
01-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Well we are close to hacking :)

we pulled the front sheet metal and we are completely smoothing the firewall..
NIce car!! Do you work at this shop or own it? Lets see some action shots!!

Steve1968LS2
01-16-2006, 05:02 PM
NIce car!! Do you work at this shop or own it? Lets see some action shots!!

Neither, I throw money at them and they let me watch them do things outside my skill set. My shop is the size of a two car garage.. lol

Action shots in a paint/body shop?? lol.. maybe some flying sparks.. ;)

wolfinator
01-16-2006, 05:53 PM
cool, okay no action shots, but I hope we get some step by step shots!

trapin
01-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Steve....what was the old subframe? Doesn't look stock.

Steve1968LS2
01-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Steve....what was the old subframe? Doesn't look stock.

It wasn't.. Fatman sub with MII components.. ok for cruising or drag racing but not the best choice for handling. Oh, and the rack leaked like crazy..

Nothing against the Fatman sub, just that the C5 21st Century one will better fit the goals of the car.

olds87
01-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Is there any update on Penny? That is a nice car.

protour_chevelle
01-30-2006, 02:03 PM
That is a nice car.

Hardly :ssst: Just jokin Steve!

-Matt

Steve1968LS2
01-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Hardly :ssst: Just jokin Steve!

-Matt

Why I outta..... :box:

:)

Picked up the coated headers today.. had them done in what they call "titanium".. it's a nice dull sorta gold/grey color. I also got my thermal coated alternator, 14" Wilwood brakes, AFCO custom radiator, and my cam and various goodies from COMP.

The LS2 head to Westech on wednesday so we can start getting it ready for the testing (after we swap reluctor wheels).

The cam is 230/232 114+2 LSA .. not crazy big but optimized for low and midrange power, should sound nice as well. Also have the full roller rockers from COMP and a FAST intake. The stage II AFR heads should be here any day. It's crazy trying to think of all the parts needed.. makes me dizzy sometimes.

I will snap a few pics of the girl this Friday at the shop.

olds87
01-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Sound like its going to be a sweet car.

Steve1968LS2
02-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Most of the parts are in.. now I just have to put them on the car! lol

Gonna go check on the bodywork tomorrow and see how the firewall is progressing. I am also going to beef up where the fuel cell mounts.

gen3bu
02-05-2006, 04:50 PM
looks like someone had a good x-mas

olds87
02-06-2006, 09:21 AM
That is a lot of stuff.

Travis B
02-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Most of the parts are in.. now I just have to put them on the car! lol

Gonna go check on the bodywork tomorrow and see how the firewall is progressing. I am also going to beef up where the fuel cell mounts.

new job must be woeking out nicley.....there is a lot of cash laying there.... :drool:

speedster
02-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Oh, the horror of all those parts strewn across the floor... That looks like a complete mess, please box them up and send them to me so you can get that floor cleaned up again ! Here's my FedEx shipping number: 5551212. :slap:

Steve1968LS2
02-06-2006, 11:06 AM
new job must be woeking out nicley.....there is a lot of cash laying there.... :drool:

And the good parts aren't even in view! About the only thing holding up the parade are the problems with programing the '06 LS2.. and yes, I will detail these "issues" in the story.

I am driving down to visit the girl now.. I will snap a pic of her all torn up.

Steve1968LS2
02-06-2006, 11:07 AM

And the good parts aren't even in view! About the only thing holding up the parade are the problems with programing the '06 LS2.. and yes, I will detail these "issues" in the story.

I am driving down to visit the girl now.. I will snap a pic of her all torn up.

Oh, the horror of all those parts strewn across the floor... That looks like a complete mess, please box them up and send them to me so you can get that floor cleaned up again ! Here's my FedEx shipping number: 5551212. :slap:

Man.. you guys are so good to me.. almost makes me teary eyed.. almost.. lol

Steve1968LS2
02-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Well.. she isn't 2/3rds the car she used to be.. lol

All the bumps have been cut off the firewall, looks like I am commited to running the fly by wire throttle body now since the factory gas pedal mount is GONE. A solid plate of steel is going to be welded over the factory firewall.

The trans tunnel gets replaced next week (to accomodate the T56) and I will start putting together the front subframe so it can be bolted in place.

datsbad
02-06-2006, 07:11 PM
why change the trans tunnel again???

Steve1968LS2
02-06-2006, 07:22 PM
why change the trans tunnel again???

How can I change it again when it has never been changed in the first place.. :bananna2:

The tunnel in the car is factory fresh.. sort of a shame to cut it out but we need more room for the T56..

Why did you think I had changed it before?

Beegs
02-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Wow! Nice and clean, I love cars that are NOT rusty and cruddy in those hidden areas. Does the car have all of its original sheetmetal? Very nice!

Steve1968LS2
02-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Wow! Nice and clean, I love cars that are NOT rusty and cruddy in those hidden areas. Does the car have all of its original sheetmetal? Very nice!

Yep.. no rust anywhere.. all original metal.

The story goes that I'm the 4th owner.. lady owned it new and drove it very little. Then it went to a drag racer that modified it and did the NHRA Sportsman class with it. Next guy bought it and painted it and worked it over some. It had Pro-Touring wheels but was really a pro-street car.

Now I own it and Im trying to make it perform like it looked.

After my last car I can't tell you how nice it is to pull off a door panel and see factory virgin sheetmetal untouched by rust..

4MuscleMachines
02-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Coming along real good, but I would insist on having the car taped and covered in plastic all the time to prevent any scratches, overspray on the exterior or dust inside.:smoke:

Steve1968LS2
02-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Coming along real good, but I would insist on having the car taped and covered in plastic all the time to prevent any scratches, overspray on the exterior or dust inside.:smoke:

Well the car has no interior so Im not worried about dust in it.. and the shop is taking VERY good car of Penny.. even keeping her covered and dusted off :)

One of the best shops I have ever had to deal with.

zbugger
02-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Well the car has no interior so Im not worried about dust in it.. and the shop is taking VERY good car of Penny.. even keeping her covered and dusted off :)

One of the best shops I have ever had to deal with.
lol... Sounds like they're good at brown nosing you. They seem to know who to be good to, don't they? I doubt they'd want any sort of bad press....

Just kidding. I've been :Alchy: .

Steve1968LS2
02-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Just kidding. I've been :Alchy: .

Really? I couldn't tell.. :moon:

Actually them being nice to "regular joe" customers is what led me to their doorstep.. Oh, don't think I am not paying big bucks there cause I am

Now go sober up before I have to hit ya with the ban stick.. :slap:

Travis B
02-07-2006, 09:10 AM

can mods ban each other? I would think you could just unban yourself....couldn't you?

Roger Poirier
02-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Have you decided what to do with the front air dam set up that you had on the car. Replacing it? Putting it back on?

Whats the scoop?

R.P.

zbugger
02-07-2006, 05:08 PM
One word..... Seniority. Now get to writing!!!

novanutcase
02-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Wow... VERY impressive...If you don;t mind i would love to pick your brain for parts and other types of sources....

Steve1968LS2
02-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Wow... VERY impressive...If you don;t mind i would love to pick your brain for parts and other types of sources....

No problem.. your even local :)

New parts arrived for Penny..

1. 14" 6-piston Wilwoods :yum:

2. DSE Radiator Blockoff

3. McLeod shifter

4. Headers back from Coater.. they are done in a termal coating called "titanium".. I really like the industrial look which is what I am shooting for in the engine bay.. Them 21st Century tubes are sweet!

Roger Poirier
02-12-2006, 05:43 PM
You still have not mentioned what you are going to do with the front valance pan. See my earlier thread. If you are going this far......

R.P.

Steve1968LS2
02-12-2006, 05:46 PM
You still have not mentioned what you are going to do with the front valance pan. See my earlier thread. If you are going this far......

R.P.

WHATYOUTALKINGABOUTWILLIS??

You mean the core support? upper valance or lower?

Sorry, Im old and senile..

Roger Poirier
02-12-2006, 05:50 PM
The lower front air dam system that sits below the grille you had on the car when you bought it. It was crude but mean looking.

R.P.

Steve1968LS2
02-12-2006, 06:22 PM
The lower front air dam system that sits below the grille you had on the car when you bought it. It was crude but mean looking.

R.P.

Ahh.. the lower spoiler.. I like the idea but now how he did it.. Eventually I want to make a lower spoiler with molded in ducts. Also you can just point a tube at the rotors or they will cool unevenly and that will cause problems. You need a way to force the air into the right area of the rotor. :)

trapin
02-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Steve...I'm going to ask a potential stupid question.

Why are there 2 shifters on that transmission?

Steve1968LS2
02-13-2006, 08:02 AM

For backseat drivers of course.. :screwy:

Actually that is the unit McLeod uses to show the different mounting positions possible for the shifter.

speedster
02-13-2006, 08:16 AM
I thought it's just 'cause Steve wanted to shift more often. :drive:

speedster
02-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Steve -
Do you have a pic of what you want the lower valence to look like ?

zman1969
02-17-2006, 05:19 AM

new 12 speed? :lmao:
- who makes the headers?

Steve1968LS2
02-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Steve -
Do you have a pic of what you want the lower valence to look like ?

No.. I have an idea but that's down the line once I get the darn car done.

We are still stuck on the '06 LS2.. GMPP would prefer that I didn't rip out the crank to swap reluctors so we are in a holding pattern in regards to programming.

Penny hits the rack next week for the firewall install and we will start to assemble the 21st Century C5 subframe. We will also be welding mounts for the truly HUGE Barry Grant external fuel pump and bracking the fuel tank hold a bit.

It's fun to hemorage cash.. :bananna2:

Meanwhile a bunch of tires showed up at the homestead.. and a 90mm FAST Intake and custom rails.

335/30/18 Toyo R1 Competition tires for the rear
275/35/18 Toyo R1 Competition tires for the front

All four tires stacked up was almost 5 feet tall :cool:

srh3trinity
02-23-2006, 12:58 PM
I like the fact that the brakes are a larger diameter than standard wheels of the car's era.

olds87
03-07-2006, 09:41 AM
What is the update on Penny?

CAMAROBOY69
03-07-2006, 09:46 AM
I was wondering the same thing.

olds87
03-07-2006, 12:36 PM
What is the update on Penny?

Is some one going to ask the question?

RyanJ
03-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Steve, bite the bullet and buy BS3 :)

Or, see if the LS7 and new-style LS2 have the same PCM. If so, and if you can get an LS2 PCM, get Vette Doctors, 21st Century Motorsports, HPE, etc. to tune that PCM for you. THey are tuning LS7 vettes I believe.

formula
03-08-2006, 02:27 PM

Or, see if the LS7 and new-style LS2 have the same PCM. If so, and if you can get an LS2 PCM, get Vette Doctors, 21st Century Motorsports, HPE, etc. to tune that PCM for you. THey are tuning LS7 vettes I believe.

Isn't the ls7 pcm math based and the ls2 table based? they may have changed this since I heard last, so correct me if I'm wrong...

Steve1968LS2
03-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Isn't the ls7 pcm math based and the ls2 table based? they may have changed this since I heard last, so correct me if I'm wrong...

For 2006 LS2's they are the same wacked out programming as a 2006 LS7.. The 58x tooth reluctor = math based programming..

And hence why my project is a bit stalled.. :(

Steve1968LS2
03-08-2006, 02:55 PM

Remember, the programming for tuning an LS7/LS2 is different than what is needed for a transplant. For a transplant you need to turn off the VATS and that is were many companies are stuck.

67RScamaroVette
03-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Steve, where did you get those headers coated, and how much change did you drop to have them done? Stuff looks awesome. I cant wait to see it done. What're you doing with the "old" subframe?

olly

Steve1968LS2
03-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Steve, where did you get those headers coated, and how much change did you drop to have them done? Stuff looks awesome. I cant wait to see it done. What're you doing with the "old" subframe?

olly

Embee Performance in Santa Ana, CA.. great place and they do just about everything (powder, thermal, anodizing) etc..

Here are some updated pics. high spots removed from firewall. 18ga steel cut out for new firewall. Only stuff on it will be the Master Cyl, clutch master and steering column..

Intten fenders shot in body color as was the bottom of the new hood.

DSE billet hood hinges arrived, even nicer in person and worth (to me) the money. Also got my tires a bit ago and ordered my Racepak track computer. Heads should be here any day and I am just waiting for programming.

We will also be dynacoring the underside. Lots of parts piled up in my garage.. lol

67RScamaroVette
03-08-2006, 08:03 PM
You rock, steve. I'll hit them up this week. My car is in exactly the same position as yours right now, i'm blasting my firewall on a small wheely dolly thing i made. I've got sand in holes i didnt' know existed (not the car, me..) . You'd better take LOTS of assembly pics, before that trick stuff gets hidden :)
olly

Scream
03-09-2006, 06:02 AM
Lookin' good Steve! I really love that color, and can't wait to see it finished!

Roger Poirier
03-09-2006, 06:14 PM
My question is..... When replacing a new front sub frame, how difficult is it to line up the body panels that go back on the car? Having paint already completed on your car, is this going to be a problem? My GTO body was a nightmare and thats with a full frame car.

R.P.

Steve1968LS2
03-09-2006, 07:05 PM
My question is..... When replacing a new front sub frame, how difficult is it to line up the body panels that go back on the car? Having paint already completed on your car, is this going to be a problem? My GTO body was a nightmare and thats with a full frame car.

R.P.

No problem.. at least it wasn't last time.. lol

The guys at Best of Show autobody seem to have it all figured out and don't feel it will be an issue. I will certainly report if it's a problem but lots of guys swap out subframes and don't repaint thier whole car.

trapin
03-21-2006, 05:37 AM
Steve....I'm curious about the 18 gauge fill plate that your doing across the entire firewall. You say the only holes will be steering column, MC, MC Clutch. Where are you mounting the wiper assembly? Or are you not doing wipers? Ignition box? Wireing harness throughput? Throttle linkage?

When you address those areas, I'd love to see some detailed pictures of their execution. Also...any detailed pictures of the filler plate and how it was sutured to the firewall? I'd like to see that too. Not too happy with my DS&E closeout...I want something cleaner.

Penny's looking good. Can't wait to see her finished.

Steve1968LS2
03-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Steve....I'm curious about the 18 gauge fill plate that your doing across the entire firewall. You say the only holes will be steering column, MC, MC Clutch. Where are you mounting the wiper assembly? Or are you not doing wipers? Ignition box? Wireing harness throughput? Throttle linkage?

When you address those areas, I'd love to see some detailed pictures of their execution. Also...any detailed pictures of the filler plate and how it was sutured to the firewall? I'd like to see that too. Not too happy with my DS&E closeout...I want something cleaner.

Penny's looking good. Can't wait to see her finished.

No wipers.. the previous owner did a great job deleteting the holes from the rear valance si I decided to ditch them all together. A little rain-x should get it done. Penny is very low option although she does have a GPS tracked track computer.. lol

No ignition box on the LS2, just a ECU which will be mounted to the interior side of the firewall on a special braket. The wire loom will enter the car through the trans tunnel. I am running the fly-by-wire system so no throttle cable. :D

I will see about getting more pics of the firewall for you. When you say you wish your DSE closeout was "cleaner" what do you mean? Are you talking about the tooling marks? I plan on painting mine some color like black or dark charcoal and closing off the hood latch area.

My AFR heads arrived yesterday.. sweet!

formula
03-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Remember, the programming for tuning an LS7/LS2 is different than what is needed for a transplant. For a transplant you need to turn off the VATS and that is were many companies are stuck.

How difficult would it be to integrate VATS into your car? Probably a hefty bit of work, but it would sure be cool to brag about and might even save your car someday.

(forgive me if this is a completely stupid question)

Steve1968LS2
03-21-2006, 06:47 PM
How difficult would it be to integrate VATS into your car? Probably a hefty bit of work, but it would sure be cool to brag about and might even save your car someday.

(forgive me if this is a completely stupid question)

Not a stupid question (no such thing).. it would be VERY hard since it would require all sorts of stuff like the GM smart key (the ignition key with the chip) and all the other anti-theft stuff. Easier to just remove the VATS (vehicle anti-theft system) from the ECU.

Got my ATS clutch stuff today.. the parts just keep rolling in :)

Nutsy
03-21-2006, 10:10 PM
When you say you wish your DSE closeout was "cleaner" what do you mean? Are you talking about the tooling marks? I plan on painting mine some color like black or dark charcoal and closing off the hood latch area.

I think he means the DSE Firewall closeout, not the core support closeout.

Steve1968LS2
03-21-2006, 10:11 PM
I think he means the DSE Firewall closeout, not the core support closeout.

:pat:

Well that makes a bit more sense.

Nice part is that they saved the template from my firewall :)

trapin
03-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Great. Have them roll it up and stick it in a shipping tube to send out to me. :smoke:

Actually I think I know how I can do it. I'm going to have to make a run up to the art store for some materials and then get a price on a piece of 18 gauge steel big enough for that firewall. That's gonna be tricky.

I'm curious what they did about the body mount window on the drivers side. If my memory serves me correct I think that jutts out forward of the rest of the wall. Did they have to do some fabrication in there before putting on the new sheet?

Steve1968LS2
03-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Great. Have them roll it up and stick it in a shipping tube to send out to me. :smoke:

Actually I think I know how I can do it. I'm going to have to make a run up to the art store for some materials and then get a price on a piece of 18 gauge steel big enough for that firewall. That's gonna be tricky.

I'm curious what they did about the body mount window on the drivers side. If my memory serves me correct I think that jutts out forward of the rest of the wall. Did they have to do some fabrication in there before putting on the new sheet?

That part was cut away.. as was ANY bump that stuck out. The new plate is being bonded to the old firewall with a super epoxy and then perimiter welded. Should make the whole deal much stronger. I think you can see that if you look at some of the earlier pics in this thread. PM me and I can email you the high res picture.

Maybe I could trace the template out for you if your serious.. would give you a head start..

trapin
03-23-2006, 08:25 AM
Yes, I am serious. It'll take 5 or 6 grinder discs but I think I can get through it. I'd like to know what that super epoxy is too. Thanks...I'll PM you my e-mail address.

JLM
03-23-2006, 09:15 AM
The epoxy is a metal bonding compound made by 3M. I used it on my quarter panels.

You have to be very precise with the mixtures though. If you don't pay enough attention to each part of the epoxy it'll never cure and it leaves you with a sticky mess and the need to start over. I also found that it's better suited for flat surfaces rather than contours. I don't know if that will affect you or not.

trapin
03-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks. What's it called? Do you have a part number?

JLM
03-24-2006, 08:16 AM

I'm pretty sure it's called 3M Panel Bond. I'll get the part number when I get off work tonight and send you a PM.

You need a dual canister gun to use it as well. Of you can braek open the tubes and mix on a piece of scrap metal. The gun didn't work well for me as it didn't mix the two chemicals properly.

If you get it right the stuff is rock hard...you'll tear the metal before it'll seperate from the panel you're bonding it too. Then you can simply sand away the excess. makes a real nice seam.

Edit: Pulled the part number from 3M's site...

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GSNPLCPK5Bbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/gvel_6DTWTJQPBBgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Ralph LoGrasso
03-24-2006, 01:22 PM
My Uncle went to a demonstration for the 3M epoxy stuff, he said it was incredible how it worked and also how well it worked.

Steve1968LS2
03-24-2006, 08:00 PM

Here is what my shop uses.. it's called FUSOR and man 'o man.. does it stick two peices of metal together FOREVER.. lol

I think it might be a product of 3M.. they have a website www.fusor.com (http://www.fusor.com)

Here a pic of the bottle:

Steve1968LS2
03-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Firewall is almost ready to be bonded and then welded. The holes are cut for the master cylinder and steering column. Not that I have my ATS clutch master and bracket we can cut that hole as well.

That's it.. only three holes in my entire firewall.. The new trans tunnel has been tacked in place and it is raised almost 2 inches at the firewall for T56 clearance. The pre-fabbed pieces from 21st Century made it a LOT easier. Next week it will all get welded then the studs for my fly by wire throttle peddle will be welded on.

Last pic is where I have decided to mount my GPS antenna for the track data logging computer. It's magnetic so if I want I can open the trunk.. unstick it from the outside and stick it to the inside of the trunk.

gmachine68
03-24-2006, 09:02 PM
yes fusor is some of the best stuff out, sem is pretty good to, i use all fusor however, whether its fiberglass bonding, tpo bumpers, and glueing hidden seams, such as outer wheelhouses, tailpanel to 1/4, rear window fillers etc,
looks great, i bet you cannot wait to see it done, when is the due date?

olds87
03-25-2006, 02:12 PM
The car look comeing together nicely.

Steve1968LS2
03-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Cooling system is all together now..

67RScamaroVette
03-26-2006, 05:50 PM

:eek: Wow. Steve, I must ask, what, where, and how much? That's NIIICE.
olly

edit: saw "afco" on labels, it's google time!

Steve1968LS2
03-26-2006, 06:00 PM
:eek: Wow. Steve, I must ask, what, where, and how much? That's NIIICE.
olly

edit: saw "afco" on labels, it's google time!

Pretty cheap actually.. These are RETAIL prices.. I think they sell at Jobber so it should be cheaper..

Fan Shroud, fan and electronics = $290

Radiator (custom ordered) = $519

Steve1968LS2
04-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Well the project should be moving FAST now since we have programing lined up for the LS2. The dyno stuff should happen in the next 1.5 weeks.

The new firewall has been bonded on and will be welded on Monday. The new trans tunnel has been welded in place along with the transition.

All holes have been cut in the firewall (brake master, steering column, clutch master). The ATS bracket made installing the clutch master a breeze!

In less than two weeks the whole deal will be painted and the undercoating done.

The subframe from 21st Century is at the shop now and I will start bolting on parts next week. I need to figure out a way to weigh it.

Rick's Hot Rods is finishing up my new tank and all the other parts are in my garage except the new guages. There might be light at the end of the tunnel..

Jims78elky
04-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Steve,

You probably said this before,but are you having Hot Rods
and customs do your body work and paint on penny? I've
been a fan of there work for awhile now,really nice projects
roll out of that shop these days.They did a very nice job on
your 69 camaro,that you sold 20+ times on eBay lol..:rotfl:

And that sub-frame is very sexy!

Steve1968LS2
04-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Steve,

You probably said this before,but are you having Hot Rods
and customs do your body work and paint on penny? I've
been a fan of there work for awhile now,really nice projects
roll out of that shop these days.They did a very nice job on
your 69 camaro,that you sold 20+ times on eBay lol..:rotfl:

And that sub-frame is very sexy!

No.. they were WAY too expensive and thier rates keep going up (I think it's $125 an hour now)..

I am using a new shop just down the stree from HRCS called Best In Show Coachworks. So far I am very happy with them and how they run thier business. Other notable cars at BOS is Mark Magers Mopar (lateral dynamics) and Jeff's 2nd gen (the owner of Classic-5-Speed).

alcino
04-07-2006, 03:28 PM
How's it looking for the May 13ish Steve? You think it will be ready? And don't ask for what, you know what.
:drive1:

Steve1968LS2
04-07-2006, 03:46 PM
How's it looking for the May 13ish Steve? You think it will be ready? And don't ask for what, you know what.
:drive1:

Doubt it.. but I should have my backup ride by then :)

alcino
04-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Good enough.

camaro608
04-07-2006, 04:59 PM
i love the firewall
(oh yah good luck)

Mean 69
04-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Ooooh, Steve. I have good news, and bad news. One, I spent some time at Best of Show today working on my mini-tubs, right next to your car. The good news is, there were at least two guys working on it at any given time (except for when **** was welding), and they made some serious progress today. Bad news? Two of the guys were the most expensive guys in the shop, ****, and John. Those old farts don't come cheap, so you might want to look at the balance in your checkbook! :help:

I'll drop a pic later today, it looks terrific, mine should be done by the end of the week too (firewall, that is).
M

P.S: The name that is blinked out is short for Richard, I guess the edit function didn't like it!!!!

Steve1968LS2
04-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Ooooh, Steve. I have good news, and bad news. One, I spent some time at Best of Show today working on my mini-tubs, right next to your car. The good news is, there were at least two guys working on it at any given time (except for when **** was welding), and they made some serious progress today. Bad news? Two of the guys were the most expensive guys in the shop, ****, and John. Those old farts don't come cheap, so you might want to look at the balance in your checkbook! :help:

I'll drop a pic later today, it looks terrific, mine should be done by the end of the week too (firewall, that is).
M

Two old farts working on my car.. and when primer hits metal (today) :woot:

StRacerDuke
04-12-2006, 02:28 PM
I hope they're not done with the body work on the firewall because I can see the upper wave in it (top part of the reflection in the primer picture) 3000 miles away in New Haven!

Just poking at yea Stevo. Congrat's on being able to finance most of this at 'Magazine cost'. Looking good.

Steve1968LS2
04-12-2006, 03:15 PM
I hope they're not done with the body work on the firewall because I can see the upper wave in it (top part of the reflection in the primer picture) 3000 miles away in New Haven!

Just poking at yea Stevo. Congrat's on being able to finance most of this at 'Magazine cost'. Looking good.

I'm confident it will be straight when they are done.. after all, it's a flat single piece of sheet metal.. how hard could it be?? lol -- should have paint early next week.

Yea, it's one perk of the job. However I will still have well over $8k into this "makeover" when done. At least she won't just be talking the talk anymore..

Steve1968LS2
04-27-2006, 08:50 AM
welded in the bracket for the fly-by-wire gas pedal, so it was time to shoot the firewall.

Came out nice. It's not perfectly flat, but it looks damn good and will look better once all the fenders are re-hung and the engine is in there. It was tough to get it all flat without cutting away the entire factory firewall. Certainly good enough since this isn't a show car but a street car that I won't be embarrased to take to shows :)

Next week we assemble the 21st Century subframe and on Thursday we dyno the stock LS2 and stuff all the go-fast goodies in to it. After that it should go fairly quickly.

Payton King
04-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Starting to get close...I know you are getting excited.

Not sure how Penny is going to like you picking up another woman while she is down.

colt zantop
04-27-2006, 10:42 AM
looking good! keep those pics coming!

jimhamptons
04-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Looking good Steve!

69Nova
04-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Thats look awsome Steve.

Kenova
04-29-2006, 06:05 PM
This is my third time skimming through this thread and I only just noticed your rad :pat: ..... a dual pass. Having both hose nipples on the same side will certainly tidy up the engine bay. It will look a lot better than having 3 1/2 feet of hose running to the other side. I guess it is safe to assume that you won't be giving up any cooling capacity?
Ken

Steve1968LS2
05-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Nope, no cooling capacity is given up. I ran the same deal on my '69 and it ran nice and cool. :)

Ok, the undercoating is done.. mark it off the list. Engine Dyno is this Thursday then it can be stuffed in the car.

BuddyP
05-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Steve, car is looking awsome! What did you use for undercoating? Is it rubbery or hard? I planned on using that bed liner stuff for undercoating on my '68 (a buddy of mine is a Line-X dealer). Sprays on nice and even and is rock hard.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

colt zantop
05-01-2006, 11:17 AM
as always...looking good! cant wait to see the finished product!!

BonzoHansen
05-01-2006, 11:45 AM
What undercoating is that? It looks like bedliner.

scogin918
05-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Nice undercoating. What brand is that anyway? It looks like it could help me hide some minor issues underneath my car. Not too mention I wouldn't be nearly as worried about rocks hitting underneath the car like I would be if I had it painted. I want to drive it, not worry about it.

Steve1968LS2
05-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Nice undercoating. What brand is that anyway? It looks like it could help me hide some minor issues underneath my car. Not too mention I wouldn't be nearly as worried about rocks hitting underneath the car like I would be if I had it painted. I want to drive it, not worry about it.

I finally got that info..

FUSER – Wheelhouse textured coating and sealer .. part number 805

7 tubes weigh about 5lbs.. Once the solvents evap away I bet it only added three-four pounds to the car. The finish is slighly rubbery, good for rocks.

Hope this helps..

6'9"Witha69
05-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Where's the rest of the updates?!?!

Steve1968LS2
05-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Where's the rest of the updates?!?!

Lets see.. the LS2 made 573hp and 505ft lbs of torque on the engine dyno when I got done stuffing parts in it :)

We build and install the front subframe on Monday..

I will have new pics at that time.. been busy writing the new book and working on Johnny's car ;)

Todds69
05-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Maybe this will help.
http://www.lord.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1204#805

Steve1968LS2
05-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Maybe this will help.
http://www.lord.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1204#805

Yep, that's the stuff.. pretty lightweight compared to others. We also used the void filling foam :)

As for Penny.. we were supposed to do the suspension yesterday (Monday) but I was sick as a dog.. Now we have to wait till Thursday or next Tuesday (Monday = holiday).. :banghead:

To rub it in the shop sent me this pic.. she was all ready :(

DJW32
05-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Steve,
The car is looking better and better!

What are you going to do with the front rack(the piece of metal that is holding up the front end in the picture) once you have the suspension on?

Steve1968LS2
05-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Steve,
The car is looking better and better!

What are you going to do with the front rack(the piece of metal that is holding up the front end in the picture) once you have the suspension on?

I suppose I will let the shop keep it for thier next camaro.. it's pretty handing for rolling them around without a front clip..