PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler versus Radiator Efficiency

speedster
01-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Does anyone that has used an intercooler had problems with insufficient radiator cooling?
I have been trying to gather information. Larry (Callahan) has been great in providing dimensional info, I have spoken with Tim at Ron Davis radiators, but I was also digging to see if any one has real world experience/problems/suggestions.
i.e. Thicker intercooler versus wider/taller/thinner.
Spacing between intercooler and radiator.
Alternative placement for air conditioning cooler
Any input is greatly appreciated. I would like to order it by the end of next week.
Tanx !!

Patrick
01-14-2006, 05:30 AM
I have attached a couple of photos of my turbo'd 240z. I used a Spearco Intercooler and a custom Aluminum Radiator. If you notice in the picture without the hood, the Intercooler and Oil Cooler almost completely block the Radiator. With the hood and spoiler on, the radiator has almost no directly exposed surface. I used a good electric fan with a custom shroud. The gap between the Intercooler and Rad was about 4 inches. This allowed the fan to pull cool air around the Intercooler at low speeds. This car was driven daily (and very hard -23lbs of boost) in the hot Florida sun and I never had any overheating problems.

I have a book on Turbo Charging (cant remember the name) that discusses surfaces areas for both the Intercooler and Radiators. I will try to find it and let you know. As far as the type of intercooler, let a pro help you choose the right one for your application: flow, pressure drop, and efficiency are all extremely important in choosing the correct intercooler.

speedster
01-14-2006, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the info Patrick.
That's a sweet looking Z. 240's are so nice.

Your climate conditions are the same as mine since you probably live an hour away so thanks for the real world data. If you do find that book, please post it and I will order it online. Are you going to Power Tour with your car ?

One of my roomates in college had a '71 and we rebuilt the 151, incresed the compput in a Crane "group 5" cam, Header, and changed the intake and carb to a 4bbl 390 cfm holley. Those engines scream.

Patrick
01-14-2006, 06:37 AM
The book was MAXIMUM BOOST by Corky Bell.

And yes I plan on being at Power Tour but with my '68 Camaro--If I can finish it in time!!!

ps...Yeah the 240z Screamed...I ran 11.70 at 120mph on street tires and pump gas!!

speedster
01-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the info Patrick.

I will find that book and buy a copy.

Sounds like you're in the same boat that I am.
Trying to finish the car by Power Tour time.

Either way, I will be there, look forward to meeting you.

speedster
01-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Hey Patrick -

Thanks again.
Went online and found the book's ISBN: 0837601606.
Called up the local Barnes and Noble.
They had it in, went down with kids and bought it.
Reading it now. Especially Section 5 on intercooling.
I love the internet and this forum.

Take Care,
-Bruce