PDA

View Full Version : paint for a new frame

Hutchracer
02-02-2024, 05:47 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Just looking for people's experience with painting a new bare frame. I was looking at products like POR-15 and the Eastwood frame paint. I am looking for something I can do myself in the garage and touch up if need be. I am looking to do the frame, rear end housing and the front control arms. I also live on a gravel driveway so that is part of the reason I am looking for something that can be touched up if needed. I was also wondering about the need to use seem sealer on the welds.

Looking to learn from people's experience and I am open to suggestions.

dhutton
02-03-2024, 04:20 AM
I use three coats of SPI black epoxy primer. Tough as nails once it cures and it has a lot of UV protection. Just go easy on the first coat. I put it out in the sun for a couple of days to accelerate the cure. Easily touched up if needed.

Scuff it with 80 grit on a DA and 180 by hand after thoroughly degreasing to insure good adhesion.

Don

Hutchracer
02-05-2024, 09:19 PM
good to know I will look that up. Thanks Don

nekkidhillbilly
02-07-2024, 09:40 AM
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/?AffId=61

I like kbs over por15. Similar product but slightly better durability and a bit cheaper. I am part of there affiliate program but I firmly believe in the product and have used it.