PDA

View Full Version : designing in CAD

Factory48
01-28-2024, 04:37 AM
I designed my shop in CAD so I could visualize how things were going to layout and function. 6 years after completion It’s still working pretty well for me. Only a handful of things I’d change. I’d say, for any of you that are planning on building, consider drawing it up in CAD. You don’t need a high end program for it. In fact Sketchup is probably one of the best for it only because it’s cheap (or free) and you can download and insert available models of cars, trucks, trailers, machines, sinks, lifts etc etc and move them around to see how everything will work in the space.

best of luck to everyone!

Lonnies Performance
01-28-2024, 08:18 AM
I did the same on my building using AutoCAD.

I started the process when locating the building on my property. First, I drew the property, then my house & the garage location.
Afterwards I did all the layout of my driveway which allowed me to budget the amount of stone, blacktop etc. to make sure the contractor was giving me valid quotes.

I kept adding as things evolved & it made me adjust the building size twice.
Now when I want to move/rearrange something, it is easy to do it on paper first.

It came in very handy when determining clearances around equipment, cars etc. I also used it for the radiant floor tubing, all the conduit runs & even to calculate the quantity of wiring, conduit & PEX tubing needed. I now also have a record of where all of my drainpipes & underground utilities are.

Factory48
01-28-2024, 08:58 AM
nice, it’s super handy and can save a lot of frustration later on.

IMPALAMAN1
03-04-2024, 06:07 PM
how big is it? what would you change. or add?