PDA

View Full Version : Evans coolant, anyone tried it?

ss dave
01-12-2006, 11:12 PM
From what I can see this stuff sounds great, any experience with this-pro, con?

SoCal69
01-27-2006, 07:26 PM
It's expensive but it works great. We have some pretty hot summers here and the ol' steetrod tended to get kinda HOT. Evans fixed it. You just have to think about your cooling system differently because it transfers heat so fast. I run it in my big block and with the A/C on idling in traffic on a 100 degree plus day it runs at 170 degrees.:twothumbs

ss dave
01-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Hey, thanks for the info. Saw a program that talked about the stuff and I was really impressed. I have a hot cam SBC that tends to run hot and was thinking about switching over- now i will. tried Wetter Water but saw just a little improvement on warm days.

GetMore
01-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Which version are you using? NPG or NPG+

John Monnin
01-29-2006, 06:38 PM
typoMake sure you have a warning light or a even better a programmable temperature gauge that can be set to light up a a certain temperature. Nexus, Defi, Greddy or Apexi make them.

I had a friend running Evans in his Stealth at Road America and he forgot to double check his gauges as often as he should have . When he finally looked his temperature gauge was something obscene like 290F! (what Temp does evens boil at with 20 psi cap?). Since the evans doesn't boil over as quickly you can really cook your engine if you are not observant.

ss dave
01-29-2006, 08:03 PM
They recommend NPG+. John the reason for changing to Evans is to prevent hot temps, can you elaborate on any problems?. I also plan on changing the thermostat from a 180 to a 160.

Travis B
01-30-2006, 06:41 AM
I had it in a BBC didn't notice much of a difference it still got warm on hot days in traffic

andrewb70
01-30-2006, 09:28 AM
typoMake sure you have a warning light or a even better a programmable temperature gauge that can be set to light up a a certain temperature. Nexus, Defi, Greddy or Apexi make them.

I had a friend running Evans in his Stealth at Road America and he forgot to double check his gauges as often as he should have . When he finally looked his temperature gauge was something obscene like 290F! (what Temp does evens boil at with 20 psi cap?). Since the evans doesn't boil over as quickly you can really cook your engine if you are not observant.

At zero pressure in the system, NPG has a boiling point of 370 degrees F. The whole point of using it is being able to run higher temperatures for better efficiency. You have to pay close attension to oil temperature!

I run it in my RX7 with poor airflow and a smallish radiator. In the summer it is routinely at 220-230 degrees.

Andrew

Andrew

SoCal69
01-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Which version are you using? NPG or NPG+

I'm running the NPG+

GetMore
02-05-2006, 11:15 AM
SoCal69, what changes did you make from a "normal" setup to run the Evans?

SoCal69
02-05-2006, 06:11 PM
I got rid of the bypass from the water outlet to waterpump. I'm using their hi-flow thermostat and a high flow waterpump and I put a restrictor in the heaterhose outlet. The idea is to get the coolant through the engine as fast as possible because it picks up so much heat so fast. If you are overheating with Evans in your system, you either have leftover water(which is a contaminant) or restricted flow. Since it doesn't have any water in it it doesn't boil at 240 degrees and turn into steam so it's still cooling your engine at higher temps though. You also won't see any rust or corrosion. It's a completely new way of looking at your cooling system. It ain't cheap but it's worth it.