PDA

View Full Version : Lsx Swap Info>>>all Of It!!!!!!

MrQuick
01-12-2006, 08:11 PM
for all us newbies that keep getting the stupid run around links that put us NO WHERE NEAR we want to be...probably one of the best and detailed "how to work an LS1" and what you MAY need. LS1TECH explain-o (http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4073808#post4073808)

Now if someone can add what year engines would be best suited for a swap.
Also what would be needed for a NON LS1 trans installation.

protour_chevelle
01-13-2006, 07:19 AM
I can slowly add to that... I put pics of 2 popular methods of the TB bypass question.

-Matt

trapin
08-10-2006, 06:32 PM
I got down to the part about the fuel system and I started getting sick to my stomach. No LS1 for me, thanks.

parsonsj
08-10-2006, 07:27 PM
the part about the fuel system and I started getting sick to my stomachTony, is it the cost? Or the time and effort?

My setup is all aftermarket, bent hard line (that I made), and AN fittings.

I vented my tank through my own fuel/vapor separator, and ran that outlet out to the atmosphere through a standard K&N vent filter. No gas smell, simple and effective.

jp

Steve68
08-11-2006, 01:58 AM
Come on Tony, it's not that bad!!! Keep reading,

trapin
08-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Actually I was thinking......if I can get a LS1/T56 pullout from a junkyard for about $4000, It might take me 2 or 3 thousand more to get it in the car and running. $6000-$7000 for a full running drivetrain is not bad. Would you guys concur with that?

jannes_z-28
08-13-2006, 10:40 AM
It depends...

Some say you need approximatelly the same as you pay for the engine. So maybe $3000 - $4000.

It really come down to how much aftermarket stuff you buy or how much you do yourself.

I have kept the GM harness, got the connectors with wire that hooks up to the car from a '02 wreck. This makes it easy to hook everything up with my '69 harness.

For fuelsystem I got the "standard" Corvette filter/regulator. Then it is up to you if you want an aftermarket tank like Rick's or rebuild a stock tank. I got a pump unit from Tank's inc. I used the original 3/8 tube and connected AN fittings to it.

Headers is a must have, Hookers have them, when I started thye didn't so I built my own with the GMPP flanges. You need air intake rubber hoses and filter. New driveshaft.

The list goes on.

I don't have an exact figure but I think I am near the same amount as I paid for the engine combo.

The benfits are in favor for the LSx so go for it.

Good Luck

Jan

bookends
10-11-2006, 06:33 PM
there are deals to be had if you're willing to deal with a little hassle, I bought a 2000 t/a totalled for $2800, it's taking over my garage while I strip it down but I couldn't afford to buy the parts individually for what I bought the car for.

rohrt
10-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Bookends

I posted a question about buying up a totaled vett to do a build. But got no reply. It looks like your doing somthing similar. What are all the parts your useing? Breaks? Suspension?

Thanks

formula
10-12-2006, 06:54 AM
fantastic info source, just what i need to sell the swap to my first gen buddy. Thanks for the link! A lot of it would apply to me too if I decide to go lsx (which i probably will)

Scooter70
11-06-2006, 11:49 AM
The main FAQ (http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312119) has the answers to just about everything you could ever think to ask about LSx swaps. We tried to keep it organized so that it's easy to find info. For any other questions, don't hesitate to post in the Conversions section of LS1Tech.

Steve68
11-06-2006, 05:13 PM
You sure you ready to bring that Vette around here!!! J/K glad to have you, post more you have tons of info,for all, ThanksSteve

93Polo
11-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Now if someone can add what year engines would be best suited for a swap.

There is no one best answer to this question, as it depends on goals and budget.

speedfreak391
02-06-2011, 07:12 AM
First post here but I am putting in a 5.3 LM7 in my 87 iroc camaro. Not the most original on here, but doing it myself. I see alot of guys talking about a 3-4k engine package. Look at the truck motors guys. You can pick up a truck motor for 300-700 5.3 or 6.0. I got my motor for 350 with harness, computer, coils, and much more. There are guys pushing the stock bottom ends in these motors well in to the 9's in the quarter. Not my intended purpose but there is alot to be had in the way of power on the cheap side with the ls motors. If you are willing to spend the time looking you will find the deals. LS1TECH is a great wealth of knowledge, oh and there are a lot of great deals in the f/s section.