PDA

View Full Version : Burned up a $500 fuel pump

Pedigry
10-23-2023, 12:01 PM
Hey guys,

I ran the hot rod up to the tail of the dragon, big fun. But i lost a fuel pump on the way up there. I bought the car almost 2 years ago so I have no clue how old the fuel pump was (aeromotive AE1000). They are good pumps but everything has a life expectancy. What I did notice was return line dumps into the top of the tank. The fuel tank is not a cell, it's just a stock tank that has been modified with a pickup at the bottom rear and a return line at the front, on the top. The return line is dumping back into the tank from the top and I'm guessing it doesn't have a drop tube so the fuel is getting airated. I'm looking for ways to either replace the fitting with a drop tube or welding a new on in the side of the tank near the bottom.

Let me know if you guys have run into similar situations.

Scott Atk
10-23-2023, 03:22 PM
Are you gravity feeding it? Pump won't last long if you're not

dhutton
10-24-2023, 04:00 AM
Not a fan of Aeromotive fuel pumps especially when they are running wide open 100% of the time. Might be worthwhile spending some time on the vaporworx website. A PWM controller and fuel module will be much more reliable.

You could also give Carl a call. He knows his stuff and he is very helpful.

Don

Pedigry
10-24-2023, 07:10 AM
Are you gravity feeding it? Pump won't last long if you're not

Yep, it's gravity fed.

Pedigry
10-24-2023, 07:35 AM
Not a fan of Aeromotive fuel pumps especially when they are running wide open 100% of the time. Might be worthwhile spending some time on the vaporworx website. A PWM controller and fuel module will be much more reliable.

You could also give Carl a call. He knows his stuff and he is very helpful.

Don

OK thanks Don