PDA

View Full Version : Battery in Truck-Grounding an LS2

Phillip_L
01-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I am getting ready to put an LS2 in my 1969 Camaro. I am trying to get everything ready while I wait for the motor to be built and the KB blower (if they ever release it).

I keep read how important it is to ground the engine properly. My battery is in the trunk. The ground cable comes out of the trunk and bolts to the frame by the gas tank. In the engine bay, I had planned on running a ground for the frame to the motor and the body. If it helps, the rear frame and front sub-frame are connected with subframe connectors.

Somewhere I read that I need to run a cable from the battery to the motor directly. Is that really necessary?

Thanks.

Phillip

syborg tt
01-12-2006, 04:46 AM
Somewhere I read that I need to run a cable from the battery to the motor directly. Is that really necessary?

yep - ya gotta do it

Phillip_L
01-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Everything is aluminum. Where is the best place to properly ground the motor?

Thanks.

Phillip

Ron S
01-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Aluminum is a great conductor,any bolt hole in the block or head should be fine.I just weld a lug on the frame rail in the back,and run the main ground to the battery to it,and ground the engine to the chassis in the front,and put a good ground for the computer wiring.I've never had a problem doing it this way on the cars I've built

syborg tt
01-13-2006, 06:01 AM
I have the same scenerio as you. After speeking with guy's at AAW and looking at a couple aluminum motor cars what Mike said seems to be spot on.

Run you ground wire directly from the batter to the inside starter bolt.

Run a ground strap from the outside starter bolt to the chassis.

He also suggest running a ground strap from the body to the frame.

One other but my mine seems to have left me this morning.

protour_chevelle
01-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Ground your "stuff" well. LSX's run like junk if not grounded well, if they even run that is! Leaving one ground strap that's build into the harness bolted to nothing left my buddy and I scratching our heads at why it would barely turn over. One small, and I mean small ground cable. Probably a ground for the ecu I'm assuming.

-Matt