PDA

View Full Version : Next Project

Cleatus
09-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Hi....this is my next project....'56 Post with Newman chassis.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/09/medium-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/09/medium-2.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/09/medium-3.jpg

John

Ricoch3T
09-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Looks good.. I always liked the 55 to 57 chevys.. I'd of course like to find a 55 belair somewhere for a decent price (needs restoring of course :drool: )

Ralph LoGrasso
09-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Nice! Looks like that thing is gunna be killer, give us some detailed plans :).

ZZ430
09-30-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah, we'd like to see some build pics.

It's just what I had in mind for a 57 Nomad.

Cleatus
10-02-2004, 07:49 AM
Well.....since you all asked! :-)

I'm coming out of car building retirement after 20 years....I haven't even changed my own oil since the '80's. :-)

I have all of the front and rear bushings out of the suspension pieces now (what a job).....going to replace all of the upper and lower ball joints, wheels bearings, tie rod ends etc. and then I have to decide whether I want to polish the aluminum pieces or simply powder coat them. This is not going to be a trailer/garage queen so I don't really want to spend a lot of time underneath the car cleaning the suspension pieces on a regular basis....takes time away from my Budweiser time. :-)

The Newman chassis won't be done until April or May so I have plenty of time to trial fit components and simply drive the car until it's time to switch chassis. I'm going to build this car some what backwards....IOW the body and paint will have to do as is....I want to be able to drive the car with the new chassis and then later on down the road complete the body and paint work...I'm getting old, time is running out! :-)

I guess the reason why I am building this car is to use a variation of the induction systems that I built in the '80's for the '56. Over a period of about 5 years I built a lot of stuff and kind of burned myself out and had to give it a rest....just turned out to be longer than expected. :-)

Anyway....here is some of the stuff I did in the '80's...so the first motor will be a normally aspirated FI and then a turbo-superchaged FI motor to close it out.....then I can rest in piece and finish off my Budweiser. :-)

http://home.pacbell.net/iolair/index.html

John

907rs
10-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Dude you have some cool lookin gizmo's there....

TurboLark
10-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Looks like a bunch of natural gas setups?? I dig the scanned polaroids..LOL.

RatMalibu
10-02-2004, 08:12 PM
So THATS what a flux capacitor looks like :naughty:

looks like a interesting project there :icon996:

907rs
10-02-2004, 08:48 PM
When this thing hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious ****!!!!

Cleatus
10-03-2004, 06:33 AM
Natural gas? Never thought of that! :-) Actually those are air cylinders that power the variable geometry.

John

68ls1
10-05-2004, 01:43 AM
I think the scanned polaroids are sweet as well bro. That looks like some serious engineering for the day. Is the supercharger round as well, I'm having trouble finding it in the pics. Did you design and fabricate all that on your own? Mighty impressive anyway.

Chill, Noel.

Cleatus
10-05-2004, 04:12 AM
Hi Noel,

Thanks for the kind words! Yes I did all of the design/machine stuff myself.....I made balsa wood models and a pattern maker turned them into castings. I'm not a real machinist, but I bought a Bridgeport mill and checked out two "how to machine" books from the library, so I'm just proficient enough to machine all of the manifold pieces and parts.

The only "supercharger" in the photos is the turbo on the Z-28 along with the Bosch K-Jetronic FI that was adapted from a 6.9 litre Mercedes. Also the twins on the SAE convention motor for a San Diego State project. I only did the induction system for that one.

John

68ls1
10-05-2004, 05:53 AM
Sorry John, I misread your earlier post. I thought you had already built a turbo/supercharged engine. But now that I re-read it I can see that is a future plan.
Hooked on phonics...worked for me!
Anyway, I have a S**t load of respect for a guy who checks books out of the library to learn how to run equipment he has already purchased. Good luck.

Chill, Noel.