PDA

View Full Version : Been posting for a bit, but figured I would introduce myself...

Flyboy
09-26-2004, 09:49 AM
Figured i'd finally post up a hi-how-ya-doin' kinda thing and introduce myself, since I will probably be signing up for the SEMA dinner to come meet some of you fine P-T folks in person.

Anyway, a little about myself and my car(s)... i'm 23 and currently living in Las Vegas, NV. Been here since`92. Spent a couple years in Japan after signing on for a 6 year hitch as a jet engine mechanic (2A6X1A for you zoomies out there :usa: ) in the USAF back in `99, then ironically got stationed back here at Nellis. :doh: Which works for me, because the motorsports community out here is pretty awesome IMHO. Plus you can't beat all the cool stuff such as SEMA coming through town. :drool:

But enough of that b/s, on to the fun stuff...

First car was a `93 Trans Am. Had it set up for drag racing because that's what most people around here are in to. I guess it's easier to go fast, go straight than anything else, huh? Shortly thereafter, I got involved with the Silver State Classic (http://www.sscc.us) doing timing/scoring. That was my first exposure to "real" racing, other than that point-and-go stuff. :smoke:

A few years down the road, I decided I needed something a little more comfortable to get around in, but also needed something I already knew how to work on. So I picked myself up a DGGM 96 Impala SS. Without going in to particulars on the project, I swapped in the aluminum head motor out of the Trans Am, and sold the T/A as a rolling chassis with a Moser 12 bolt left in it.

Hmmm... I have a decent sum of money burning a hole in my pocket... what's any self respecting car nut going to do? Damn right... buy another car! :screwy:

So that brings me to my latest endeavor... my 1967 Camaro SS. I have been drooling over first gens for years after seeing a few rolling the streets of Vegas. And being a loyal bowtie guy, I just couldn't let the deal I found pass me up. I found my 67 up in Salt Lake City. The cliff notes version was rust-free, straight as an arrow, all original GM sheet metal/grill/taillights/etc... rebuilt 427 bottom end, rebuilt TH350, new torque converter... project car in pieces... $4000. Well, after talking to the guy and finding out he had no title for the vehicle, he knocked the price down to $3500, at which point I loaded up a truck and flatbed and was on my way to Mormon country. :headbang:

Anyway, this is more or less how she sits today. Tons of work to be done...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Upon my return, I already had my mind made up... I want to be able to drive this thing every day that I feel like it and still get decent gas mileage... this thing is going to get a wicked little late model LT1/T56 (as seems to be so popular with first gens these days). So the big block currently has a new home over at another P-T members' house (zefhix), and the tranny/converter went to my roommate.

Sitting in the garage is an LT1 Vette 4 bolt LT1 block that has already been clearanced for a 383 rotating assembly, and the close ratio `93 T56 from my previously mentioned Trans Am.

Wow... I didn't know I wrote that much... I got to talking about my cars and I couldn't shut up. :rotfl:

Anyway, it will be teriffic to meet some of you folks at the SEMA dinner. There seems to be a TON of knowledge floating around on this board, and no lack of people willing to help out where they can. I am really looking forward to my time over here at P-T.com! :)

Kenova
09-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Looks like you have more than enough to keep you busy.

I have a question about buying a car without a title. Up here in Ontario, Canada, you can't register or insure a car without transferring the title (or ownership as it's known up here) so you just don't find cars for sale without the ownership (title). It would seem to me that if you bought a car without a title and sunk a bunch of money and time into it, there's nothing stopping the holder of the title to come along and say "Thats my car" and drive it away. How do you protect yourself from something like this? Is there a process where you can have a title issued in your name?
It's highly unlikely I'll ever have to cope with the problem of no title, just a little curious. :dunno:
Ken

Flyboy
09-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Well, that's a big concern for me also. I've been told that you can do something called a "sheriff's title", and they basically do a check on the vehicle to make sure it's never been reported stolen or anything and then issue you a title in your name. I'm still in the process of working on this. If I find out anything new, i'll make sure to post up.

Kevin1kas
09-26-2004, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't dump any more money into it until you get the title squared away. I'd contact DMV and see what they tell you. I heard one of my friends bought some junker 4x4 a few years ago. The guy charged him some fee, but he basically puts a lien on the car, after a certain period of time (I think like 3 months), he goes to the state and says this debt was not paid, etc. and then the state issues this person a title for the car and gives it to the lien holder. The lien holder then signs over the title to you. I too live in Las Vegas, and before I start spending a ton of money on my Chevy II, I'm waiting for the title to be transferred to me. I have already been to DMV. I brought the out of state title down signed off to me. They then told me the vin # had to be inspected before I could get it titled. I told them it wasn't driveable, so they told me to ask the guys who do the inspection if they'd go to my house, or if I had any friends that were law enforcement officers confirm the VIN. I have several friends in Law Enforcement so I had one come down to my house and signed off on it within 30 minutes. Again, I had a title. I really think you are going to run into problems without the title.
From the Nevada DMV web site:

Title
If you are buying a vehicle from a private party, you must have a properly signed-off title to register the vehicle and transfer ownership. If the seller does not have a title, the owner of record will have to apply for a duplicate from the state where the vehicle was last titled. The buyer will not be able to register the vehicle without a valid title. A Bill of Sale by itself is not acceptable.

Payments/Liens
If the seller has a loan or lease on the vehicle, this must be satisfied and the lienholder or lessor must deliver the title before the vehicle can be sold. This can be a lengthy process if the title has been misplaced or is being held by an out-of-state lender or lessor. The buyer must have a properly signed off title to register the vehicle.