PDA

View Full Version : Atypical underhood paint

Damn True
01-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Of course we've all seen the OE semigloss black, and bodycolor under the hood is popular too (I personally dislike it but to each his own).

But what have you seen done under the hood other than the above that your thought looked solid. I'm thinking mostly in terms of racecar treatments but whatever, I'm brainstorming outside of the proverbial box so let's have it.

Example: Many early T/A cars (particularly the Wood Brothers Mustangs) used Zolatone spatter paint. Covers "hammer-to-fit" marks and "ugly-but-good" welds nicely and is imprevious to spilled fluids.

CarlC
01-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Yep, splatter paint. The type used by body shops for trunks is much more durable than the Home Depot rattle can.

Damn True
01-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks Carl.

I see a lot of white under the hoods of race cars, but I don't think it's work well on a car that is street driven at all. One drive in the rain and you'd have discolored water spots everywhere.

Damn True
10-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Any other ideas?

syborg tt
10-03-2006, 11:44 AM
i've seen a color matched underhood but with a flat look instead of the gloss. Looks different but easy to maintain.

Hammered
10-03-2006, 05:43 PM
If you go with a factory color, they often have an "underhood" color to match like syborg suggests.

Tom Welch
10-03-2006, 06:03 PM
I have mulled over the idea of spray on bedliner type stuff. I believe it could be oversprayed with any color. Sort of like the chip guard that is sprayed onto the lower valence and rocker panels of newer cars.

rocketrod
10-04-2006, 02:46 AM
I have seen a few cars use you the OE semigloss black with a krinkle finish, which stands out and looks good.

kmcanally
10-04-2006, 03:34 AM
I have seen a lot of light gray on racecars. Not just the engine compartment but the entire chassis as well. The reasoning it that the light color makes it easy to quickly locate leaks. Plus the lighter color makes it easier to see than all black because it reflects the available light.

Damn True
10-04-2006, 08:25 AM
I have seen a lot of light gray on racecars. Not just the engine compartment but the entire chassis as well. The reasoning it that the light color makes it easy to quickly locate leaks. Plus the lighter color makes it easier to see than all black because it reflects the available light.

Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines. White is really common with the stock-car builders, but I think it would be a mess in about a week on a street car. A light-medium gray might be the way to go.

Blown353
10-04-2006, 10:11 AM

Not just leaks, chassis or weld cracks really stand out on a white or gray *painted* surface. Powdercoating on the other hand can conceal the cracks.

Dove gray can look quite good.

Damn True
10-04-2006, 10:16 AM
I am considering using this stuff http://www.durabakcompany.com/colorchart.htm

Looking at the "smooth" in one of the two gray colors.

BA.
10-04-2006, 02:27 PM
I have seen a few cars use you the OE semigloss black with a krinkle finish, which stands out and looks good.

+1
I saw one of these somewhere recently also. The flat black paint, with krinkle finish sort of similar to those Rhino-Liner's or Line-X actually looked really cool.

Damn True
10-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Having owned a Harley I can only imagine though that having a crinkle finish on surfaces under the hood would be a stone-cold bioootch to clean.

I think it'd be ok on valve covers and stuff that is easy to get at, but it would hold a lot of dirt and crap in areas where one might be able to see but not be able to clean.

BRIAN
10-04-2006, 06:17 PM
The satin sheen deal seams to be coming on real strong. Wrinkle or splatter paints will be a disaster to keep clean.

While you are on the HD thing they have a new satin medium gray color that would look nice. Look at the bigger bikes I think a Tour something for 07.

parsonsj
10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
I have seen a lot of light gray on racecars. Not just the engine compartment but the entire chassis as well. Yes, that's how mine is painted. I used etch primer, epoxy primer, then single stage machine gray. I shot that myself, and it seems to be holding up fine so far.

jp