PDA

View Full Version : AutoCross and Road Course

jn66
06-07-2023, 08:00 AM
Hey fellas -

New member here but long time member of a number of Mustang and Mercedes forums.

I've spent years on the track, predominantly with newer Mustangs and an AMG GTR Pro. I am thinking of getting into autocross and would like to do a 68/69 Camaro or an 65-69 Mustang.

Does anyone here know of a shop that specializes in building cars for the track?

Looks like @classiccarcustoms recently built and sold a hell of a Camaro but being a new member I am unable to PM or engage in the classifieds section yet.

With regards to a parts list for the ultimate track car - any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Currently driving a 2021 GT500 Carbon with the normal bolt on Steeda pieces - but really wanting to get back into a classic. I used to have a '66 mustang coupe and really miss it.

Thanks in advance for the help and replies. Really looking forward to being a part of the community here.

JN66

dontlifttoshift
06-07-2023, 11:08 AM
There is a very wide line between a track day capable early muscle car that is mostly a street car and a racecar that looks like an early muscle car and is really a racecar.

I know of lots of shops, got a location?

jn66
06-07-2023, 01:31 PM
There is a very wide line between a track day capable early muscle car that is mostly a street car and a racecar that looks like an early muscle car and is really a racecar.

I know of lots of shops, got a location?

Thanks for the reply. Absolutely there is. This would be a race car that I drive to the track. Not looking for an early muscle street car.

I am open to shops and can/will travel to pick things up and ship - I am up in Canada and don't have many options that I know of. I am in BC, north of Seattle.

I've been looking at Jay Weirs Speedtech '73 Camaro a lot - but the consignment shop that has it right now has it priced a little high I think. But I suspect that car would be phenomenal for autocross.

dontlifttoshift
06-07-2023, 03:04 PM
That car is about 30 minutes away from me right now. You're not going to build it for less. Anyone that can build at that level, you are looking at two years before you get to drive it.

Chris Holstrom is up that way in Puyallup.

jn66
06-07-2023, 08:28 PM
Thanks man.

What are your general thoughts on that car for auto cross/track days?

Looks savage.

dontlifttoshift
06-08-2023, 04:49 AM
Current owner just cruised it around and looked cool so I have never seen it in action. I don't think SpeedTech would have built an incapable car but call SpeedTech and talk to them, I am sure they would rather see the car out there turning laps than sitting in a showroom somewhere.

Seriously, you would never build that car for the money. This one is already shook down and no lead time.

CSG
06-08-2023, 04:56 AM
I obviously have no idea on your financial situation but if you are wanting a race car that you can drive on the street do you really want/need a car that nice? I would feel a bit guilty beating on that car, but I can't afford that car anyway...

jn66
06-08-2023, 05:16 AM
Yup, that is good advice. Hadn't actually thought about calling them. I will do that today and reach back out to Volo. I won't be able to get out and see the car until the first week of July - schools about to end here and were taking the kids travelling for a couple weeks down to Charlotte and Raleigh. Might be able to rip a quick flight or something over and ditch the family haha.

jn66
06-08-2023, 05:21 AM
I obviously have no idea on your financial situation but if you are wanting a race car that you can drive on the street do you really want/need a car that nice? I would feel a bit guilty beating on that car, but I can't afford that car anyway...

Good question for sure man. I hear you. I've always been of the mind that cars are meant to drive. I had a AMG GTR Pro that I would slap Michelin Alpins on and drive it around in the wintertime. It was really good fun. Blew up one of the turbos on the track and the car was never really the same after that and I ended up selling it.

I'd take a look at other track capable cars as well if I come across them but they appear to be few and far between - unless you build them yourself or have someone build you one. Lots of stunning pro-touring cars around but most seem to be built for great and maybe aggressive street driving (nothing wrong with that obviously).

I'm going to go look at a Camaro on Monday down in Eugene Oregon. Looks like it was built by Metalworks.

dontlifttoshift
06-08-2023, 05:23 AM
Meh, once you spend a 100k+ on parts the paint starts to look like a cheap part of the deal. Spend 4k and have a quality PPF installed and rip it.

jn66
06-08-2023, 05:28 AM
Meh, once you spend a 100k+ on parts the paint starts to look like a cheap part of the deal. Spend 4k and have a quality PPF installed and rip it.

Agreed. This is 100% correct and generally preferred path.