PDA

View Full Version : Header Ground Clearance

Mkelcy
09-26-2004, 09:10 AM
This is sort of a suspension issue, since when the headers hit the ground the suspension is compromised. :hand:

Anyway, '68 Camaro, small block, the headers (maybe Hookers, not sure) hang down below the body and subframe. I'd like to find something that tucks in closer to the body, so I can drop the front end about 1" or so without compounding my header scraping problems.

Any recommendations?

dennis68
09-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Shorty style headers are pretty much the only option. All full length headers are going to be the lowest point in the front end. You could always go back to manifolds---

chevymike
09-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Thorley headers fit great and do not hang below the subframe. Check out my link in my sig. The work with my 2" dropped springs.

Add this pic. Bad angle. From the side view, you can't see them.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

KWIKND
09-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Also the Hot Rod guys are using Sanderson and a newer one is Patriot Headers which is owned by Pertronix the distributor people. Both have block huggers. Everyone is owned by someone else! I spent way too much on a pair of Ceramic Hookers for my BBC only to change them out for a set of Patriots. Any straight liners need a set o hookers for a 68/69 A body :crying: ?
Good Luck
Dan

venomouscamaro
09-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Just be carefull with the shorty headers though. I tried to find a pair for my 68 camaro but none would clear the manual transmission linkage. Of course this wont be a problem if you have a hydraulic clutch or automatic transmission.

USAZR1
09-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Stainless Works full-length headers are higher than the crossmember and really tuck in tight.
Nice but not cheap.

cakneller
09-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Check out Dynomax they have a ceramic coated shorty header that looks cool for the price. part #86118 I think. They look like nice; headers coated inside and out.
They will not work with factory a/c though.

I currently have hooker comp headers on my 69 camaro and had to carefully heat and bend the driver side header. It worked out well. My car has the hotchkis lowering springs and it will only rub the header on really sharp angle humps or speed bumps.