PDA

View Full Version : Shocks for 2nd Gen F-Body DSE Q-Link

PDC
03-27-2023, 02:43 PM
1973 TA, Rear DSE Q-Link. JRI shocks are leaking and need to be replaced. DSE part # for rear shocks is 041301. I found a pair of NOS DSE 041301 shocks bearing the AFCO label - before DSE changed suppliers and went with JRI. The AFCO units are too long and do not fit - even with the exact same part number. Shocks that I have found online with this part number ‘appear’ to be the same (too long) length. Any ideas on where to source correct length shocks? (DSE says the JRI rear shocks for this system are on back-order and will not ship til next month)

79T/Aman
03-28-2023, 04:19 AM
forget part numbers, you MUST know the compressed and extended length of the shocks needed and what is their operating range length and what is your installed shock length.
Next is why not get the JRIs rebuilt?

79T/Aman
03-28-2023, 04:22 AM
another thing, that JRI if fully extended looks like a front shock, if that was on the rear it would explain one reason it failed.

dontlifttoshift
03-28-2023, 05:13 AM
A rare moment of agreement. Send your JRis here and have them rebuilt. https://upspeedshop.com/

The Pontiac quadralinks use a shorter shock than the Camaros to accomodate a lower ride height. They look short because they are. Hard to tell from the picture if it actually failed, but the low drag seals the JRi use don't last forever.

PDC
03-28-2023, 06:32 AM
A rare moment of agreement. Send your JRis here and have them rebuilt. https://upspeedshop.com/

The Pontiac quadralinks use a shorter shock than the Camaros to accomodate a lower ride height. They look short because they are. Hard to tell from the picture if it actually failed, but the low drag seals the JRi use don't last forever.

Thank you both for the replies. This is making sense now that I know the Pontiac version is in fact shorter. I may end up getting the JRis re-sealed and re-charged.

And just for the sake of info - the rear shocks are definitely different than the fronts. The rears dimensions look exactly like the ones that are too long - with 2" shorter shock body.