PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump choice?

TNT
01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
I am hoping someone here can help me out. I am building a 500hp street car and I am looking for an electric, in-line fuel pump. The kicker is it needs to support 500 boosted hp, be rated for continous use, and last of all (but most importantly) it needs to be quiet. I run a Pro Star 500 on my 900hp drag car and it is a great pump, but it is loud. For a street car I really do not want one that loud. Anyone have any good suggestions for a quiet efi pump?

RSX302
01-10-2006, 06:48 PM
I have an Aeromotive A1000 pump that I use and it works well. This would easily fit your application for everything but the noise requirement. I don't think I've ever heard a quiet EFI fuel pump. Even factory pumps. The A1000 is loud but, one thing I'm was going to try is the Aeromotive speed controller. Less pump at idle should be quieter. By how much, I'm not sure. Not to mention the other possitive reasons.

This is what Aeromotive say's on it:
For any pump, on any type of vehicle, the Aeromotive Fuel Pump Speed Controller (FPSC) minimizes hot fuel handling problems for in-line pumps in bypass systems and it will also keep T-style pumps cool in static systems, extending fuel pump life. Sensing engine RPM, the FPSC kicks your fuel flow into high gear when you need it, but reduces pump speed and flow to keep things cool when you don't.

TUBED
01-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Weldon has a good selection of pumps, give them a call and see what they'd recommend and then search RacingJunk.com or NMRARACING.COM, eBay for good used pump and regulators at half the new cost.

Gerald

pushrod243
01-10-2006, 08:18 PM
I am using a Bosch pump I got the part # from Kurt at W2W. I have two wired up so the second one comes on at 3 lbs of boost. Kurt put them on the Mule the same way they work great and are quiter than the a1000 i had before

J2speedandcustom
01-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Weldon is the best pump in my opinion but it's also the loudest.

Any inline pump is going to be loud no getting around it. You can minimize the noise by how you mount it. We mount inline pumps with sound deadening material, and try to place them to reduce as much noise as possible.

Fuelie Fan
01-11-2006, 01:06 PM
I don't think that's true, Walbros are pretty quiet, and so far they've been very durable for me. When I put EFI on my truck, the tank was full of rust, and i had a crappy pre-filter, and the pump has survived both the clogged pre-filter and whatever got through before it clogged. The GSL-392 should support your needs.

John McIntire
01-16-2006, 06:36 PM
I plan on using a pump from Barry Grant. Its called the Mighty Sumo, and will support up to 750 HP. They also have a King Sumo, which will support up to 2000 HP. They say it's "whisper quiet" I sure hope so. I have a friend that is running that Aeromotive on his import, and it is loud.
I too Had a magnaflow quickstar 300 on my carbureted small block, and that pump was loud!!
Dont have the car together and running yet, so I cant vouch for the barry grants claim of being "whisper quiet" But as long as its quieter than the quick star 300, I'll be happy!
John

Jim Nilsen
01-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Racepumps fuel pump, no noise,less line,more supply, safer and easier to not have to wire.

http://www.racepumps.com/

Jim Nilsen

quadfather
01-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Racepumps fuel pump, no noise,less line,more supply, safer and easier to not have to wire.

http://www.racepumps.com/

Jim Nilsen
THIS SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE. MY ONLY CONCERN WOULD BE THE EFECT OF FUEL HAVING TO BE PULLED FOWARD FROM THE TANK. IN A FAST CAR THIS IS A REAL ISSUE. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR SOME FEEDBACK FROM ANYONE USING THIS PUMP.

Jim Nilsen
01-22-2006, 10:25 AM
There is a Q/A section at the site and they would probably be the first to know if there was a customer that had problems with it.
If you ever did have a problem you could always run a surge tank to solve it. I don't see how you could ever have a problem unless you ran ran too small of a supply line or ran out of gas in the tank. The vacuum that the pump can create is probably more than sufficient to pull enough fuel to the front no matter how much g force you could pull.
But just call and ask them and let us all know so we don't sit here questioning ourselves about it.

Jim Nilsen