PDA

View Full Version : 1964 riviera super wildcat...

downhil
01-10-2006, 04:10 PM
i need some neutral input on this. i've found a 1964 riviera totally complete and rust free. a nice texas car. it has the factory ac and all options available. the kicker is that it has the 'super wildcat' dual 4 barrel nailhead in it. there were just over 2100 of these ever built.

is this too rare of a car to be modifying in any way? i figured it is too cool of a cruiser to hack up too much, but i think it would look killer lowered a bit with a new paintjob, rolling on some nice custom wheels and 4 wheel discs.

any thoughts?

Bob Johnson
01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
i need some neutral input on this. i've found a 1964 riviera totally complete and rust free. a nice texas car. it has the factory ac and all options available. the kicker is that it has the 'super wildcat' dual 4 barrel nailhead in it. there were just over 2100 of these ever built.

is this too rare of a car to be modifying in any way? i figured it is too cool of a cruiser to hack up too much, but i think it would look killer lowered a bit with a new paintjob, rolling on some nice custom wheels and 4 wheel discs.

any thoughts?
the rivieras haven't brought big money. 64 especially..65 was worth more because it looked cooler than the 63 and 64. I love the looks of 65 66 67 Rivieras. never heard it called a super wildcat. They were Gran Sports or GS in 65 when they had 2X4's. I have a rust free Nevada 66..last year with the nail head..you can put some monster tires and wheels on them..both front and back..lowered they are a cool ..make a nice looking ride..shame to take off the aluminum finned drums..they are neat looking items..look great on nostalgia rods

downhil
01-10-2006, 04:30 PM
i dont think there was a gs in 64. the wildcat is the regular engine and the super wildcat is the dual 4 barrels.

thanks for the info on the brakes. i didn't realize they were finned. that would look great polished and peeking out from behind some nice polished wheels.

srh3trinity
01-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Whichever way you go, I am anxious to see a PT Riviera, if I had the time or money, that is one of the cars I would look at to build.

WS6
01-10-2006, 05:04 PM
one of our members has a riviera that is PT and he races it as well. cant remeber his name though, sorry

6'9"Witha69
01-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Most Purists would attack you for hacking it up or ditching a #s matching part. Lowering Springs, Better brakes and a Wheel Tire Package update the vehicle but does not warrant an outcry for destroying a rare car.

Pro Street on the other hand . . . that would ruffle some feathers.

Steve Chryssos
01-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Great cars. It's like a Chevelle and a Caddy had a love child. Best of both worlds. I have a 65 1x4 nailhead. The single four barrel cars drive a little better. Bought it of a guy who bought it off a guy. It took a while to clean the dark red stains out of the trunk. :ssst:

Nawwww, I'm just kidding. Rivi's make great drivers. In fact, my Rivi IS my daily driver. So if you buy it, drive it for a while as is. Then you might decide to keep it stock. Just do springs, shocks, wheels, tires and Pertronix points conversion.

Metal condidtion is not as important on Rivieras as trim condition. Don't buy it if it is missing a bunch of trim--and there is a ton of trim both inside and out. I bought my car for what the previous owner spent at the chrome shop alone. Weatherstripping is available through Steele.

Good luck

Bill Howell
01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
one of our members has a riviera that is PT and he races it as well. cant remeber his name though, sorry
Salt Racer = Katz
Just one of the best suspension guys in the business but that is another story. He is on hiatus at the moment, but hopefully will be back soon......

Rivi's are cool, like Steveo said. I think you will see one Protoured shortly, in fact, this year, but I am not going to spill the beans......

speedster
01-10-2006, 06:06 PM
The Riviera is a sweet car. It would look awesome PT. Lowered, some nice wheels, a mellow paint job.

I used to play with 64 - 67 Buicks.
Wildcat "445" = 401 cu in. 4 bbl. 445 lb ft torque, 325 hp.
Super Wildcat "465" = 425 cu in. 2 x 4 bbl. 465 lb ft torque, 360 hp.
Rebuilt (2) 401's and (1) 425. Have to watch the wear on the shaft rocker arms, but the engines ran very well.

downhil
01-10-2006, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=streetfytr68]Great cars. It's like a Chevelle and a Caddy had a love child. Best of both worlds. I have a 65 1x4 nailhead. The single four barrel cars drive a little better. Bought it of a guy who bought it off a guy. It took a while to clean the dark red stains out of the trunk. :ssst:

Nawwww, I'm just kidding. Rivi's make great drivers. In fact, my Rivi IS my daily driver. So if you buy it, drive it for a while as is. Then you might decide to keep it stock. Just do springs, shocks, wheels, tires and Pertronix points conversion.

Metal condidtion is not as important on Rivieras as trim condition. Don't buy it if it is missing a bunch of trim--and there is a ton of trim both inside and out. I bought my car for what the previous owner spent at the chrome shop alone. Weatherstripping is available through Steele.

(https://outlook.fossil.com/exchange/ssparks/Inbox/How%20about%20the%202nd%20most%20desired%20Riveria _x003F_.EML/1_multipart_xF8FF_2_multipart_xF8FF_1_application/C58EA28C-18C0-4a97-9AF2-036E93DDAFB3/64SW%20Riv.jpg?attach=1)

downhil
01-10-2006, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=streetfytr68]Great cars. It's like a Chevelle and a Caddy had a love child. Best of both worlds. I have a 65 1x4 nailhead. The single four barrel cars drive a little better. Bought it of a guy who bought it off a guy. It took a while to clean the dark red stains out of the trunk. :ssst:

(https://outlook.fossil.com/exchange/ssparks/Inbox/How%20about%20the%202nd%20most%20desired%20Riveria _x003F_.EML/1_multipart_xF8FF_2_multipart_xF8FF_1_application/C58EA28C-18C0-4a97-9AF2-036E93DDAFB3/64SW%20Riv.jpg?attach=1)

its definitely complete inside and out. i think its a one or two owner car.

downhil
01-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Most Purists would attack you for hacking it up or ditching a #s matching part. Lowering Springs, Better brakes and a Wheel Tire Package update the vehicle but does not warrant an outcry for destroying a rare car.

Pro Street on the other hand . . . that would ruffle some feathers.

does 2100 some odd cars make it a fairly rare car? are riviera gs's considered rare?

ProdigyCustoms
01-10-2006, 09:28 PM
tweak the dual quad Nailhead, Bag it, some 20s, nice California 2 tone, some fancy dancy leather guts, some real burlwood trim, boomin sound............ wait, now were did I hear this?

Steve Chryssos
01-11-2006, 07:53 AM
tweak the dual quad Nailhead, Bag it, some 20s, nice California 2 tone, some fancy dancy leather guts, some real burlwood trim, boomin sound............ wait, now were did I hear this?

You've been scarce lately. Nice to see you are still with us. I figured you were just too cool now that you're Mr. Bigtime PHR Cover custom car builder.

6'9"Witha69
01-11-2006, 12:20 PM
does 2100 some odd cars make it a fairly rare car? are riviera gs's considered rare?
I would say so. That is why I said nobody (except the chalk mark crowd) would have a problem with bolt on parts and upgrades. More people tend to cringe when the more rare cars are cut into (i.e. what is done in PS builds and serious PT builds).

Steve Chryssos
01-11-2006, 01:28 PM
A-1 prime "right ass for the seat" sale, a dual quad car is worth about $16K. A 65 GS might pull $20K. I find that pretty amazing. That such an awesome car is worth so much less than the mainstream musclecars. Who knows? The car could be worth more if you customize it just so. Still I'm not sure if I'd cut it up--just tweak it some.

KWIKND
01-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Like this?

LS1, Wilwoods and Bagged.

www.strangemotion.com

Dan

ProdigyCustoms
01-11-2006, 03:54 PM
You've been scarce lately. Nice to see you are still with us. I figured you were just too cool now that you're Mr. Bigtime PHR Cover custom car builder.

Oh, I've been around, but in more of the tech type sections. I have not even seen the issue yet, expected around here in the next few days.

We are syked about the Riviera, and you are oh so correct on the chrome and trim thing. It will cost more then any other area of the car for the trim, more then motor, or even leather interior. Kris will have the renderings done soon, and Michael is working on it a little here and there in between multiple other projects. We are just torn between big disc or the cool drums. Maybe hide the disc inside the drums! Realistically, since we are going big with the wheels, we really need some 14" brakes on it.

The Riviera is referred to as "The Gentleman's Hot Rod", and we plan to expand on that a bit!

it will be nice if our friend scores the one refered in this post, there will be a few around here.

Bob Johnson
01-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Like this?

LS1, Wilwoods and Bagged.

www.strangemotion.com

Dan Tim Strange sold it @ Kruse Auction in Auburn about 6 or 7 years ago

Bob Johnson
01-11-2006, 04:19 PM
I have a 66 Riviera..Nevada rust free car..take $4500.00. They make a cooler custom than the 65 to me. They will handle some mega tires and wheels front and rear

boodlefoof
01-11-2006, 06:33 PM
I had a hankerin to buy one of these awhile back... There was one parked on the curb in the apartment complex I used to live in... I forget which year, but it had the 425 engine in it. Sign in the window said $1,000. Too bad I didn't have the money or the space.

Steve Chryssos
01-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Sell it to Hunkins. He loves 66 Rivieras. They're okay. But they can't match the interiors of the 63-65's.

killer69
01-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Any one can restore it ....................... takes a man with balls to cut it up!!!

Got any balls????
in my opinion ( for what that's worth ) keep the Nail head add a procharger and 18' 19 or 20's and make it cool and have fun with it. i hav always liked the Riv's would love the one Bob is selling!!

Bob Johnson
01-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Sell it to Hunkins. He loves 66 Rivieras. They're okay. But they can't match the interiors of the 63-65's.
I do like the dash and console on the 65 better..In fact I was a 65 guy(had a black one when I was 20)until a guy named Mike built a black 66 that was on the cover of Hot Rod about 10 years ago..He still has it..has a body shop in Decatur. Ga. They respond better to the lowering and big wheel tire treatment. no body changes are needed unless you lower the front of the top a little to get a little rake in it

Ackattack
01-12-2006, 08:46 AM
I do like the dash and console on the 65 better..In fact I was a 65 guy(had a black one when I was 20)until a guy named Mike built a black 66 that was on the cover of Hot Rod about 10 years ago..He still has it..has a body shop in Decatur. Ga. They respond better to the lowering and big wheel tire treatment. no body changes are needed unless you lower the front of the top a little to get a little rake in it

That's the Riv that turned me on to them...