PDA

View Full Version : My 69 is nearing the end of it's build!

Mark69
01-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Well this project has lasted me 2 years and I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I bought the car with no interior and a motor that ran ok, auto trans, but had a straight body (a couple of dings was all). I pulled the power train out, sold the motor and trans, junked the wiring, then pulled the front clip off. Then I had at the engine bay with a wire wheel and then painted the bay and frame. I wanted a manual transmission that would be able to hold up to the horsepower I wanted to put into the car, al least 500. I read allot of articles and went with a viper 6 speed converted to bolt up to the stock bell housing made by D&D engineering. Next was the motor. The motor I built is a 357 (a 350 with a 3.5” stroke bored .030 over) making 553 hp at 6900 rpm. The motor has a scat forged lightweight crank, srp lightweight pistons. The heads are Dart pro 1 with 215 intake. The intake is a victor jr. Both were cleaned up by Mike Blackstone. After I have the car on the road for a while I am going to take the heads and intake back to him to get the full treatment (more power!). well with the cam that is in this thing vacuum is a problem so I went with a hydroboost for the braking. I also swapped out the old steering for a power rack and pinion. Well with all of that power I had to stiffen up the car. I added sub frame connecter and an eight point roll cage to take care of that. Then the old 10 bolt got replaced with a 12 bolt posi with 373 gears. I had a friend of mine paint the car tangelo with the intension of having ghost flames painted on the front clip. Really the only thing left is the assembly of the interior. I hope to have that competed by the end of February. Its hard when I only get to work on the weekend in my spare time. Wish me luck!

Rybar
01-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Sounds like a nice project, but you know we all want to see some pics.

Mark69
01-10-2006, 11:43 AM
I am having problems uploading pics from work. I will upload when I get home! stay tuned.

Mark69
01-10-2006, 09:30 PM
here are a couple of picture I took a couple of months ago

mikey
01-10-2006, 09:36 PM
looks nice wish mine was that far along

Travis B
01-11-2006, 05:46 AM
very nice mark...any pics of the rear suspension?

Ralph LoGrasso
01-11-2006, 05:54 AM
The car looks good, Mark; great color. Keep us posted when you get her on the road.

Todds69
01-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Looking good and love that color.

CAMAROBOY69
01-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Looking great Mark and you know I love Orange. :)
Would be cool to see you follow thru with the ghost flames on the front clip. That car color is going to look sick in the sun. You shoudl push it out into the sun and get some pics. Thats similar to the paint we want for the Mustang.

Rybar
01-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Love the color! It looks like your almost there. We might get our cars on the road at the same time.

69Nova
01-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Car looks good.:twothumbs What all have you done to the suspension?

ertoys
01-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Lookin good!

Mark69
01-11-2006, 03:48 PM
In answer to the suspension question I put in the Hotchkis TVS for the small block. It included everything I needed, Sport Coils, Sport Sway Bars, Heavy Duty Tie Rod Sleeves (junked in favor of rack & pinion setup) ,and Sport Leaf Springs. it also came with all the fasteners and urethane bushings as well. It lowered my car 2" in the front and 1 1/2" in the rear. I then put QA1 shocks on all 4 corners.

Steve Chryssos
01-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Very nice. I dig that color.

One recommendation: Move that fuel pressure regulator and the fuel lines as well. Move then outside the exhaust, up the frame rail and around the front of the engine. That's the only way to do it. Don't think it over--make it happen.

Sorry to poop on the party. Just lookin' out for ya.

Mark69
01-11-2006, 05:55 PM
The fuel regulator is part of the fuel return line, not the input side. It would really clutter it up if I had to run the line forward, besides I want to be able to check the pressure when I am working on the motor. I am building this car more for go then show.

Mark69
01-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Here are a couple of pictures. It's hard to see and photograph because my fuel pump is located behind the differential.

Mark69
01-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Rybar,

I followed your link to your car. I like the color! looks like your about where I am in your project. your going to have one sick ride when your done. keep me posted.

Neil B
01-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Looks great. The Blackstone/Watson Racing shop in Concord is unreal. If I remember correctly, they even keep the semi inside.

Rybar
01-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Rybar,

I followed your link to your car. I like the color! looks like your about where I am in your project. your going to have one sick ride when your done. keep me posted.

Thanks bud, I'm actually further along than those pics which are over 2 months old now. I will post updated pics as soon as it stops raining here!

Mark69
01-27-2006, 08:48 AM
well, even though the car isn’t quite finished yet (interior bits and ac), it is drivable. I will be taking it to infinion this weekend to see what this car can do!

CAMAROBOY69
01-27-2006, 09:20 AM
well, even though the car isn’t quite finished yet (interior bits and ac), it is drivable. I will be taking it to infinion this weekend to see what this car can do!
Make sure you get pics and video!! Good luck you will have a blast! Infineon is an awesome track. I have never been on it but I played it in GT4 and other games. Very fun track.
Aslo make sure you get some pics of your car in the sunlight.

Whistle Pig
01-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Looks great, What did you use for the wiring harness?
Kevin