PDA

View Full Version : Could you tow 5000lbs w/ a LS1 72 chevelle wagon?

payne
01-09-2006, 05:14 PM
I have an oportunity to pick up a 1972 chevelle 4 door wagon with new paint, no rust, and a LS1/4l60e sitting in it from a widow for a pretty great deal.

Im really considering building the car as a pro cruiser (18s, stereo, mild suspension, LS1 brakes, and thats about it) and am curious if the car could tow 5000lbs easily?

When I think about it, the torque is there, the car has a 12 bolt, the wheelbase is there, and the frame is there. All I would tow would be my LS1 RX7, which weighs like 2800# so with a cheap open trailer, we are looking at what, 4500-5000# in total?

Am I correct in assuming that the wagon would be a glorified 3/4 ton 2wd lowered truck?

Where could I get a hitch for it?

What would I need to do to the suspension to tow? air bag it?

Thanks!

-Jason

lftnwhls
01-09-2006, 05:36 PM
I put helper airbags on my lowered fullsize extendacab chevy.

It makes all the difference in the world I tow a 9000Lb trailler to the dragstrip and to many car shows.

Wagons are capable of towing allot because they are heavy so the trailler doesn't push them around to much. Make sure you have a good transmission cooler and a weight distributing hitch makes a huge differnece to the amount of control you have.

Good luck!

protour_chevelle
01-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Make sure you run trailer brakes! Never thought I'd say that one before on a car LOL. I think its a badass idea though. Nothing cooler then a cool ass pro-cruiser pulling the weekend warrior around :)

-Matt

payne
01-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Matt, could you PM me your phone number? I would love to talk it over real quick with you, just to know about the LS1 chevelle details.

-Jason

MarkM66
01-10-2006, 08:46 AM
It'll tow that weight just fine. Ad some air bags to the rear. Get a good hitch for it, you may have to fabricate how it's attached to the frame though.

Bill Howell
01-10-2006, 08:19 PM
As mentioned above, the problem will not be pulling, the issue will be stopping. Be sure to have proper trailer brakes or you will find yourself being pushed thru redlights, etc.

David Pozzi
01-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Should be no problem. The longer the trailer from hitch to axle the more leverage you will have over the weight, and the less trouble with sway (lower sway frequency) so don't get too short a trailer.

Ackattack
01-12-2006, 09:05 AM
My concern with the whole idea is the load rating of the 18" tires. Everything else should be fine (with the trailer brakes and tranny cooler).

Kenova
01-12-2006, 09:19 AM
My concern with the whole idea is the load rating of the 18" tires. Everything else should be fine (with the trailer brakes and tranny cooler).
The previously mention equlizer hitch will help distribute the load over all four tires, and if that isn't good enough, there are always the sport truck tires. I'm sure they would carry a heavier load rating.
Ken

Ackattack
01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
The previously mention equlizer hitch will help distribute the load over all four tires, and if that isn't good enough, there are always the sport truck tires. I'm sure they would carry a heavier load rating.
Ken

Yeah I know, but some people may overlook that point, I thought it would be good to bring up.