PDA

View Full Version : Noise From rear end after ride tech 4 link install - anyone else?

lbsurfer11
10-24-2022, 09:09 AM
Hi friends,
I originally had my LS2/tremec magnum swapped 69 camaro set up with Hotchkis dropped leaf springs and the car seemed to run fine with the exception of a vibration I got due to poor driveline angle at about 80 mph. In order to address the driveline issue I installed a ride tech 4 link system and immediately began noticing a noise coming from what appears to be the rear end. Prior to the installation the noise was never there so I had the tunnel cut out and used a speedtech trans tunnel piece and had the driveline checked several times. I first thought that on installation I might've further compressed the crush sleeve in the rear end so I went in this weekend replace the crush sleeve and checked all measurements of the rear end. Car operates well with the exception of a whirring noise that starts at 35+ mph, almost like a slight tire rubbing, it intensifies on deceleration. Anyone else run into this issues with the 4 link and any possible solutions? thanks

lbsurfer11
10-24-2022, 11:15 AM
Good suggestion. Ive got a carpet in there but may dry some dynamat as well.

icemanrd19
10-24-2022, 05:49 PM
If it gets worse in decel roads the pinion up. In reference where the driveshaft bolts to the rear end change the angle 3 degrees towards the tunnel away from the ground.

lbsurfer11
10-25-2022, 11:07 AM

thanks for the reply. This doesn't appear to be a vibration issue created by driveline angle, we've adjust that many times. It's a whirring noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear end.

CDR
10-25-2022, 06:31 PM
Unfortunately I've run into this a couple times. The 4 link setup simply transfers more diff noise into the car than leaf springs do. I believe its the upper arm mount cross member attaching to the floor that transfers the noise.

dontlifttoshift
10-26-2022, 06:22 AM
That ^^^

Full framed cars can run R joints and bearing mounted shocks without issues as all the body mounts separate it from the sheet metal which is not the case with unibody cars. My Camaro is the same way and no matter how perfect the ring and pinion is set up, it is noisy. Confirmed with both a 10 and a 12 bolt in the same car.

Just did a 69, drove it with with leaf springs and then install the RideTech 4 link and now rear end noise. Had a 2012 Mustang, swapped the shocks to bearing mounted JRis with all stock control arms and then ring and pinion was quiet but I could hear the carrier bearings whirring going down the road.

lbsurfer11
10-26-2022, 08:42 AM
CDR & Dontlifttoshift, I really appreciate the feedback. Lets me know I am not going crazy.