PDA

View Full Version : east coast challenge

vanzuuk1
01-08-2006, 06:53 PM
There has been a lot of talk about drivers and posers on the site lately, lets stop talking and drive. There are autocrosses at nassau coliseum and meadowlands, when the schedule is announced we should pick a date and enter.
This is a great opportunity to meet each other and have some fun. It is a great warmup for someone thinking of a track day.
It will be my second outing for my car and the first time with my new setup so I am basically a beginner. We will all be learning as we go, no pressure.Some guy in a mini cooper with slicks and a lot of seat time will probably be fastest of the day anyway.
I am hoping to see steevo, ralph, brian, ptnyc, mr angry,rick dorion,fscope,gsxrken,footinmouth,allfaith,lvrpool nick, zzsport,hamptonsjim,tpimonte,youngun and any other tristate guys.
Anyone with a long haul is welcome to crash at my house the night before.
Anyone who cant make it needs a note from their doctor.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Anyone who cant make it needs a note from their doctor.

LOL. I will be trying to attend some auto-xs this year so if I can be there, I will. I'd prefer we pick one of the larger auto-x. The really tight courses don't suit our cars very well. Then again, I've never driven an autox, so what do I know.

vanzuuk1
01-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Ralph Dont try, do it. Just do it. You have a running car and your minutes from the coliseum. I am only breaking your #$%^s cause I know how much fun you will have.
You are right, the tight course are not ideal for a musclecar, so what. Even at the fast courses a guy in an old datsun might be the fastest of the day. A b210 datsun used to dominate these events , the driver was a zen master in smooth.
All you guys with the twin turbo/ aluminum block/ carbon nosed/tube frame/ may never see the road project cars can just borrow their wife's ford focus for the day.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Ralph Dont try, do it. Just do it. You have a running car and your minutes from the coliseum. I am only breaking your #$%^s cause I know how much fun you will have.
You are right, the tight course are not ideal for a musclecar, so what. Even at the fast courses a guy in an old datsun might be the fastest of the day. A b210 datsun used to dominate these events , the driver was a zen master in smooth.

I understand what you're saying. I'm about 40 minutes from the Coliseum, so I should be able to get there. LOL on the Zen master of smooth.

All you guys with the twin turbo/ aluminum block/ carbon nosed/tube frame/ may never see the road project cars can just borrow their wife's ford focus for the day.

Haha, I'm probably in this group. If I sell the SS before the auto-x, I'm screwed. I guess I could always take the Tahoe :drive2:

Damn True
01-08-2006, 07:16 PM
I've been to a number of events out here with my room mate. He and a buddy of his both run Miatas. They routinely SCHOOL Vettes and Vipers. But, the guys in the Vette and Viper are having no less fun I assure you.

Steve Chryssos
01-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Okay. I'm in.

vanzuuk1
01-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Ralph.
Steevo.
Alright , thats three of us, its a start.

I was afraid I would be like belushi in animal house.

Or will ferrel in old school..."come on everybody we're goin autocrossing..."

zbugger
01-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Heh... try the BMW M3 guys. Those guys can move. Last time I was at De Anza it was nuts. I loved watching the Cutlass and the 69 Camaro go around though. Pretty impressive.

Steve Chryssos
01-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Heh... try the BMW M3 guys. Those guys can move. Last time I was at De Anza it was nuts. I loved watching the Cutlass and the 69 Camaro go around though. Pretty impressive.

Dude. Fly out. We'll have fun. My wife will bail us out of jail afterwards.

TPI Monte SS
01-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I'd be up for it! July/August works for me. Hopefully I'll have my new motor in by then too.

Steevo, you're lucky that your wife would bail you out of jail! My wife would just say, "Ah, shut up, you deserved it." :)

YoungGun
01-08-2006, 09:32 PM
I got to admit, I am still a baby in my car. It has seen a highway once (The P-T Gathering trip), and I have never really pushed it. But this could be seriously fun!!

Let me know the dates..since I will be backpacking Europe for a while from May into June!!!!!!

Maybe I can get the slowest time of the day! LOL Prize for that?

Tim

Damn True
01-09-2006, 03:50 AM
I got to admit, I am still a baby in my car. It has seen a highway once (The P-T Gathering trip), and I have never really pushed it. But this could be seriously fun!!

Let me know the dates..since I will be backpacking Europe for a while from May into June!!!!!!

Maybe I can get the slowest time of the day! LOL Prize for that?

Tim

The winner is the guy who has the most fun.

nitrovette
01-09-2006, 04:01 AM
if i have the LS1 completed by then im in,also fastcat72 should have his pantera done too and i know hell run,if im not done ill come up with him.

gsxrken
01-09-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm there, and my own cheering section will follow in the minivan. If any of you guys puts a Spiderman on your car somewhere, they'll probably cheer you on, too.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-09-2006, 07:37 PM
We should try to do the large gathering in either the spring, or fall. This way it's not too hot, and most people will show up. We can do several smaller auto-x gatherings over the summer, but if we're trying to make this big -- we might be best off doing it in the spring or fall, when it's 60-70* as opposed to 90.

I do encourage everyone to come out to the event, though. Those who've attended the cruises have had a great time, especially the second one where we really got to tear it up (and it was 40* cooler). The autocross should be even better, and will serve as good preparation for the track day, we'd eventually like to do.

vanzuuk1
01-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Tear it up? As in dangerous street driving? You administrator hypocrite. :lmao:

Never mind the fall , we roll in the spring. Cruising is for guys in leather chaps, this is drivin!

Who cares if sixty year old man in a lotus goes faster than us, there is only one way to learn.

Anyone who stays home that day to discuss polar moment or wheel rates on their computer is a cupcake.

"If its all the same to you , I'll drive that tanker".

Sorry, its been a long day.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Tear it up? As in dangerous street driving? You administrator hypocrite. :lmao:

LOL, I never claimed to be an advocate against street "racing", spirited driving, or whatever ya want to call it. It's all in good fun :)

Never mind the fall , we roll in the spring. Cruising is for guys in leather chaps, this is drivin.

The spring works for me. As I said, the 2nd "cruise" was much more fun, because of the driving :3gears:.

YoungGun
01-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Dirk,
You better hope nothing happens to you car over the summer!! Or you are gonna have to ride a bike around the track ;) :)

Since you put it so lightly, I will be there if I am home!

Where is this track anyway?

Tim

FScope
01-09-2006, 08:46 PM
As long as I have my car, count me in. But the car is going up for sale, and I would like to get rid of it before the summer, although, I may keep it long enough to do the Hot Rod Power Tour. I want to build somthing a little less convertible and a little more race car.

airrj1
01-10-2006, 07:12 AM
My first AutoX event here is late April. Any time after that and I am likely up for the trip down to the other end of the state. I need one shake down event locally before I drive 400 miles, beat on the car and then drive it 400 miles back.

Add me to the very interested list!

MrAngry
01-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Just saw this post... I'm am SO in.

Hell, I just ordered subframe connectors, new shocks, torque boxs and my rear swaybar for the Charger...

I WILL get this fat 19' SOB to go around a corner with the best of em'... I have a feeling though that it may be better suited a big road course, but I'll definitely throw it around autocross style!

vanzuuk1
01-10-2006, 04:04 PM
I think we have a rumble in the making, this is gonna be awesome.

Stay tuned , the autocross schedules are not all up yet.

Damn True
01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Make sure you station somoene with a camera (a wife or GF who arrives a few minutes early) to get the looks on the faces of the import guys when the freight-train of PT bruisers rolls in.

MoeBawlz
01-12-2006, 01:32 PM
I wish i lived where most of you guys are... How about you all drive to Illinois and we Auto X here? ok so maybe not, but id love to get up there and auto X... Ive only done it a few times but man is it addicting.

ZuperZport
01-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Dirk,
If the NASCamaro is not complete by then maybe I can strap it to my trailer and do the course with the Suburban. Would be quite a sight!!!

I might forgo (spelling?) paint and interior and just run the 67' in primer this season, which might allow me to see some autocross action.

Either way count me in!!!!!!!!

My first autocross memory: Marcia roasting Greg in the Caprice.
My most recent autocross memory: Dirk tossing the "Burly 69' " through the course at Nassau.

ProTouringNyc
01-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Shoot me the dates Im in, Id love to do an Auto Cross

vanzuuk1
01-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Heres an update guys, it looks like the first event will be at meadowlands or nassau coliseum.
We will be showing up at an event open to the public, when I have some dates I will direct you to the appropriate websites to preregister (optional) and read the rules.
The only things you need to know ahead of time is the helmet spec (tba) and make sure your car will pass tech. Tech is basic, batteries secure, no loose wheel bearings, car stops straight, etc.
We will be guests so we need to respect the club holding the event. I know you guys know this already, but no vehicular foolishness anywhere except on the course. Just a reminder.
I will have more details within a few weeks.

vanzuuk1
01-13-2006, 04:42 PM
R. J. If you are thinking of coming down let me know, pm me.

Rick Dorion
01-14-2006, 04:26 AM
I'm in. Wish I still had my 240Z :) It'll be touch/go for the Spring as my car is engine-less while a replacement is being built. There's always the K1500!

BRIAN
01-14-2006, 07:09 PM
If it is early summer and you guys want to get a good laugh as I plow through the cones with my 62 Rambler I might be in. Manual rack and pinion, 10 inch steering wheel and 245 front tires. Yeah, I will be hitting something for sure.

vanzuuk1
01-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Guys I am really glad everyone is stepping up to the plate, Sweet.

If enough guys want to do it we can rent the autocross course at englishtown and have it for ourselves.

Brian, it would be great if you made it.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-15-2006, 10:22 AM
If enough guys want to do it we can rent the autocross course at englishtown and have it for ourselves.

Any idea on the cost, renting the course sounds cool? I'd have to play it by ear for an englishtown event though, as it's about 2.5 hour drive, and I'd have to go through the BQE which I really do not want to subject my suspension to.

Dave96dcm
01-15-2006, 01:54 PM
http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/GCR2006.pdf

FYI the 2006 scca rulebook.

I noticed that rule 17.38 says that automatic transmissions are prohibited in all classes. I didn't know that and I find that id is weird. Mabye I'm reading it wrong. But all 3 of my cars are m/t anyway :)

Steve Chryssos
01-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Any idea on the cost, renting the course sounds cool? I'd have to play it by ear for an englishtown event though, as it's about 2.5 hour drive, and I'd have to go through the BQE which I really do not want to subject my suspension to.

Naw. E-town is right around 100 miles. Belt to Verrazano the the Gotham City bridge. Piece O' pie if you survive the belt.

vanzuuk1
01-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Automatic cars are fine, I spoke to the guy that runs the events.

We will be at nassau coliseum or meadowlands, englishtown was a thought for later.

Schedules should be up in a few weeks the latest.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Naw. E-town is right around 100 miles. Belt to Verrazano the the Gotham City bridge. Piece O' pie if you survive the belt.

That's not too bad then, and if we leave early in the morning, I guess it wouldn't be 2.5 hours. I'm haunted by my drives to Staten Island on Saturday and Sunday afternoons-- 3-4 hours sometimes to go 75 miles.

The belt isn't bad since they just repaved it.

Nassau Colliseum would be best for me, but I'll try to make the meadowlands as well, if you guys go there. What's the mileage on that one?

I wonder if we could rent Bald Hill for an autocross? Mike and I were thinking it would make a great parking lot for a course, since it's huge. Save for a few lamp posts here and there, we could probably set something up pretty nice. I know the rent it for car shows, I doubt autox, though?

vanzuuk1
01-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Its a whole other headache to do an autocross , insurance and permits. A lot of the small car clubs just cant do them any more. Even the cones are expensive.

vanzuuk1
01-23-2006, 05:16 PM
I also have someone interested in shooting some photos, here are examples of his work. He has a website full of great racing photography, plaftaphoto.com.

GMachineDartGT
01-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Auto x is a pissa. You'd be surprised what you learn there. I agree with get out and drive, especially with 200K+ miles on my "g machine".

gsxrken
02-01-2006, 08:22 PM
How reasonable is Englishtown if we were going to toy with the idea of renting it? Didn't they just build a mini road course?
What would also be cool about that is we could line up for a few passes down the quarter mile, too. If it was less than, say $300 per guy... I'd be in for that.

vanzuuk1
02-02-2006, 04:08 AM
Hey Ken englishtown is about three grand for the day but you get the autocross lot only, you couldnt wander over and make passes. Forget that 1/4 mile stuff, you just want to brandish your r.e.d. engine!

Its looking like meadowlands or nassau in late april.