PDA

View Full Version : LS1 Purchase opportunity ????

69Myway
09-25-2004, 02:00 PM
As you guys know my current plan for the 69 Camaro is to use a LT1 from a 95 F body with brackets and accessories from a 1995 Caprice to install an ATI intercooled procharger with the auto trans and 9".

Today a buddy of mine offered an LS1 with intake, injectors, water pump, for $400. Of course I would have to use a different trans (bellhousing issue), and get the starter, accesories, etc. etc.

For the same $5K the Procharger will cost I can get a roots style blower for the LS1.

I assume I can sell all my LT1 stuff to get the $$$ I need for the other things.

Thoughts?

69Myway
09-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Oh BTW, the LS1 had a damaged oil pan. It belongs to a tech that replaced it for an insurance job where an entire engine was bought salvage.

Per my buddy there is NO damage to the motor. It shut down when it lost oil pressure (pressure switch over rides the fuel pump). He has another oil pan for it.

He has ZERO $$ in it as the salavage yard did not request it as a core and the dealer was going to have it tossed.

I would however do rings, bearings...etc. anyway with any mystery motor I would buy for this car including the LT1 I am playing with right now.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-25-2004, 04:11 PM
$400 for an LS1 in working order is a good deal.

Patrolman808
09-26-2004, 04:01 AM
$400 plus about $200 for the modified oil pan to fit your car is a WHOLE lot cheaper than the $5200 I gave for mine =( I'd go for it. If all esle fails and you decide to stick with the LT1, you can sell/part out the LS1 for tons more than you paid for it.

Andrew McBride
09-26-2004, 06:53 AM
yeah, u better jump on that deal. If you decide to sell the motor you can always use the profit "like partrolman" said towards your car.

Andrew

69Myway
09-26-2004, 07:54 AM
I am really warming up to the idea. Gotta make time next week to go see it and make sure it is what he claims, then snatch it.

It really would make the most sense. I am running the C5 13" brakes, C5 wheels, and I am running the late 4th gen, or otherwise LS1 rear disc set up with the ebrake built into the rotor. In other words, most of the major components on the car would otherwise have come from a LS1 powered machine.

LS1NOVA
09-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Go For It, Its A Good Deal.

yody
09-27-2004, 06:49 PM
if you don't get it please email me, as i will buy it and pay for shipping. thanks!

69Myway
09-28-2004, 12:54 AM
if you don't get it please email me, as i will buy it and pay for shipping. thanks!
Going to see it on Wed. I will let you guys know.

kman67rsss
09-30-2004, 05:22 PM
well,whats the deal, do you have a new motor, or did you mean next wednesday? as in october

69Myway
10-01-2004, 12:53 AM
well,whats the deal, do you have a new motor, or did you mean next wednesday? as in october
It turns out the fellow that has it took it from work and moved it way across town to a place he has with his brother. I met him on Wedneday and saw him again on Thursday.

He is going to pick it up this weekend and bring it to work with him on Monday. We will just make the deal then.

I am soooooo pumped up about this now.

I have been on the net researching the LS1 swap info like a maniac!!!!!!!

So...if all goes well I will have it back here this Monday.

Nine Ball
10-01-2004, 01:25 PM
BTW, the only thing that concerns me is your statement that the oil pressure dropped and shut the engine down. If your buddy told you that, I'd be somewhat skeptical of this deal.

LS1s do not shut down when oil pressure drops. There is no relation to oil pressure and the PCM operating. Just the gauge will show 0, but it will still run.

$400 is a good deal still. Just the block and bare head cores are worth that. Figure another $200 for the rotating assembly, another $60 for the water pump, $100 for the front and rear covers, $50 for valvecovers, $20 for LS1 intake, etc... and it adds up quickly.

I'd buy it just for the block and head cores for that price

69Myway
10-01-2004, 02:47 PM
I told you guys wrong. I talked to him yesterday.

The car was stolen and in a chase. It was damaged.

I guess they did not know there was a hole in the pan.

It went to the body shop. The body shop guys had the engine running and noticed something was wrong. They sent it over to service at the same GM dealer. That is when they found the pan and removed it. There was under body collision damage of some kind.

They got another pan for the motor but the mechanic did not have a good feeling about it and had no idea how hard it was run with the oil gone.

I ASSUMED IT WOULD SHUT DOWN LIKE THE OLDER MOTORS, based upon bits and pieces of what he told me before.

At this point I fully expect to require a rebuild. I don't anticipate any problem with the heads or other parts.

69Myway
10-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Its a done deal.

Picked it up yesterday. Here is a pic of it on the ground. The intake, new oil pan, fexplate, etc. are not pictured here:

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/files/long_block.JPG

Here is why I got it all for $400. Notice the nice hole in the old pan. More on this later after I get it torn down a bit.

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/files/hole.JPG

68ls1
10-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Good luck with that. It's going to cost an arm and a leg to it running based on what is in the pic. I don't see a PCM, harness, ignition coils or sensors. I'm not sure what running the heck out of the oil pump without oil does to it either. I'm not trying to be a pessimist, more like a realist. Theres alot missing that will add up, thats all. Good luck!

Noel

69Myway
10-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Good luck with that. It's going to cost an arm and a leg to it running based on what is in the pic. I don't see a PCM, harness, ignition coils or sensors. I'm not sure what running the heck out of the oil pump without oil does to it either. I'm not trying to be a pessimist, more like a realist. Theres alot missing that will add up, thats all. Good luck!

Noel
Yep, you are right. However I do intend on selling my three LT1 engines and spare 4L60E to get the cash I need to make it go.

I just sold an 81 Vette motor that paid for this one, so at this time I am at ZERO dollars! Nothing like a good challenge to get me rolling.

I pulled the pan and found it to be perfect inside. He was straight up with me, as the damage clearly came from outside in.