PDA

View Full Version : DSE front coilover adjusting

dplenzig
01-05-2006, 08:44 PM
I am installing the DSE front coilover conversion on my 69 camaro and it looks like adjusting them could be a pain. I want to know a good starting point for ride height on a smallblock car. I was thinking a measurement from the top of the adjuster locknut to the top thread. I know there are many things to consider, but I was hoping to get fairly close.

Thanks, Daren

Van B
01-05-2006, 08:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like you would have to almost remove it to change ride height or damping. I have to think it would have been thought out better than that.

TitoJones
01-06-2006, 11:05 AM
It IS a real pain to adjust. The entire assembly has to be pulled from the car (which means busting a ball joint loose, removing the sway bar link, and both coil over bolts) and then put into a external coil spring adjuster to change the stance.
We have become very good at doing it, since our SEMA car was equipped with this setup, but it still takes us over 50 minutes per side.
A slightly better coil over option is the entire setup from GW. You can get a spanner on the coil over while still in the car, and it doesn't need to be welded in with the engine out of the subframe.

Tyler

Damn True
01-06-2006, 11:10 AM
No kidding?
Wow, kinda defeats the purpose of adjustability when it involves that level of dissasembly.

It would take a month of track days to tune your suspension.

Van B
01-06-2006, 11:58 AM
I am right to the point of cutting off my upper control arm mounts, I may reconsider now.

Just thinking....if you did not weld in the closeouts for the upper part of the shock hole, would you be able to pull the shock out the top? Probably not. Or...with the DSE tubular a arms can it come out the bottom?

Tyler, your thoughts?

TitoJones
01-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Jeff-
Neither option will work. You might as well go through with the rest of it.
I don't mean to sway anyone away from this kit. It drives killer, and rides very nice. I can honestly say most of you guys are not going to swap out springs and change your stance more than once in your car's lifetime. Once it is set up, you can really leave it alone. If you do lots of adjustments on your track car, you might want to dial it in before the track day, and bring an extra set of coil overs with different spring rates already installed, so you can swap it out quicker.

Tyler

Van B
01-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Back to the original question, I am going to give Kyle a call when I am ready to put it together and get his advice on setup height and damping setting. I don't want to take it back apart more than once or twice.

BTW Tyler, I got the crossmember, hydraulics and the rest of the order yesterday and everything looks great. I can't wait to start assembling.