PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Lines Saginaw pump to DSE Rack

Alponcho
04-09-2022, 12:31 PM
I need some help with power steering lines for my factory appearing '70 Firebird. I have a Saginaw style pump that I need to connect to a DSE steering rack. The problem is I only have about 1.75" between the pressure side output of the pump (which is 5/8 inverted flare) and the head (aftermarket Pontiac). I tried a 5/8 to -6 adaptor and the 90 degree fitting that came with the DSE hose kit (which converts everything to -6) but at over 2" it won't work.

Does anyone have a simple solution for this? I spent several hours online today and came up empty...maybe not looking for the right stuff.

At this point, I'm thinking about making my own adaptor using some 3/8 nicopp line I have on hand. I'd use 5/8 IF male to a 5/8 IF male. Then I could use a female 5/8 IF junction, to which I would connect the 5/8 IF to -6 adaptor. Would this work?

Seems like a lot of connections, especially for high pressure, but not sure what else to do. Open to suggestions. I'm new to making lines if you haven't guessed already. Local hydraulic places have not been very helpful.

ZZ430
04-09-2022, 02:00 PM
Can you unbolt the pump and get the fitting started? It looks from here like it will clear the head.

Alponcho
04-09-2022, 02:22 PM
Tried that, even with the adaptor and fitting secured, I'm still about .25 too long. And I cannot swing the PS pump away from the head enough before hitting the valve cover. So I'm stuck with 1.75. The factory line is bent 150 degrees.

ZZ430
04-09-2022, 02:42 PM
How about this?

$24.99
Fitting, Hose End, PTFE Racing Hose, 90 Degree, -6 AN Hose to 5/8-18 in. Inverted Flare, Steel, Natural, Each

Aeroquip FBM1144

Alponcho
04-09-2022, 03:23 PM
That looks like it may work depending on the dimensions. It looks like I would have to use Aeroquip PTFE hose, if so, how difficult to assemble? A 5/8 to 6an adaptor would be ideal so I could use the hose from the DSE kit, but haven't found one that would work yet.

ZZ430
04-09-2022, 03:43 PM
All the -6 PTFE hose I've worked with is interchangeable between brands.

Nothing real difficult, just keep in mind the PS pressures your working with are high.

I don't have my R&P photos on this computer, but this is a DSE type II pump with their -6 fittings and Aeroquip hose.

Bad Bowtie
04-10-2022, 04:00 AM
Alponcho,
Could you go with something like this...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-980664-bl?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw_mQ8reJ9wIV0xatBh1gfAJSEAQYBSAB EgJJJfD_BwE
You would need to make sure the threaded bolt part matches you pump thread through as I believe they come in different sized. Looks like your hose size is 6an.

Hope this helps,
BB

Alponcho
04-10-2022, 05:15 AM
Alponcho,
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-980664-bl?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw_mQ8reJ9wIV0xatBh1gfAJSEAQYBSAB EgJJJfD_BwE
You would need to make sure the threaded bolt part matches you pump thread through as I believe they come in different sized. Looks like your hose size is 6an.

Hope this helps,
BB

Thanks. I thought of this, but then I think I would need an adaptor to fit the banjo bolt to 5/8 inverted flare, which I can't find.

ZZ430
04-10-2022, 07:29 AM
90's don't get any tighter than the fitting I posted above.

Aeroquip FBM1144

What DSE hose and fittings do you have now?

79 Camaro
04-10-2022, 01:38 PM
May be a dumb idea but could you grind a .25 relief in the head? Would the relief hit a coolant passage or exhaust passage? Do you have a spare similar head to grind/test?

Bad Bowtie
04-10-2022, 02:05 PM
Alponcho,

Hope this helps,
BB

One more shot, it looks tighter....
Vibrant -6AN Female To -6AN Male 90 Degree Swivel Adapter Fitting: K Series Parts (https://www.kseriesparts.com/VIB-10782.html)

BB

Alponcho
04-11-2022, 05:59 AM
What DSE hose and fittings do you have now?

https://www.detroitspeed.com/products/steering/power_steering_hoses_and_lines/parts/091302DS

and the fitting/adaptor is a simple 5/8 male inverted flare to male -6.

Wonder if I could use that Aeroquip FBM1144 adaptor with the hose that came with the DSE kit? This assumes that the dimensions for that adaptor work.

Alponcho
04-12-2022, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. Finally found a hydraulic shop to make a line for me. They used the 5/8 fitting and a section of hard line from my original hose on the pump end, to a crimped -6 fitting on the other end. I had him make it with black rubber hose rather than braided. He made a low pressure hose to match. It looks good , but man it was tougher than I thought it would be to get a wrench in there to tighten the fittings.

The only thing I used from the DSE kit were the -6 adaptor fittings for their rack. One more thing to add to the pile of unused parts for my project.