PDA

View Full Version : Non stupid looking hood latches found..

Steve1968LS2
01-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Found my new hood latches and they don't look like they came out of a 1970's hot rod movie.

First saw them at SEMA on Matt Delaney's Challenger. They are made in England, but they have a several dealers in the US. One is right down the street so I am gonna go pick up a set.

Check them out:
http://www.aerocatch.com/automotive-home.html

They are composite plastic and easy to install. there two types, one where you see the screws (what I got) and one where you don't. Either can be ordered in a locking version.

Just thought they were cool.. think they are in the $80 range.

MoeBawlz
01-05-2006, 09:40 AM
those are pretty cool... why does everyone have to keep putting cool things on the board? now i gotta ponder over the possibilities...

slowcamaro
01-05-2006, 11:16 AM
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10277

i posted these up a while back, not everybody has the same opinion on them...

Steve1968LS2
01-05-2006, 12:20 PM
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10277

i posted these up a while back, not everybody has the same opinion on them...

I saw them on a car and they looked pretty good.. my car has a more "racecar" look so I think they would look cool. They would look better on a dark car though.

And they are quite functional.. I would not run the locks.

Safety first.. right?

Damn True
01-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Frank was looking for some sort of latch system for Prodigy and somone suggested those. He went another way, but I think they look great.

....and with a glass hood you really ought to have something on the corners if you are going to spend any time at all at high speeds.

Steve1968LS2
01-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Frank was looking for some sort of latch system for Prodigy and somone suggested those. He went another way, but I think they look great.

....and with a glass hood you really ought to have something on the corners if you are going to spend any time at all at high speeds.

I won't have a glass hood. I will have a steel Cowl hood but I am saving enough paint to cover a nice lightweight carbon fiber one when someone comes out with a reasonably priced one.

I had my hood come open on my '67 Camaro once, scared the crap outta me. Since I plan on some high speed driving this seemed like a safe deal. I just wish they were made from brushed billet.. lol

vanzuuk1
01-05-2006, 03:06 PM
I think the old style pins look great on a matte black hood.Thats just my opinion.

Steve1968LS2
01-05-2006, 03:24 PM
I think the old style pins look great on a matte black hood.Thats just my opinion.

On the right car they look fine but nothing about my car is "old school" so these more modern ones will fit the bill better.

datsbad
01-10-2006, 05:55 AM
thanks for the idea Steve . That would look good on my black 69 , huh?

Steve1968LS2
01-13-2006, 09:58 AM
thanks for the idea Steve . That would look good on my black 69 , huh?

Yea, looks good on black.. I was told they are paintable but I would worry how the paint would hold up.

I think black will be fine on Penny, she is supposed to have a hard-ass look.. lol

I went and bought them yesterday.. pretty cool how they function.

Here they are installed on a black musclecar..

Damn True
01-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Those will look killer on mine with the flat black hood eh?

Take some pics when you install them and let us know if they work well.

6'9"Witha69
01-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Steve, where did you pick them up? I will be starting a new job in Irvine so I will be driving through that area every day!

Steve1968LS2
01-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Those will look killer on mine with the flat black hood eh?

Take some pics when you install them and let us know if they work well.

I know they work well since I screwed around with the ones mounted on Matt Delaneys car (the one above)..

And they are VERY strong.. the way they lock is much stronger than the factory hood latch.

In fact I have decided to ditch the factory latch and delete that mechanism. I have a DSE Closeout on the way and a devious plan for a cool mod :)

These would look great on a flat black or even black hood.

If you had a fiberglass hood you could get the low profile ones and bond them in.. I don't mind the bolt on ones though..

Steve1968LS2
01-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Steve, where did you pick them up? I will be starting a new job in Irvine so I will be driving through that area every day!

A little race car fab shop in Huntington Beach..

http://www.coastfab.com/