PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk seats

Damn True
01-04-2006, 11:43 PM
When I rode in Mary's '73 I was really impressed by the stability of the seats (Corbeau I believe, but I don't have any idea of the model) though they were a bit snug for my big butt.

Let's hear your thoughts on seats.

Do's & Dont's from a safetly standpoint.

Mounting tech

other info as desired

alcino
01-05-2006, 09:55 AM
I have the corbeau CR1. Probably their best selling seat. I am about a 35-36 inch waist and the standard size fits perfect. I did try their A4, man it was way too tight. They do make a wide version too in some models if need be. Its a good middle ground seat not cheap but not expensive either.

Just so you know when you put seats like this in your car ( high bolsters) its going to be harder to get in and out for jumping in to go to the grocery store. But it will make driving easier.

As for dos and don't. I would go to competitions and ask around. See what people are using and what their opinions are. I personally like my seats, just wish I had them in a vinyl or leather cause the cloth gets dirty so easily from track dust. Also you want to have them solidly mounted to the body. Stock location holes are ok just use some big washers to distribute the force. I guess ideal would be mounted to some frame structure.

Alcino

CAMAROBOY69
01-05-2006, 11:03 AM
If you want a safety hint I would look past the seats and look more at seat belts. You want at least a 3 or 4 point seatbelt. The old school lap belts are not safe at all.
For seats just get something that is very comfortable for you. Your seats are one of the most important comfort features you will buy for the interior. Electric lumbar controls are very very nice to add comfort. That also helps a lot when your on a track. I sink the back part in and make the outer part hug me when im on the track. I get held right into place with the push of a couple buttons.
For long trips I make the back lumbar push into my spine more to keep my back straight and comfortable for long rides like on the power tour. The more adjustments you can get the better ergonomic your car will be.

vanzuuk1
01-06-2006, 06:28 PM
I am not an expert on this but heres my opinion-

The worst is the stock bucket with a lap belt.

The best is a 1000$ kirkey style seat tied into the cage, five point harness and the headrest ears that flank the helmet. Awesome to drive in and very safe but a pain to get in and out of.

Somewhere beetween the two extremes is a nice corbeau style seat, anchored properly to the floor, and a good four point (also mounted properly).(streetfighter 68 has something similar)

Steevo's car feels great when you sit in it , secure but not too hard to get in and out of.

Generally speaking, a seat that is adjustable will fail before a solid seat. A 200 pound body is said to exert a momentary force up to 3000 pounds. That can rip a seat or seat belts out of their mounts and deform a seat structure.

I knew a guy who went off the road at high rate of speed in a 69 chevelle with his lap belt on. He was wedged between the rear seat and the quarter by the force of the crash, the emts worked on him from the passenger side of the trunk. I am not trying to be morbid , just illustrating what happens when 60's cars hit solid objects.

On a lighter note , you have much more control of your car when you get a decent seat and belts.

zbugger
01-08-2006, 02:18 PM
If you want a safety hint I would look past the seats and look more at seat belts......
Sorry to say this Adam, but you're wrong here. Seats are JUST as important to safety. You really have to find a seat that is as safe as can be, yet you still feel comfortable in. The belts only hold you in the seat. The seat is what holds you in the car. PLEASE don't separate safety components. They work together to save you. Skimp on one, and you can still hurt yourself. Most stock seats have no anti-submarine assistance. In stock seats, I have to sit closer to the wheel so I can use my feet on the floor board to push myself back into the seat. It's not the safest thing to do, but it's a street car. When I get seats for my Camaro, it's gonna be different. Remember, safety components work as a package. Build it right, and build it safe.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-08-2006, 06:44 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Lightweight, affordable and very supportive.

I will likely be running these in my car.

http://www.corbeau.com/products/fx1pro/fx1pro.shtml#

Damn True
01-08-2006, 06:49 PM
How big of a comprimise in safety is a reclining seat? I have no intention of even having a back seat, that isn't the issue. But, the ideal seating position for driving on a track, is not the position I wish to be in while sitting in Bay Area traffic or on the 3+ hour drive to/from Buttonwillow, Thunderhill or Sears Point. Laguna Seca is only about 1.5 hours, but I doubt my car when done will get by their noise standards.

vanzuuk1
01-08-2006, 07:41 PM
I dont have any tech but the hinge mechanism is considered one more thing to fail in an event. Thats how the tech guy at limeock explained it to me.

vanzuuk1
01-08-2006, 07:44 PM
And dont forget to attach everything like your life depends on it, because it does.

Damn True
01-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh no doubt. I designed a new seat interface for the HH-65 when I was still in the CG. My life DID depend on it. I was still flying in the things.

vanzuuk1
01-08-2006, 07:51 PM
You lost me buddy.

Steve Chryssos
01-08-2006, 08:15 PM
CG. California Girls--as in "I wish they all could be...." Maybe he was in the David Lee Roth video from the eighties. I loved that video. The midwest farmer's daughter was my favorite.

Damn True
01-09-2006, 12:21 AM
CG = Coast Guard

I was on the design team for a new HH-65 helicopter aircrew seat. I designed, built and submitted for testing the seat/airframe interface. Went through a couple of revisions at some wacky Air Force wierd science test lab but it is still in use today.

Steve Chryssos
01-09-2006, 04:55 AM
CG = Coast Guard.....

Oh. Yeah, Coast Guard

69Nova
01-09-2006, 08:13 AM

I want those to but how would they be in everyday traffic. I like to drive my car around town so should I have a reclining seat for everyday driving and non for more spirited events.

Steve Chryssos
01-09-2006, 08:59 AM
I'll take pix of my install. I had the seat fitted exactly where I wanted it and then had custom brackets made with a bit of incline. If you are doing a roll bar, there is not much room fro reclinning any way. My passenger seat hinges and only reclines 5 to 10 degrees depending on how far forward it sits on the sliders. The driver's seat is hard mounted to the floor and rollcage.

Steve Chryssos
01-09-2006, 09:01 AM
As for everyday traffic, the only part that get annoying after a while is the big under thigh cushion. That can be fixed with a small removable pad under the ass if it really bugs you. I got used to it.

EDIT: An added benefit. The heavily bolstered seat helps keep your weight in check. If you eat too much around the holidays, the seat acts as a go / no go gauge.

69Nova
01-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Thats what I was thinking. Usually my seats are somewhat upright anyway so I figured it would probly not bother me much if at all.

parsonsj
01-09-2006, 12:21 PM
the seat acts as a go / no go gaugelol, I've been using Levi's for that.

jp

Damn True
01-09-2006, 02:14 PM
I'll take pix of my install. I had the seat fitted exactly where I wanted it and then had custom brackets made with a bit of incline. If you are doing a roll bar, there is not much room fro reclinning any way.

That leaves no room for your Gangsta lean.

Steve Chryssos
01-09-2006, 03:51 PM
That leaves no room for your Gangsta lean.

Completely unnecessary.

Damn True
01-09-2006, 04:14 PM
But I thought you were the OG (Original Greek)?

Patrick
01-09-2006, 04:16 PM

http://www.corbeau.com/products/fx1pro/fx1pro.shtml#

I used these seats in my last car. I found them to be very comfortable even without the ability to recline (plus they are fairly light). I did however have them mounted on sliders-- so there was some adjustability.

Steve Chryssos
01-09-2006, 05:43 PM
But I thought you were the OG (Original Greek)?

Ralph LoGrasso
01-09-2006, 05:58 PM
I want those to but how would they be in everyday traffic. I like to drive my car around town so should I have a reclining seat for everyday driving and non for more spirited events.

As Patrick and Steevo said, they're not too bad if you mount them in the right position. I've sat in fixed back seats before, and found them pretty comfortable. There's a decent amount of recline built into the seat. I adjust reclineable seats, maybe twice the entire time I own a car, so I'm not to worried about the adjustments in traffic. If you adjust a seat fairly often, then you might want to go with something that reclines.

Damn True
01-09-2006, 06:04 PM
I was actually thinking more along the lines of Aristotle Onasis

Maria Callas and Jackie O!

Pretty fly for a Greek guy!

69Nova
01-09-2006, 06:06 PM
I hate moving my seats in my pickup truck to use the back because I lose my seating postion. Once I find it it stays that way...... until I need to get in the back again:hand:

Ralph LoGrasso
01-09-2006, 06:09 PM
I hate moving my seats in my pickup truck to use the back because I lose my seating postion. Once I find it it stays that way...... until I need to get in the back again:hand:

LOL yeah, I'm the same way. This is also why I never let other people drive my cars (among other reasons). It takes a long time to find a comfortable seat position, and having to readjust isn't right. I guess another pro for the fixed back seats is that you can't adjust. Find the position once, make sure yer happy with it, and you're golden.

GMachineDartGT
01-28-2006, 04:29 AM
I've had Flofits for 13 years. They look almost new, and are very solid. Besides, the bracket they gave me fit the original bucket seat holes in the floor, which are reinforced in that area. Slick set up.

StRacerDuke
02-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Jumping in late, but never-the-less:

First I'm sure we all agree stock seats suck. From mustang's stock seats were horrible running around Sears Point in. I was able to do a few sesions in a Z06 at Sears and those seat's weren't much better. They felt flimsy.

At another Sears Point event I was able to ride in a Factory Five chalange(racer) cobra with the aluminum high back Kilarny's and those rocked! They were a PITA to get in and out of even with a 32" waist. Great for racing, bad for everyday use.

Every time I hang out in the pits at an open track day or NASA event I notice what seams to be about 75% of the cars have Sparco's in them. I've talked to a few people who say they are well worth the money. I've only been in a few cars with them and they were very easy to get in and out of. There's plenty of cusion for everyday use and have enough support for racing.

The Corbeau's look like a nice seat too. I sat in a set that were in a 67 PT camaro I painted. They weren't competition seats, but they were comfortable. I'm 6'4" and I did notice that I sat up too high with them in the Camaro. I would have never fit with my helmet on.

That's another consideration when choosing seats. If you plan on doing any track time make sure you measure for your helmet if you're over 6' tall. The last think you want is to show up at your first track event, put your helmet on, and realize that it rubs the head liner. That will make for a very unpleasant day, lol.

Damn True
02-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Ryan,
What is it you do that combines New Haven and Livermore? Nuke/Sub stuff?

Good info there.
I'd be interested in knowing how many people use the seat tracks supplied by the various companies.
Wondering how much of your precieved height differential is in the seat pan to cushion top distance, and how much is in the mounting assembly.

When I rode in the Pozzi's Corbeau equipped '73 I had no problem with helmet room. I stand 5'10".

StRacerDuke
02-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Nuke/Sub stuff, lol. That would be interesting. I spent last year working and living in Italy while my fiance did medical research. I came back to CA after the summer, spent 6 months helping out the company I was working for go through an merger, then moved to NH. My lady is finishing Med school out here, I'm studying for my Gmat, then it's off to another city (probably Boston). I live in NH now but frequently travel between CA and NYC for family and wedding stuff. That's why the CA/CT location is there for now.

David Pozzi
02-24-2006, 09:42 AM
True,
Mary's seats are the corbeau CR1.
They are also available in a 1" wider version which would have been better. They are a bit tight on width (lower back/ribbs) for me and Mary. I have a pair of the Corbeau A1's I think they are. They are a tighter on the thighs than Mary's seats, but wider on top. If you want a test sit in them let me know. They look easier to get into and out of, are built more for the ricer crowd where the cars have less width for the bottom part of the seat.

RaceMan
02-26-2006, 06:03 AM
Has anyone done a 5-point harness with their back seat still useable , I would like to get the best of both and be able to race the car but also take the family for a ride , I know you've got to have the bar behind the seat for belt mounts (not good for back seat ) hopefully I can make that work and still get in the back seat ????:dunno:

syborg tt
02-26-2006, 11:10 AM
many cars have done this with a removable cross bar.

Steve68
02-28-2006, 12:21 PM
DSE's new rollcage has the removable rear bar for back seat access,

I'm seriously looking into the basic 4 point, but tucked up neat and clean, I have kids, that will like to sit in the back.

and did anybody see "Rember the Titans" the 67 the kids driving takes a nasty hit to the side right to the rear quarter and it folds nicely, I know it's a movie, but get you thinking,

Blown353
02-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Those of you with Corbeau seats, especially CR1's-- how is the material holding up? I sat in a set last weekend and thought they were quite comfortable (although they were the wide version-- having a bit less than a 32" waist I'd get the narrow version) but I have doubts about how long the seat cover material is going to last. Didn't look or feel very durable. I put quite a few miles on my car (over 8,000 last year alone, almost as much as my daily driver) and I want something that stays looking good for a while. I'm hoping for some real world experience about Corbeau's cover durability as I liked the comfort level and really liked the price point compared to my other choice in 2-piece reclining seats Sparco Torino 2's at $200/seat more.

I like the idea of a 1-piece seat, both for weight savings and especially the extra support around the waist to keep you in check for turning, but I worry about ingress/egress issues especially with older and less mobile passengers. Plus, one piece seats really limit access to the backseat which I do still put people in from time to time. Anyone with a 1-piece seat care to comment on ease of getting in and out? I'm mostly worried about "butt dragging" passengers wearing out the tops of the thigh bolsters. In the 1-piece arena I'm considering Corbeau FX1's and also Sparco Roadster 2's (appealing for the lower thigh bolsters making for easier getting in and out) and also the Sparco Fighters.

Again, the worst thing is nobody around here stocks them so I can plant my butt in them for evaluation purposes.

Troy

69Nova
03-01-2006, 07:06 AM
but I worry about ingress/egress issues especially with older and less mobile passengers. Thats the same with me. But not only with the older crowed but the females too.

GregD
03-01-2006, 07:21 AM
I wish I could remember what manufacturer's website I saw this on, but they showed a few different mounting points that could be used for different harnesses. One of them used the stock shoulder mounting point for the harness. The harness was a 4 pt I believe with a retractor built into it. The lap belt mounted in the stock location. The shoulder straps formed a 'Y" and the single mounting point went to the stock shoulder mounting point. It required a seat that had the slot for the shoulder harness. The beauty of it was that the retractor allowed you to keep the harness mounted and still be able to tilt your seat forward for entering the reat seat.

***I found the link I was talking about. Take a look at the different mounting options for the Rallye 3 Harness.
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Rallye_Instructions.pdf

SHANE 73Z
03-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Those of you with Corbeau seats, especially CR1's-- how is the material holding up?
Troy

Troy,

I have the Cr1s in my car. 73z nontilting column. Its funny, the vinyl "high wear" areas have shown the worst wear. I am 5'10" (and short legged)so the seats are about 2-3 inches from being clear back in the sliders. I have to kinda slide in under the wheel and my butt drags across the kidney bolster. The wear patch on the left kidney bolster has ripped already (approx 5k miles) granted this was dragging my fat a$$ across it while wearing jeans but I was still a little disappointed.

They will eventually get recovered with stock style vinyl, because I prefer the look. If the ingress/egress is alright in your car, I think you would like them.

Hope this helps,
Shane

Damn True
03-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Are you using an OE size steering wheel?

SHANE 73Z
03-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Are you using an OE size steering wheel?

True,

I am using a slightly smaller Grant wheel, its either 13" or 13-1/2" diameter.

Shane

Blown353
03-02-2006, 05:55 PM
The wear patch on the left kidney bolster has ripped already (approx 5k miles) granted this was dragging my fat a$$ across it while wearing jeans but I was still a little disappointed.

This is exactly the thing I wanted to hear. Any other Corbeau users have reports on their durability?

I'd also like to hear from Sparco owners, how are your seats holding up?

Troy

Damn True
09-01-2006, 04:25 PM
If you are in the market for seats and are planning on putting your car on a track, you may wish to refer to this list.

Many popular seats have had their FIA ratings pulled.

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/949453471__List_12_Approved_seats.pdf

67BlackBird
09-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I've been looking at seats with shoulder belts integrated into the seat, you know, so any rear seat passanger can get in back and I dont have to have those way-too-long shoulder belts up front in my convertable. Chrysler Sebring has em (too ugly), new Saab convertable has em, (to tall from base to seat), and BMW 3-series convertable seats- ( do you believe the dealer wants $2,800, EACH!??). Has anyone tried this before, or seen it done?
I understand the pull to 4-point belts, but I don't want a cage.

Damn True
09-05-2006, 10:06 PM
You ought to be able to find a wrecked 3-series vert.

Tiger
09-06-2006, 03:39 AM
I'll be going for the fully electric (memory) 3series convertible seats, possibly the sport model.
here in europe a complete interior is around 1-1,5K euros which is below $2k

67BlackBird
09-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I guess, I have not had much luck round here, there must be some some BMW junkyards up in Atlanta, they way folks drive up there!:drive2: :drive2: Anybody know of them? Junkyards, that is...

Marcus SC&C
10-23-2006, 10:17 AM
It would be worth checking these out too. http://www.mastercraftseats.com/prod-3g.shtml http://www.mastercraftseats.com/prod-bajars.shtml
They`re known mostly in off road racing (where they`re THE seats to have) but several models work well in cars as well. We`ve used a few sets in customer cars and we`ve had the same one in our EC4WDA CJ5 off road racer since 1974. The only damage to the seat after 32 years of climing into it over the cage is a little wear on some of the piping and where mice munched on it. They`re suspension seats with webbing stretched accross a chrome moly tube frame.They`re super comfortable and most of them weight less than 20lbs. Adj. lumbar support is an option. We don`t sell them or anything like that but they`re great seats. Mark SC&C

vcho455
10-31-2006, 03:58 AM
I used a set of MR2 seats in a daily driver. they were a good fit on my 32" butt and light weight to boot. I had them reupholstered to allow a anti-submarine belt slot in the seat. I'm 6'2" and it was a lot of work to make them work and still have the 3 inches of clearance above my helmet that the NHRA's rule book calls for. The sliders on the MR2's seats don't really lend themselves to a GTO installation. But I traded the sweat for a good price on the seats. They have been very comfortable. The backs lean forward to allow access to the back seat. I installed swing out cross bar on the hoop to allow easier access to the back seat.

v7guy
11-10-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm trying really hard not to be abrasive here. With that said please read and do a search.

It's been talked about many times over that a cage and back seat passengers do not mix, even with a removeable crossbar. I would presume that anyone that would hop in the back seat would be someone you would like to see get back out of it. On top of it, without careful layout of the cage, a car with a cage shouldn't have adj seats in it. In a wreck the adj mechanism could, and does snap throwing the seat back. You can imagine what happens when your headrest and neck violently impacts the crossbar. It's why many org don't allow a combination of reclining seats and cages. I deally a composite seat is the ticket as it apparently absorbs the impact a bit before it reaches your body. an aluminum seat is the next best from what I understand. But most of us should be looking at a fixed seat with the power we are building to.

71dusterdan
12-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Well i kinda came to my own conclusion that my ebay ricer seats were wrong for the job with there sliding tracks and recliner.Any of you engineering types guide me. The plan has been to mount them to the cage from the bottom and then have my harnesses hold the seat backs to the crossbar. Would that make them safe enough or do I just invest in the kirkey/corbeau As always with my car funtion is first and i do intend to abuse in such a manner that a wreck is a foregone conclusion. Thanks

v7guy
12-18-2006, 01:45 PM
there are a couple fo manufacturers that build aluminum seats, one is kirkey the other is Ultrashield... both havea good rep. those are the cheap solutions. Composite seats are more. I can tell you from personal expirence. Sit in the seat first. You are going to spend some time in it and you want to make sure your comfortable. Not all seats are comfortable...but some are, even the fixed back ones, to further complicate things everyones tastes are different.

Twin_Turbo
01-27-2007, 10:36 AM
I installed 2 kirkey ultra light layback seats today. They are very comfy but getting in and out is a lot more difficult. Not that big a problem for me, don't really are and the steering wheel is removable but still..

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/01/kirkey1-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/01/kirkey2-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/01/kirkey3-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/01/kirkey4-1.jpg

Gordz32
01-27-2007, 11:18 AM
By the way, your car is sick but.... Were's the flux capacitor? Sorry, I had to Ask! Looks great!

Stu Seitz
01-27-2007, 11:34 AM
I installed 2 kirkey ultra light layback seats today. They are very comfy but getting in and out is a lot more difficult. Not that big a problem for me, don't really are and the steering wheel is removable but still..

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/01/kirkey1-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/01/kirkey2-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/01/kirkey3-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/01/kirkey4-1.jpg

In a crash I would be a little leery about those Kirkly seats because there is no upper body support; example shoulders or head. So the only this slowing you’re lateral acceleration in a side impact crash is your ribs.

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned Racetech http://www.racetechseatsna.com/start.html (http://www.racetechseatsna.com/start.html). I’m running the 4009hr, while Racetech seats are a little pricey I believe they are well worth it being that they are a safety device. Also all there seats are HANS compatible

Twin_Turbo
01-27-2007, 11:40 AM
what do you mean no upper body support? these have more support than just about any other seat on the markey and I have a 5pnt harness to go with them. What seat supports you above the armpit area?? I don't know of any apart from a full containment seat. And even if the seat had some kind of support in the shoulder area, they will never fit in a cramped car like a c3 corvette.

Stu Seitz
01-27-2007, 11:50 AM
what do you mean no upper body support? these have more support than just about any other seat on the markey and I have a 5pnt harness to go with them. What seat supports you above the armpit area?? I don't know of any apart from a full containment seat. And even if the seat had some kind of support in the shoulder area, they will never fit in a cramped car like a c3 corvette.

The lower one comes in the Viper comp coup. If it can fit in a caged viper it most likely will fit in anything.

Twin_Turbo
01-27-2007, 12:47 PM
yes, those enclosure seats don't fit inside a C3 corvette...there's no room at all.. The viper is much roomier than a c3 vette

DarKnight
02-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Do the reclining seats use mechanisms that are better or stronger that a stock seat of todays standards?

DarKnight
02-27-2007, 02:20 PM
i'm talking for a daily driver with no plans of racing and no cage inside, of course

MalteseFalcon
03-11-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm going to be using these - Corbeau GT-8's, no longer made - with a 5 point Corbeau harness and a Hooker / VSE roll bar. A little vintage, but suit the purpose of my project. They definitely require the driver and passenger to maintain their weight at the healthy end of the spectrum.