PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have anything anodized?

Rocko71
01-04-2006, 05:08 AM
I have been wondering about this for a while, and I figured I could find the answer here. About how much does this cost? Does the aluminum have to be polished already for the anodizing to look right? School me, I know nothing about it. How does it work, what do I need to do to get my parts ready? Finally cost. I guess thats the big issue. Any information is much appreciated.

parsonsj
01-04-2006, 05:24 AM
I've had hundreds of parts anodized over the past few months. I pay $20 for stripping, and $75 for anodizing. The quantity doesn't matter much if it fits in the tank.

Polishing prior to anodizing is recommended. Even if you only do a "sorta" polish with 400 sandpaper followed by polishing compound. Getting rid of the machining and mill marks really improves the look.

Usually anodizing shops work at the manufacturing level, meaning you and your parts are the last priority, especially if you want any kind of different color. I tried for a gray anodize once, and it came out pink. Since then, I do all my anodizing in black or clear.

If you can find an anodizing shop that works with hot-rodders, that is a big plus.

Good luck!
jp

Rocko71
01-04-2006, 05:37 AM
Thanks alot! One more thing- how durable is this stuff? Would it hold up under a car?

jakespeeds
01-04-2006, 05:58 AM
I get a lot of stuff anodized everyday. Its not going to hold up for long under a car. Its not like powdercoating and it will chip and scratch. Even if you get it sealed right after anodizing. If it is a good job it will hold up under wear and temp changes but if it comes in contact with rocks, gravel, sand or any of the other typical stuff on the road it won't take it long to scratch.

Rocko71
01-04-2006, 06:03 AM
Oh, ok. thats all I needed to know. Thanks for the info, guys.