PDA

View Full Version : Delrin bushings--

dennis68
09-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Does anybody know if there is another company out there besides Global West making delrin bushings (DSE doesn't count, they are F body only for now). I need a set of lower bushings. I found a company making them for oval holes only, they don't have them for the round arms. I could make my own or pay a shop to build a custom set, but I'd rather be able to buy them from somebody. GW is soooo backed up and their shipping times are outrageous (3-6 weeks).

TitoJones
09-24-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm having the same issue. I need a set of delrin and aluminum bushings for a C5 Corvette. GW said they have never made a set, nor will they try to do a one off for me. I need some other source now.

Tyler

Matt@RFR
09-24-2004, 05:27 PM
If you guys can give me dimensions I can make them for you.

David Pozzi
09-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Dennis68
Check with AFCO, they make circle track bushings that should fit. They have steel and Glass reinforced (lightweight) versions. The glass bushings look like the DSE bushings in photos, don't know if they are.
You can allways bore out a steel bushing and make a delrin liner...
David

dennis68
09-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Update-----67-72 Camaros use the same LCA bushings as 67-72 A bodies with round bushings. Thanks for reminding me about AFCO David, they are nylon lined. Also, anybody interested in delrin bushings for oval bushing A bodies-this guy (http://www.4raceparts.com/Other/chevelle_oval_lower_control_arm.htm) has them. I'm sure could make some up too if he was provided the nesessary specs. Thanks to all.

David Pozzi
09-25-2004, 07:22 PM
A guy posted on Team Camaro suspension forum that he bought the AFCO "lightweight" bushings for his first gen Camaro, he said they were "glass" ( I assume fiberglass) reinforced Nylon. I was not remembering the Nylon part, but I remembered they has Fiberglass in them.
David

dennis68
09-25-2004, 10:32 PM
This brings up an intersesting idea, how much difference is there between the F body, X body and A body LCA from that era? Anybody have a set from each car they can compare. If the bushings interchange I wonder how different they are.

Lowend
09-26-2004, 07:01 AM
No luck eh Tito -

I just want to note here, you are looking for Del-A-Lum bushings that would be an aluminum bushing with delrin sleeve.
A Delrin bushing is something different; plastic, more like polyurethane

I know that for a lot of years VSE was offering Aluminum bushings with Nylon inserts. You may try them in Carmel Valley, CA

David Pozzi
09-26-2004, 11:19 AM
VSE bushings used a Thompson Nyliner bushing inside a housing that I think was steel. The Nyliner is pretty thin, but if kept greased had good life according to Herb Adams.

"Acetal" is the plastic material's true name, Delrin is one manufacturer's brand name. Look up Acetal on the net for more info on it.

Lowend brings up a good point, the Del-A-Lum bushing has a steel inner sleeve and aluminum outer housing, the housing and Delrin bushing have a LOT of grooves and holes in them to distribute grease, ST has some, I don't know about the others.
David

dennis68
10-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Hey David, thanks again for the AFCO reminder. I posted that very tip on the old board, must be old age. Anyway, I got my AFCO LW design bushings, the liner is plenty thick (about .500"). I should have snapped a shot by themselves but here is a close up installed in the arms.AFCO bushing (http://www.jackazzmotorsports.com/images/lcabushings.jpg)

David Pozzi
10-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Thanks for posting the photo.
I assume they have gease fittings, is there anything to take F/R thrust? The Del-A-Lum have delrin washers on each side of the bushing against the frame.
Any grease grooves inside the bushing?
David

dennis68
10-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Yes, there is a grease fitting, there is a huge cavity right in the middle of the liner for a nice amount of grease to collect. The insert is longer than the shell, the theory is the frame pocket will never be in contact with anything but the shell so there is no need for any kind of thrust. I like the fact that they are steel shells and not a press fit. It made it real easy to set the grease fittings exactly where I wanted and then weld them in place. Also works as reinforcement at that "weak" spot in the arms.