PDA

View Full Version : Different Style Twin Turbos

D Rock
01-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Hey guys,

I see this kind of diesel setup for twin turbos. What are the differences between a regular turbo setup(benefits/downsides).

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

For those of you that are having a hard time figuring out what is going on, the exhaust outlet of one turbo is feeding the other, pretty much it is piggybacking off of the other turbo.

Thanks guys,

Derek

ProStreet R/T
01-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Compounding turbos like that, where they feed off of and into each other is only for making SERIOUS boost pressures. Your talking 80-200 psi easy, and it's completely not needed on a street car.

Matt
01-02-2006, 07:37 PM
IMO that's flat out dumb. If you need that kind of boost and what not you should do a super turbo (blower/turbo combo) You're choking it out, creating more back pressure, unneeded plumbing... damn.. so many things.

ProStreet R/T
01-02-2006, 07:46 PM
IMO that's flat out dumb. If you need that kind of boost and what not you should do a super turbo (blower/turbo combo) You're choking it out, creating more back pressure, unneeded plumbing... damn.. so many things.

Problem is running that much boost through a pos displacement blower creates a TON of heat and gets very very inefficient. That is not something you run on a gas motor, it's all diesel stuff. And while it does create backpressure the ratio between backpressure and inlet pressure is right inline with what it would be on a regular single. Thus why cam overlap and timing is SOO critical with big boost turbo motors.

To make 150psi with a big roots blower would eat 600hp at least, that and finding a blower to feed a monster diesel is difficult at best. Not to mention it would weigh a ton and you'd always have belt issues.

Look at all the big tractor diesels, all turbo, competition diesel tractor pullers, all compounded turbos. And they do blow the blocks apart from time to time.

protour_chevelle
01-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Diesel performance is just way too cool. Compounding turbos... Thats like I don't know. It's like... Well if one chick is fun, another one is even more fun :)

-Matt

Matt
01-03-2006, 05:44 AM
Sorry, I guess at the effed up hours I was reading this I missed the diesel part. The Super-Turbo thing was from my reading about the group B rally cars of the 80's

justforfun
01-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Look at the wastegate on the smaller turbo. When the pressure goes up the wastegate opens to let the exhaust bypass the first turbo. So at the high end only the larger turbo is used. Think of it like switching between a small to large turbo as required.

This is a cummins diesel B series 5.9L (Dodge Ram) so 50psi is higher than normal, but not crazy.

79TransAm
01-04-2006, 06:30 PM
i think i messed myself.

my72vette454
01-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Seems like some of the tractor puller guys run 200 lbs boost. I saw a 3 stage setup on a john deere tractor, it had a tuned header and 3 turbos in series. You couldnt hardly see the engine for all the tubing.