PDA

View Full Version : Need New exhaust for 69 camaro?

cakneller
09-24-2004, 03:53 PM
I have a 69 camaro with a 383/turbo350/3.73rear that I've been driving
more often lately and I've come to the realization that exhaust is
really too loud! At least until I get a OD trans in it.
It has hooker comp headers into 2.5" hpipe, flowmaster
3chamber and exit down behind the rear wheels. The noise level while highway driving (65mph up;) inside is pretty loud, that after 30 min of driving my hearing is ringing a little. It really sounds tough though.
I am considering changing to x-pipe with dynomax ultra-flows and stock exit. I want to get a madrel bent system and would love recomendations. Does anyone have a pro or con on this situation, I've read the other posts
and the Pypes system looks good. Also, anyone have a stock exit tailpipe
they like?

thanks,
chris
p.s. I attached a recent pic from the dyno ;)

chevymike
09-27-2004, 07:21 AM
That sounds like what I just did. I have Thorley header, 2.5" tubing, X-pipe into a pair of Dynomax UltraFlo SS mufflers exit out at the back. So far it sounds great. I haven't done any sound proofing or carpet install yet, which should help a lot. Pics can be found on my site (link in sig.)

jonny51
09-27-2004, 07:27 AM
http://www.dynamat.com/ try this stuff

Scroll down to see install pics http://www.detroitspeed.com/ElmersPage10.html

How did the car do on the dyno?

blazer4corners
09-27-2004, 12:20 PM
just changing the exit location will help let alone x-pipe and different mufflers.

cakneller
09-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Mike whose x-pipe did you use?
also, how's the interior noise level? and overall sound of the dynomax mufflers?
p.s. your site is great! thanks!

The 383 pulled 322hp at the rear wheels.

JL8Jeff
09-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Get the tailpipes exiting straight out the back and it will help a lot. I went with the Pypes 2.5" tailpipes and Hooker Aerochamber mufflers and it's really pretty quiet at cruising speeds. Get into the gas and it opens up nicely. I didn't go with the x-pipe and that might have quieted it down even a little more.

chevymike
09-28-2004, 11:46 AM
cakneller: I am not sure what brand was used. I have seen them before but for the life of me can't remember the name. :dunno:

Interior noise is not bad but I haven't installed any sound deadner or my carpet yet. Cruise is nice and when you get on it, you know something is there. Much better overall then the Flowmasters I have used in the past. Overall, I am happy with my choice. Good luck.

CarlC
09-28-2004, 02:05 PM
I have the Dr. Gas X pipe, 3" through the Dynomax Super Turbos, and 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipes exiting out the back.

I agree that having the tailpipe exit out the back of the car will help a bunch. Flowmaster makes a set of 2.5" mandrel bent pipes for 1st gens that can be found for around $100. Not only will they help lower the sound level, they will also help cut down on the amount of exhaust coming back into the car and reduce the amount of dust/dirt blown up. Though I liked the look of the exhaust exiting just behind the rear tire the exits acted like big leaf blowers and would blow dust and dirt all over the car when backing up.

If the current exhaust setup is not mandrel bent you may want to consider either a kit (Flowmaster, Pipes, Torque Tech, etc). From the cars I've seen that have come out of Chino Valley muffler I would not hesitate to have those guys do the whole enchilada, plus they are just down the road from Westech. Like any shop, be sure to spell out exactly what you want.

An overdrive transmission will greatly reduce the noise level as well.

Given your HP ratings and your engine output a 2.5" mandrel bent system with either a Dynomax Super Turbo or Ultraflo should work fine. If top end performance is the goal, go Ultraflo since the Super Turbo in the 2.5-3" ranges (small case, not the Super Suitcase 5 1/2" thick model) have a step-down just inside of the inlet down to around 2". Ultraflo's are rated very high on the HP scale. Ratings are listed on the Dynomax website.

If the headers have a 3" collector then you will need a smooth transition reducer to 2.5" (Flowmaster makes these as well.) Many muffler shops just hack something up and butcher the job. I too have heard good things about Aerochambers but have not heard an installed set.

Nice car, and nice numbers. 17" VWW?

Rick Dorion
09-29-2004, 03:47 AM
I have 3" collectors and used a Dr. Gas 3" in/2.5" out that goes into Magnaflows with the Flowmaster tailpipes Carl mentions. However, I cut mine so they point down behind the rear wheel opening - my preference. The system has a nice sound, not too loud until you mash it. I'm very pleased.

cakneller
09-29-2004, 12:32 PM
thanks for all the info!!
now I've just got to price it out$$$ ;)

carl, yah they're VWW 17"s

ProdigyCustoms
09-30-2004, 07:09 AM
X pipe alone can be worth 6 DBs. We have tried it a couple times with before and after testing with a meter, and at idle, standing behind the car we have got 5 and 6 DBs better with just the X pipe.

cakneller
09-30-2004, 09:47 AM
did you compare that with an H-pipe?
Also, is there a significant gain by going from an H-pipe to an X?