PDA

View Full Version : Will making my Original Z pro-touring decrease it's value????

lftnwhls
01-02-2006, 01:16 PM
I have a mostly #'s matching 1969Z with the 302 and muncie.

The car has just 42000 original miles on it.

My question is when I do a repaint will it hurt the value of the car if I change the colour and add bigger wheels and brakes.

I know how much a complete proper resto can bring.

rocketrod
01-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Personally I would not modify a numbers matching Z. The money you can pull with one is crazy. I would keep the Z original and find another car and go the PT route. Just my my opinion.

Bill Howell
01-02-2006, 03:24 PM
No, do not Protour that car. It is worth too much as is. If you are interested in selling, pm me. You really need a regular ole garden variety car to redo into a protouring car.

BobK
01-02-2006, 04:10 PM
If you're going to modify it, make sure whatever you do is easily reversible- no cutting, welding, etc. Brakes and wheels aren't a big deal, as long as you keep all of the pieces you take off so they can be put back on later.

I wouldn't change the color- the value will definitely be decreased. In fact, unless you can afford to do a total stripdown of the car and do a proper prep and paint job, I'd leave the body just as it is. Half-azzed repaints will lower the value too- even in the original color.

Bob

Neil B
01-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Here's my original '69Z. I drew the line on mods at bolt-ons. My car has aftermarket wheels/tires, springs, shocks, aluminum heads, MSD distributor, cam, headers and exhaust. Absolutely no cutting or welding done to the car. If I ever sell, it will go back to stock.

I began building a nasty 377ci motor for it, but decided to buy another car for that motor. I was concerned about twisting up the body and I did not want to weld in subframe connectors.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Flyboy
01-04-2006, 03:44 AM
While I can't believe you even have to ask that question... If you cut up an all original numbers matching `69 Z28 302/muncie car with only 42,000 on the clock for your pro-touring project i'll cry... :crying: :getout:

...well, not really, but it would be a DAMN shame to see you do that to that car. KEEP IT ORIGINAL!!!

jannes_z-28
01-04-2006, 07:14 AM
We have the famous quote: "Anybody can restore an old car but it takes a man to cut one up." :evil:

I have a '69 Z that I have done some cutting to so it would handle better. I have no problem with that, I am not going to sell the car, ever!!

Some people have complained to me about this and I understand them.

In your case I would NOT do it.

For me it was different, the 302 and M20 was long gone, otherwise it was original except that it has a ZL2 hood. So for me it would be hard and expensive to find all the parts to restore it but it wouldn't be #-matching. And there are quite a few restored/original Z's out there. But a PT Z/28 is very rare.

To make it even worse for the Camarofundamentalists I am now putting in a LS1/T56 in it.

So as other have advised, keep the Z and get something else to build a PT car from. OR make it only with Bolt-On parts so you can get it back again to original.

It will be less worth if you make it PT, but insurance wise you have to have a high value due to the cost of all parts you have to buy.

Jan

BonzoHansen
01-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Will making my Original Z pro-touring decrease it's value???? Yes.

4MuscleMachines
01-04-2006, 10:35 PM
IF you change the color of the paint code, yes.

If you pro-tour by bolting on mods, IMO speaking from experience, not all the time. I have never been afraid to mod a nice numbers matching drivetrain car to make it drive better and enjoyed more. Two years ago , I took a nice numbers matching 69 Z28 and put the full global west front/rear suspension, 13" baers, headers, exhaust, ect. I dropped in a ZZ383 crate engine (original engine on stand) and some nice Recaros. I sold it on eBay for almost $70k back when nice numbers matching Z's were closing in mid $30k-45k range. If your car is only numbers matching drivetrain, you can do it.

I also have a 70 Boss 302 and 71 Boss 351 numbers matching and have done the same thing and I have been offered good money for them (more than invested). There ARE people out there willing to pay a premium if the mods are tastefully done and bolt on. They just have to be done right and the parts carefully chosen so that the car is truly more enjoyable, well sorted out, and improves performance.

I have personally seen many sales of modded cars go for more than matching numbers stock cars would.

If your car is only numbers matching drivetrain, you can do it.
Just don't PT/mod a low mileage, 95% original garage queen that has all the correct small parts/brackets, distributor, car, ect. as well.

BobK
01-05-2006, 03:27 AM
I also have a 70 Boss 302 and 71 Boss 351 numbers matching and have done the same thing and I have been offered good money for them (more than invested).

I'm not really up on Fords, but I had heard that early mustangs didn't have the VIN stamped onto the motor, so there was no way to tell if the car was truly "numbers matching". You could tell if it had the right size motor for what the VIN tag said it should have, but not if it was the actual motor that came down the assembly line. Is that true?

Bob

4MuscleMachines
01-05-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm not really up on Fords, but I had heard that early mustangs didn't have the VIN stamped onto the motor, so there was no way to tell if the car was truly "numbers matching". You could tell if it had the right size motor for what the VIN tag said it should have, but not if it was the actual motor that came down the assembly line. Is that true?
Bob

That is true, I should have stated "production numbers matching". You can get a Marti report and see the date of production for your car and reasonalby determine if you have original drivetrain by lookup up the production date codes. Like I said, unless its a concours car, you can do it!:smoke:

lftnwhls
01-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. So far everything I have done has been without drilling or hurting the car so I can put it all back oneday. I plan on keeping the car for myself so I probaly will do the big brakes and wheels. I really want to do a MEGA resto on this car because it is so good to start with. The underbody is as clean as on top.

cad
01-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Watch Barrett-Jackson next week and then decide how far to go.
Last year, I think it was Ressler (yellow, orange, blue, green coat guy) that sold the 4 Z28s in a row for something like 60k each, and the yellow for 90k.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/resultsbylot.asp?auctionid=51&page=10

lftnwhls
01-09-2006, 04:50 PM
I plan on watching the Barret. I am curious to see the prices.

I think the market is going down somewhat.

I have talked to many performance shops and restoration shops that say things are slowing down.

dropit69
01-17-2006, 09:25 PM
im in same boat with my 69 rs convertible..all my buddies tell me not to pt it..to buy a hardtop to do all that..so ive still not made up my mind ..i also wanna change color so thatll kill it ..its not the origianl motor that hurts some but still only 16k odd convertibles built ..and have some cool options on mine too..id definatley not cut up a z..just my opinoin