PDA

View Full Version : Goodmark body panel install shop

JcGc
01-01-2006, 08:43 PM
I was thinking of taking my 69 camaro to the Goodmark body shop in Georgia to have the rusty body panels removed and replaced. Is it worth my time to trailer the car from Kentucky to Georgia, or does someone know of a shop closer that can do the same work?

Also what type of prep do I need to do to the car before it goes to a shop to have body panels replaced.

JMitch19
01-02-2006, 05:05 AM
There was a post awhile ago with someone saying not so good things about about them. Do a search you will find it. I was thinking of taking my car there untill I read the post.

BobK
01-02-2006, 05:27 AM
Read the conditions on their website- the prices look great at first, but they include virtually nothing. You've got to do all the prep work- take everything off that's in the way, etc., and you've got to do all of the grinding of the welds, filling, smoothing, etc. They basically cut out the old metal and weld in the new- the rest is up to you. If you're not able to do the rest of the finishing work yourself, you're going to have to find a local bodyshop anyway, so I'd just let them do the whole deal. If you ARE able to do the rest of the work, then you should be able to do the panel replacement as well (unless you need to replace the whole back of the car or something).

I can't comment on the quality of their work, but I can say that their rates work out to around $40/hour. For that kind of $$, even in rural Georgia, your car will be being worked on by a bunch of guys making around $10-12/hour- not what I would call "high-end bodymen"......

Bob

ProdigyCustoms
01-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Based on what I read in the other thread,

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12193&page=1

and what I have heard around the industry, your much better off making the pull the rest of the way to Orlando.

Johnny Blaze
01-02-2006, 09:43 AM
What part of kentucky are you in? I know of a few good shops in the louisville area.

JcGc
01-02-2006, 11:10 AM
I just got done reading the thread about Goodmark, I guess I won't be taking the car to them to have the body panels replaced.

I'm in Mayfield. It's 20 miles South of Paducah. I don't mind trailering the car to Louisville. I just need to get the panels replaced. The rust is driving me crazy. :seizure: Do any of these shops have web sites?

JoshC
01-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Yeah, the prices look good... until you get the car back...

I will finally get my car back, from shop #2 next week. I will update that original thread as to how goodmark handles my bill...

camarokid_i_am
05-29-2010, 07:38 AM
I have been in the restoration business for over 30 years and have a bit of input that may be useable here . I am in no way taking up for the quality of craftsmanship that I see here because I do think it was poorly done in my "professional" opinion BUT , we are only as good as the parts that are used and available to us . Goodmark parts ARE aftermarket parts that come from overseas and I don't care how good someone tells you they are OR if the GM Restoration stamp is on the box ...... THEY ARE NOT THE SAME FIT AND QUALITY AS FACTORY O.E.M. PARTS PEOPLE and I have faught getting aftermarket panels to fit for years now because that's all that's available in a lot of cases . I have litterally had to cut Goodmark panels in pieces and re-weld them to fit properly with acceptable gaps . 8K is NOT a lot of money if the job had been done CORRECTLY from all the panels that I see have been replaced . As someone mentioned , the work was probably performed by guys that are getting paid low wages or just don't give a sh%t about quality and have no pride in thier work which is what you will find in a lot of so-called restoration shops around the world . I have been labeled as slow as Hell at my facility BUT I have never had a customer pissed off when the final job was all said and done ! I have found that having them pissed on the amount of time it took is far better than having them pissed for a crappy job which will haunt you forever ! Shops are only as good as thier help . You can have an owner / hands-on worker such as myself that has never given up his paint gun to anyone that is anal about what leaves his shop but you are still only one man in what is supposed to be a good TEAM EFFORT by all involved INCLUDING the customer being part of the team ! It's not all about the money customers to guys like us , a pat on the back during the process goes a LONG way in a bodyshop when you have guys that are actually artist at what they do . Would I be pissed at this job ??? Damn skippy I would be ! But I also wouldn't lay ALL the blame on the shop as far as parts not fitting correctly . They should have addressed the issue with Goodmark and sent back the panels with problems or at least been paid to fix what wasn't thier fault . Leaving rust was just piss poor craftmanship .... PERIOD . Not using the Weld-Through Primer was also a HUGE mistake !!!!! I am in South Texas and can be reached at [email protected] to answer any restoration questions free of charge and I enjoy teaching those that don't know . Hope I helped somewhat . Jerry

200horse
05-30-2010, 03:02 PM
What part of kentucky are you in? I know of a few good shops in the louisville area.

who are the good shops in Louisville? I lived there a few years and had a shop before selling it and I do not know of many good ones

greycamaro
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
some of this could be handled on the front of the sale. Not to hsow up and have a junk job for the money and then blame it on the parts. he didn't make the deal with the employes he made it with the owner. Just another hack job shop.
I have been in the restoration business for over 30 years and have a bit of input that may be useable here . I am in no way taking up for the quality of craftsmanship that I see here because I do think it was poorly done in my "professional" opinion BUT , we are only as good as the parts that are used and available to us . Goodmark parts ARE aftermarket parts that come from overseas and I don't care how good someone tells you they are OR if the GM Restoration stamp is on the box ...... THEY ARE NOT THE SAME FIT AND QUALITY AS FACTORY O.E.M. PARTS PEOPLE and I have faught getting aftermarket panels to fit for years now because that's all that's available in a lot of cases . I have litterally had to cut Goodmark panels in pieces and re-weld them to fit properly with acceptable gaps . 8K is NOT a lot of money if the job had been done CORRECTLY from all the panels that I see have been replaced . As someone mentioned , the work was probably performed by guys that are getting paid low wages or just don't give a sh%t about quality and have no pride in thier work which is what you will find in a lot of so-called restoration shops around the world . I have been labeled as slow as Hell at my facility BUT I have never had a customer pissed off when the final job was all said and done ! I have found that having them pissed on the amount of time it took is far better than having them pissed for a crappy job which will haunt you forever ! Shops are only as good as thier help . You can have an owner / hands-on worker such as myself that has never given up his paint gun to anyone that is anal about what leaves his shop but you are still only one man in what is supposed to be a good TEAM EFFORT by all involved INCLUDING the customer being part of the team ! It's not all about the money customers to guys like us , a pat on the back during the process goes a LONG way in a bodyshop when you have guys that are actually artist at what they do . Would I be pissed at this job ??? Damn skippy I would be ! But I also wouldn't lay ALL the blame on the shop as far as parts not fitting correctly . They should have addressed the issue with Goodmark and sent back the panels with problems or at least been paid to fix what wasn't thier fault . Leaving rust was just piss poor craftmanship .... PERIOD . Not using the Weld-Through Primer was also a HUGE mistake !!!!! I am in South Texas and can be reached at [email protected] to answer any restoration questions free of charge and I enjoy teaching those that don't know . Hope I helped somewhat . Jerry

PRRC
06-18-2010, 09:22 AM
We are pretty close to you. We would be happy to help you installing the panels you need. You can check our web site or facebook page for referances to our workmanship. or we will be happy to provide you with past customer contacts if you would like to talk to our customer base. If you are interested in bringing the car to us. Just give us a call so we can schedule you in.
Jim

Rhino
06-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Jerry, you bring up valid points, however I would point out that OEM panels have been out of production for decades. The NOS panels that are left today were yesteryear's seconds. The repop panels you'll find today do need work, but it's not going to be much more than what would be required of NOS.

Granted, it's not my profession, but I have done both installs. The newer repop panels are much better than those of even a few years ago.

raustinss
06-21-2010, 08:45 AM
NO ........;run away from everything ive heard its better (maybe only slighty) to go to maaco. any other competent body shop could and would do it for you