PDA

View Full Version : Year One Event at Road Atlanta

Bill Howell
12-31-2005, 05:20 PM
Ok guys, it is not too early to start making plans for this year's event. It conflicts with another local event but I am going to go down for the festivities Saturday and Sunday. I have been able to find a hotel with several rooms left. It is near the Road Atlanta track and is $99 a night if you tell them you are there for the event. It is a Best Western and the number is 706.654.3081.
Thanks again Brent for helping me secure the reservations.

Bob Johnson
12-31-2005, 07:02 PM
Ok guys, it is not too early to start making plans for this year's event. It conflicts with another local event but I am going to go down for the festivities Saturday and Sunday. I have been able to find a hotel with several rooms left. It is near the Road Atlanta track and is $99 a night if you tell them you are there for the event. It is a Best Western and the number is 706.654.3081.
Thanks again Brent for helping me secure the reservations.
All these motels are within a 10 minutes of Road Atlanta...there are lots more in Commerce, Buford,Gainesville,Jefferson,Flowery Branch etc.
Comfort Inn I-85 @exit 137 800-228-5150 706-693-4582
Comfort Inn I-985 @Hwy 53 770-287-1000
Country Inn I-985 @53 770-535-8080
Jameson Inn I-985 @ 53 770-533-9400
The above are all decent moderately priced motels..very close by..I'm sure Year-One has a handle on many others including some nice bed and breakfast Inns that some of your wives would like. Big Outlet mall @ Commerce lots of Factory Stores..Also Mall of Ga. which is one of the largest malls around here is a short drive away. Atlanta and Buckhead is only 35 minutes away..

Bill Howell
12-31-2005, 07:08 PM
Atlanta and Buckhead is only 35 minutes away..

Oh man, Houstons in Buckhead is one of my favorite places to eat. Maybe Saturday night we can make a side trip down there, and maybe acouple other "hot spots".

Bob Johnson
12-31-2005, 07:15 PM
All these motels are within a 10 minutes of Road Atlanta...there are lots more in Commerce, Buford,Gainesville,Jefferson,Flowery Branch etc.
Comfort Inn I-85 @exit 137 800-228-5150 706-693-4582
Comfort Inn I-985 @Hwy 53 770-287-1000
Country Inn I-985 @53 770-535-8080
Jameson Inn I-985 @ 53 770-533-9400
The above are all decent moderately priced motels..very close by..I'm sure Year-One has a handle on many others including some nice bed and breakfast Inns that some of your wives would like. Big Outlet mall @ Commerce lots of Factory Stores..Also Mall of Ga. which is one of the largest malls around here is a short drive away. Atlanta and Buckhead is only 35 minutes away..

Bob Johnson
12-31-2005, 07:19 PM
Oh man, Houstons in Buckhead is one of my favorite places to eat. Maybe Saturday night we can make a side trip down there, and maybe acouple other "hot spots".
there are 3 Houstons in Buckhead and one in Dunwoody which is a little closer by..It's off I-285 Ashford Dunwoody Road Tons of very nice Restaurants there and in Sandy Springs..2 exits down... Roswell Rd....I-85 @ Pleasant Hill has lots of restaurants as does Hwy 20 off I-85..tons of good places within 15-25 minutes.. :drool:

Bill Howell
12-31-2005, 07:25 PM
It has been awhile since I ate there, I am talking about the one on the corner, across from Lennox Mall. There is another over near I-75 at Northside-right.

BTW it looks like you are like me, know where all the good eating is. Fat boys always know.....lol

Bob Johnson
12-31-2005, 07:31 PM
good friend of mine, Vic Branstetter is one of the two owners of Houstons..it's privately held..about 50 locations now..Vic is the biggest car nut I know..well maybe not bigger than Poteet..but Vic likes new exotics..buys about 1 every 2 or 3 weeks..like an addiction..he's had them all..now lives in Santa Monica,Calif. Used to live here in Brookhaven..when they had about 7 or so restaurants..They also own Banderas and a seafood one I think is Gulfstream. if you're in California try them.Banderas is also in Scottsdale.Houstons is the best run most consistant restaurant chain you will ever eat at.

69rs
12-31-2005, 09:12 PM

Wherever you are eating, I want to be there, Tip!! I mean, uh, Bill.

protouring70
01-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey Bill, you are more than welcome. Just let me know if I can help with any thing else.
Oh, by the way, my wife said if you decide to go eat at Houston's, My wife is ready to go! We haven't eaten there in a long time but it was deliciuos! That might be something good to do.

Brent

Bob Johnson
01-01-2006, 02:44 PM
It has been awhile since I ate there, I am talking about the one on the corner, across from Lennox Mall. There is another over near I-75 at Northside-right.

BTW it looks like you are like me, know where all the good eating is. Fat boys always know.....lol
I-75 just north of West Paces Ferry..one on Peachtree Rd between Buckhead and Piedmont Hospital..the one @ Lennox is still there..not any difference..they run a tight ship..very consistent store to store..Atlanta has grown into a cosmopolitan City. I remember when there weren't 5 decent restaurants in this town..now there's hundreds. Man I love a good meal..love oriental..especially Thai and Malasian..lots of good oriental and Mexican restaurants on Buford Hwy just off 285 near I-85 good but very inexpensive too..Best Restaurants in town are Bachanalia and Seegers..got to make a reservation early if you want to go. The Grand Dining Room @ Ritz Carlton was one of the best..not sure now..The Chef left and I don't know how the new one is..Seeger was the chef there a long time ago..They're a mite expensive..Those Brazilian Steak Houses.like Fogo de Chao are great if you eat like a hog..one price.. all you can eat..it's good and well worth the money if you're a big eater

69rs
01-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Hey Bill, you are more than welcome. Just let me know if I can help with any thing else.
Oh, by the way, my wife said if you decide to go eat at Houston's, My wife is ready to go! We haven't eaten there in a long time but it was deliciuos! That might be something good to do.

Brent

Tell your wife not to expect to get her food until after Tip has finished his meal! You know I love ya, Billy!

Bill Howell
01-01-2006, 03:15 PM

Brent

Let's just plan on it! This may be what it takes to get Melinda to come too. She will always go there for supper. lol
Maybe we could get a head count going and make some reservations.
Jim, come on, you still have a lot to learn about how to get good service.
Bob, you are right, so many great places now, what is a fat boy to do.lol

I can not believe it. I have managed to highjack my own event thread into a dinner party. I really gotta look into Eaters Anonymous.........

vintageracer
01-01-2006, 04:55 PM
The "Original" Houston's just closed in Nashville in early December. Original as in the first one anywhere. It has been an institution on West End for over 30 years. By far THE BEST chain eatery anywhere. Consistant food and service are a haulmark of this chain.

The property is being re-developed into another overpriced chain eatery!

parsonsj
01-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Ah yes, Houston's.

I ought to remember more about it, but the one here in Rockville MD serves generous drinks (especially when the girl you're with knows some of the staff).

I can put in a strong "maybe" but can't commit since my whole spring is up in the air with a possible move to the Orlando area.

jp

ProdigyCustoms
01-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Is Houston's a steak house? A little upper end? If so, we have one here in Winter Park

Jagarang
01-06-2006, 05:25 AM
....after paying $17 for SPINACH DIP at Houstons here in Miami, I just can't go back. They actually had the cojones to garnish it with parsley before serving it!!

Bob Johnson
01-06-2006, 05:41 AM
....after paying $17 for SPINACH DIP at Houstons here in Miami, I just can't go back. They actually had the cojones to garnish it with parsley before serving it!!
how much dip did they give you though..They originated the artichoke/spinach dip I think..servings are unusually large..nearly always enough for two on everything they serve

Bob Johnson
01-06-2006, 05:53 AM
Is Houston's a steak house? A little upper end? If so, we have one here in Winter Park
I wouldn't call it a steak house..It's white table cloth but not formal. They do have good steak but it's by no means a signature item. They have great ribs, ahi tuna, crab cakes,monster salads, great chicken, ..Very nice upper class casual..they're per store sales are tops in the industry.

68ls1wannabe
01-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Exactly what day is this event scheduled for?

Jagarang
01-18-2006, 05:19 AM
how much dip did they give you though..They originated the artichoke/spinach dip I think..servings are unusually large..nearly always enough for two on everything they serve

I just think thats gotta cover alot more artichokes and spinach. There making a killing at $17. Enough of a serving for 3 as I recall.

Enough for two would make it 8.50 each.....not such a "bargain" in my book. I can get all I can eat beef, pork, and ribs with a soda, fries and beans at the local Sonnys BBQ or Scrubys BBQ for 8.50.

eldogg
01-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Anyone who knows Bob Johnson knows he loves to eat!!!!!!!!!!
Eldogg
Queen City Speed & Redline Automotive

69rs
01-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Exactly what day is this event scheduled for?

It lasts all weekend. http://www.yearone.com/Events/TYOE/default.aspx