PDA

View Full Version : Original gone in 60 seconds

THX 138
12-31-2005, 01:08 PM
I never liked those 71-73s but now I think they have some potential. Maybe they need bigger wheels for the bigger body or something.

4MuscleMachines
12-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Never seen the original movie, but I hope you are referring to a Mustang.

Out of my five cars, the 71 351 Boss is my favorite. The body style really grows on you once you see those nice clean long lines that go up to the bullet rear. I handles very good, better than the 69 Camaro.

I agree with you on wheel size, these are 17's and I am contemplating some nice 18" wheels for it. BTW, these pics were taken yesterday in 70deg weather!

dropit69
12-31-2005, 03:03 PM
ithe original was on speed last night..oldy but a goody still..

PeteRR
12-31-2005, 03:42 PM
It made me sick to see all of the '69 + '70 4-door Belvederes and Coronets that were destroyed. And there isn't a stock '73 Mustang alive that could outrun a '69 big block b-body.

WS6
12-31-2005, 03:46 PM
yeah it was cool i had never seen it before but watched it on speed last night.

Restomod
12-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Maybe not a 73 but the B body better keep his eyes peeled for that Boss 351!!!!!!!!!!

PeteRR
12-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Boss 351!!!!!!!!!!

<cough>truck motor<cough> :twothumbs

4MuscleMachines
12-31-2005, 11:08 PM
The 400m's were the truck motors, this one for sure is not one! Like I said, the Boss 351 is my fav, faster than the 525hp LS6 Camaro since it is stroked. Rev it up to 7.5K and up goes it LOL! I just have a sentimental attachment to it, when I was in my teens I had a beat up 73 that used to trounce on Camaros and Cudas all the time.

:twothumbs BTW, happy New Years!

hotroddr
12-31-2005, 11:32 PM
Thats top five for sure of my all time favorite movies. Over 400 cars wrecked, if I remember correctly, and multiple real accidents that didnt get cut because they came out good without injuries. Check it out for the real driving without special effects on old school tires with no sway bars...yikes! Its a must see for sure!

vanzuuk1
01-01-2006, 04:54 AM
The more you watch that movie the more near misses you see, there is a scene where the cars all come at the camera and get air, the last two cars almost lose it at about 100 mph.

rkw1969
01-01-2006, 08:23 AM
what amazed me after finally watching is the speeds at which the cars are traveling. they are hauling everywhere. not like new movies with using computers to make a vehicle look like its running fast. just a good ole movie.

THX 138
01-01-2006, 11:04 AM
what amazed me after finally watching is the speeds at which the cars are traveling. they are hauling everywhere. not like new movies with using computers to make a vehicle look like its running fast. just a good ole movie.hmm? I think they sped up the film a new times but that might have been the Gumball Rally. I got that for christmas, but they did that in a LOT of old car movies.

southernfriedcj
01-01-2006, 11:34 AM
hmm? I think they sped up the film a new times but that might have been the Gumball Rally. I got that for christmas, but they did that in a LOT of old car movies.

I watched both movies this week. From what I saw it looked like they sped up the film in "Gone In 60 Seconds". "Gumball Rally" looked like it was filmed at speed.

Jim

vanzuuk1
01-01-2006, 02:00 PM
There were some shots that were "undercranked" (makes the image speed up) but there were also scenes where they were hauling ass.

The lights on the police car give it away , they are spinning too fast.

DeepBlue68
01-01-2006, 08:52 PM
4MuscleMachinesMan - are those Forgeline SO3P's on your '69? They look sick...I'd love to have a set myself

rkw1969
01-01-2006, 10:14 PM
not sure about speedin up the camera, didnt even think about that but if you look at how some of the cars bottom out on seemingly small dips and such makes me think they may be haulin a bit or the suspensions just really sucked back then. lol. i know my crown vic patrol vehicle takes alot to bottom it out and you have to be going pretty damn fast. :drive2: heck i need to watch it again.

Bill Howell
01-02-2006, 09:56 AM
not sure about speedin up the camera, didnt even think about that but if you look at how some of the cars bottom out on seemingly small dips and such makes me think they may be haulin a bit or the suspensions just really sucked back then. lol. i know my crown vic patrol vehicle takes alot to bottom it out and you have to be going pretty damn fast. :drive2: heck i need to watch it again.

I would say your patrol car is lightyears ahead of the cars in that movie. Regardless of what purist say, compared to today's standards, the suspension on those cars, even when new was junk. Shocks, tire choices, brakes...... man, it is a wonder more of us did not get killed.

Bob Johnson
01-02-2006, 01:06 PM

Out of my five cars, the 71 351 Boss is my favorite. The body style really grows on you once you see those nice clean long lines that go up to the bullet rear. I handles very good, better than the 69 Camaro.

I agree with you on wheel size, these are 17's and I am contemplating some nice 18" wheels for it. BTW, these pics were taken yesterday in 70deg weather!
I'm not quite as fond of the 71 & up looks wise, but that boss 351 is the baddest, best driving Mustang of them all. That 302 boss just didn't get enough velocity in the ports at low RPM due to the port size, but with that 11 plus to 1 compression and 351 inches it would boogie...blow the doors off the 429 mustang..same holds true for the 70 Camaro Z 28 with the 360 HP 350..knock the balls off a 69 Z and drove much better..trying to see out the side/rear on the 71 is pretty tricky

JohnnyGMachine
01-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Somebody actually built an Eleanor out of a 1971 Mustang and it looked pretty good. I can't remember which magazine it was featured in - I think Superrod. I found a for sale link of it below. It's got a 502 chevy in it. I mighta done some of the bodywork a little different but overall way cool for a '71 Stang. I think it has 18s in front and 20s out back.

Bigger wheels definately help the proportions of the "Knudsen-designed" mustangs.

http://www.ronsrestoration.com/1971_Mustang/71stang.htm

John

PeteRR
01-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Somebody actually built an Eleanor out of a 1971 Mustang and it looked pretty good. I can't remember which magazine it was featured in - I think Superrod. I found a for sale link of it below. It's got a 502 chevy in it. I mighta done some of the bodywork a little different but overall way cool for a '71 Stang. I think it has 18s in front and 20s out back.

Bigger wheels definately help the proportions of the "Knudsen-designed" mustangs.

John

1) The wrong color scheme and year for the original movie.

2) The wrong year for the remake.

3) A General Mayhem power plant.

No thanks. :screwy:

Jagarang
01-04-2006, 09:43 AM
It does look pretty good. Longer and leaner "looking" and they did a bunch of work on that car.

vanzuuk1
01-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Pete , it was supposed to be a what if car, not a replica of anything.

I wouldnt buy it but it was cool, built buy a young kid too.

Pete , do you autocross your car?

PeteRR
01-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Pete , it was supposed to be a what if car, not a replica of anything.

I wouldnt buy it but it was cool, built buy a young kid too.

Pete , do you autocross your car?

I did when I had time. I'm spending too much time on the road now.

vanzuuk1
01-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Pete , did you do the meadowlands events?

Did you do any new york events? Do you know anybody I could talk to that sis going to autocross next year?

If you decide to do any events, send me an email please.

PeteRR
01-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Pete , did you do the meadowlands events?

Did you do any new york events? Do you know anybody I could talk to that sis going to autocross next year?

If you decide to do any events, send me an email please.

I went to events at Atco Dragway with the S. Jersey chapter of the SCCA. I met the VP at a car show and he invited me to my 1st AX. I can give you his phone number if you want it. They are looking forward to the new Motorsports complex opening up in Millville in the future. They'll have their ax course there.

vanzuuk1
01-04-2006, 06:10 PM
A) where is millville?

B) pm me his number.

C) Thank you.

wantahertzdonut
01-05-2006, 09:24 AM
I'd love to get a 71-73 car, more so I'd like to put a targa roof on it. The big mustangs were heavy but man could you make them go like hell. 460's are right at home in there if you want, and the wide track and long wheelbase make them nice and stable. I'd love to find one for a daily cruiser.

Toby Halicki's Gone In 60 Seconds was the first DVD I owned and I never get tired of watching it. The acting is horrible which I think only adds to it. There's even a scene where Madrian (sp?) is walking down the street with his girlfriend and there's voices, but if you look at their faces they're not even opening their mouths!

The chase scene is great with surround sound at high volumes.

Maxoctane
01-06-2006, 01:40 AM
I've owned about 14 mustangs thus far but my first was a 73 coupe so I have a huge soft spot for the 71-73's.

Funny story, i was at the peterson museum with my gf (@ the time) and they have a wall of old movie posters, the original 'gone' being one of them. the guy standing next to us says to his girlfriend 'wow, i didnt know gone in 60 seconds was a remake'. i almost smacked him.

Please, everyone that reads this, buy the dvd and watch it over and over again. Immerse yourself in true car culture and be all the better for it. its only 20 bucks, you spend that much on 1 AN fitting.

vanzuuk1
01-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Almost as bas as "Wow, Mcartney was in a band before wings", which I heard a girl in a record store say.

wantahertzdonut
01-06-2006, 05:00 AM
Almost as bas as "Wow, Mcartney was in a band before wings", which I heard a girl in a record store say.

Wow, I think if my girlfriend heard that, she'd kill the girl! (gf is a huge Beatles fan)

Modmach1
01-09-2006, 09:36 AM

Do you have a better pic of the Mustang?

fvike
01-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Love the movie, Did you notice the roadblock he jumped in the end, actually is a '70 'Cuda wreck? Also, a nice '73(?) Charger is being wrecked by the garbage truck.

Here is a picture of the original Eleanor.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

THX 138
01-10-2006, 02:43 PM
I want a fallout shelter sign :D haha

BMF Machine
01-10-2006, 03:37 PM

Nice MACH, here is a pic of my brothers, he has had it for 20 years now. He is 34, him and Dad went and bought it for 3400 when Paul was 14. It had the lamo small heads and two barrell 351 cleveland in it. Now it has the big valve heads and a fogger, don't let the looks fool ya? NOS is BADa55. My Brother has maybe put 16,000 miles on it in twenty years. I would mini tub it and go for the 19-20 combo, My brother will leave it stock.

Kevin,
Different Strokes for Different folks!

Bob Johnson
01-10-2006, 04:30 PM

John
saw it at goodguys, columbus when my Camaro was in the final 5 for street machine of year. uglier than a mud fence...worst stance you ever saw..and to top it off a chev under the hood..