PDA

View Full Version : Center Exit Exhaust HELP! for 67 Chevelle

bowtieguys
12-31-2005, 11:15 AM
I've got a problem. I had a set of custom exhaust tips made for my 67 Chevelle. They are rectangular, and when set side by side, they are the exact width of my rear license plate indentation on the bumper. I set these under the car while it was being built and forgot 1 thing....I would have a gas tank going in there! I do not want a fuel cell, so we'll skip that idea. The exhaust tubing that I currently have will come over the rear axles and is 3" diameter. I would love any ideas to get these tips on a center exit style exhaust. Is there any really low profile tubing made that may be able to be bent to follow the lower angle of my gas tank? I just don't think the look of 2 3" round pipes hanging below a gas tank would be appealing. I really want this bad, so please, any ideas are greatly appreciated.

hotroddr
12-31-2005, 11:56 PM
a small gas tank or fuel cell on either side of your exhaust might work with a dual tank valve to switch between the tanks, or a fuel pump to pump from one tank to the other.

Rick Dorion
01-01-2006, 05:38 AM
Dr. Gas sells oval tubing.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-01-2006, 07:13 AM
I'm not sure if this would work for you, as I don't know if you have the room for such, but perhaps you could route the exhaust as it's done on the 4th gens with CME.

See pic.

bowtieguys
01-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure if this would work for you, as I don't know if you have the room for such, but perhaps you could route the exhaust as it's done on the 4th gens with CME.

See pic.

Thanks Ralph, I was thinking of trying something like that. I may sell the tips I have and buy a set of the ones in the pic. Do you know what company I could contact about that exhaust system? I wouls like to check on those exhaust tips. Thanks for your help!

Ralph LoGrasso
01-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Rich,

SLP makes / sells the tips that are pictured above. SLP used them on the 4th gen SS' that ordered the Center Mount Exhaust. They're really nice, but also pretty pricey.

bowtieguys
01-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Ralph, You are the man! I'm gonna puchase a set like the ones below. I will post the pics once installed. Thanks again.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://imageshack.us/)

Ralph LoGrasso
01-02-2006, 05:01 AM
Very cool, Rich. I look forward to the pics -- I've been wanting to see CME on an older muscle car. It should look great.

ilovefirstgens
01-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Hmmmm, this thread has got me thinkin, (never a good thing) since i havent dealt with my exhaust yet and really cant decide what to run im thinkin somethin like center exit would be sweet!

How are the pipes routed, somehow i think the exhaust running right under the tank is sketchy but having visable elbows comin from the sides inward would be kinda tacky....

and i was thinkin for some not so oversized slash cut tips like on the later 1st gen vipers.

bowtieguys
01-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Hmmmm, this thread has got me thinkin, (never a good thing) since i havent dealt with my exhaust yet and really cant decide what to run im thinkin somethin like center exit would be sweet!

How are the pipes routed, somehow i think the exhaust running right under the tank is sketchy but having visable elbows comin from the sides inward would be kinda tacky....

and i was thinkin for some not so oversized slash cut tips like on the later 1st gen vipers.

I'll keep you posted becuase I haven't dealt with the install yet. I'm going to try to hide as much as possible. I'll post pics when it's complete.

CAMAROBOY69
01-16-2006, 04:21 AM
Rich I am currently doing this side by side exhaust set up on a 69 Camaro. If you have any questions view my thread called "My exhaust side by side like a Viper". I know you dont want a fuel cell but you will find there is not much room at all under there to work with since the gas tank is so close to the rear. I will be done with this set up very soon. Hopefully by the end of the week.

bowtieguys
01-17-2006, 06:03 AM
Rich I am currently doing this side by side exhaust set up on a 69 Camaro. If you have any questions view my thread called "My exhaust side by side like a Viper". I know you dont want a fuel cell but you will find there is not much room at all under there to work with since the gas tank is so close to the rear. I will be done with this set up very soon. Hopefully by the end of the week.

I'm actually going to be working on my set up today. I'll keep you posted on my progress. I know what you mean about limited space:hand:

CAMAROBOY69
01-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Thats too funny. I am leaving work early today so I can work on mine too. :lol: Once I start a project like this it drives me nuts until its completed. I at least want to get my design for the tail pan all completed tonight which means bending some sheet metal with 3" radius curves to form around the tail pipes. Then weld it all in. Have fun with yours because I will also be working on mine.

gEtyOpAPiOn
01-18-2006, 10:41 AM
i did that to mine before i painted it but it was looking kinda funny so i abandoned that project lol with the slp cme

CAMAROBOY69
01-18-2006, 10:47 AM
This is the thread where i posted my current progress with my side by side exhaust out the center. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678
Post 71 has my updated pics from last night. The mock up pics are very ugly but this thursday I should have the bodywork part of the exhaust all finished.

bowtieguys
01-19-2006, 06:17 PM
I should have some pics soon. I think everything may actually work out:fingersx:

CAMAROBOY69
01-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Well here is my update in post #74 of this thread. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678