PDA

View Full Version : Pinion Angle on ‘59 Corvette

larphred
06-23-2021, 07:46 PM
Hello! First post here and am hoping for answers to my dilemma. I’m trying to set the pinion angle on a Ford 9” differential which swapped into my car. From most of my reading, I assumed that he pinion angle should be close to opposite that of my engine. If the engine tilts rearward 1 1/2 degrees then the pinion angle should be up 1 1/2 degrees.
Then I noticed that the multiple sources I was using were for coil while C1 Corvettes had leaf springs. So according to an educational I found on a Ford forum, the rear pinion should point down to compensate for axle housing upward twist under heavy acceleration.
To complicate matters I have very heavy traction masters to attempt to eliminate pinion rise. So now, I’m really confused.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
This is the Ford reference: https://www.diyford.com/ford-restomod-rear-suspension-guide/

Lonnies Performance
06-25-2021, 07:36 AM
If you have a traction control device that limits axle wrap, then you can start with the pinion & trans roughly parallel (is in the 2nd picture), adding up to approximately 1 additional degree down on the pinion.

i would never set up a car like the top photo unless it was strictly drag raced.