PDA

View Full Version : What EFI systems are you guys running??

John McIntire
12-30-2005, 06:07 PM
With all the choices out there, I'm curious to know what you guys are running? FAST, Accell DFI, XFI, Big Stuff? What system did you choose, and why? What do you like/dislike about it?
Thanks!
John

parsonsj
12-30-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm using a Holley Commander 950.

I'm using it because Holley offers a compatible carb-style throttle body.

jp

ProdigyCustoms
12-30-2005, 07:13 PM
We also am running the Holley Commander 950 Wide band set up on Prodigy. We choose it because it was a complete matched system including everything needed to do the conversion. My tuner feels it is easy to learn and has good comtrols.

TUBED
12-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Motec or EFI Technology, why- because I bought a parts lot and they were included, likes- they feature many options to choose from and I have less in them than a new Accel or Big Stuff 3 setup. Dislikes- Mil Spec harnesses are expensive and the big name cost more.

Gerald

ProStreet R/T
12-31-2005, 08:35 AM
Currently use FAST, if I were to buy a new one it would be BS3.

harshman
12-31-2005, 08:49 AM
We also am running the Holley Commander 950 Wide band set up on Prodigy. We choose it because it was a complete matched system including everything needed to do the conversion. My tuner feels it is easy to learn and has good comtrols.
Hey Frank,

Does the 950 tune well on the dyno? Meaning is the crate advertised hp/tq numbers match up when using the holey 950?

Johnny Blaze
12-31-2005, 10:09 AM
On my IROC I am running the factory TPI with a Holley Stealth Ram, and custom chip. I am wanting to change over to a tuner freindly system.

I am hlping a buddy set up his turbo mustang with a FAST system, I'll let you knw how it goes.

Hammered
12-31-2005, 07:18 PM
Accel Gen 7 but would look at FAST XFI or BS3 if I were to do it again.

OHCbird
01-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Accel Gen 7 (3rd)- I like it. It has many features that make it attractive for my combo.

I've also tuned Motec, BS3, FAST, and AEM. There are all kinds of opinions out there, and half of the dyno operators (older guys) get hooked on one system because they haven't tried to learn them all (or are still resistant). Get out there and talk to as many as you can, preferably guys with multiple-setup backgrounds that have spent time on the dyno with each.

ProdigyCustoms
01-02-2006, 03:40 AM
Hey Frank,

Does the 950 tune well on the dyno? Meaning is the crate advertised hp/tq numbers match up when using the holey 950?

Have not dyno tuned yet. Only did driveability up to now.

John McIntire
01-02-2006, 04:40 AM
thanks for the responses, My next question is, once you learn to tune on one system, can you take that knowledge and use it to tune on another system?
John

ProdigyCustoms
01-02-2006, 06:52 AM
I am no FI expert by ay means, I am learnig as we speak. As I am learning I find the basic parameters to be the same, but each software to work much different from one another. After working with my FI expert last week, I feel confident next time I could fire up a identical system without any help, but real tuning requires experiance.

Overkill
01-03-2006, 04:33 AM
I'm running a MegaSquirt controller in fuel only mode. I chose it because it is cheap, I got to build the system myself so I could hopefully learn fuel injection better, and it is expandable. I don't think that I will use the spark control side of it, but will wire in my idle air controller and electric fan at some point. A couple of guys have actually written programs to help tune in the engine if you have problems tuning it on your own. It also has a large online following who field questions from those that have problems.

http://www.msefi.com/

Michael

RSX302
01-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Seems to be very solid and I feel it's very user friendly. Easy to understand with CalMap.

Accel EFI Air gap Intake (Holley 4 Barrel carb style)
Accel 1200cfm 4 barrel throttlebody
Accel Wideband O2 option
Holley 50# injectors (Running out Need bigger 65's!)

DeltaT
02-02-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm also using the Holley 950 Commander Pro, with the integrated wideband O2 sensor.

I have tuned my blown, intercooled 383 myself, starting from one of the Holley WBO2 base maps. I am on tune revision number 53.

Around tune 25, I had to upgrade to 75# RC Eng hi-z (saturated) injectors, because I was hitting duty cycles of 95% at peak rpm with my 50# set.

The 75's has tuned in great. Now I see duty cycles max out at 72%, which gives me the headroom I need to grow into a T-trim Vortech.

I highly recommend the 950 Pro. Using the wideband and the datalogging, you can tune your own car to perfection, especially if you have a passenger that can work the laptop and knows basic computers. I trained my girlfriend to tweak the 950 Pro in about a half hour.

The result - the car is running like a banshee, with no knock or trauma.

Jim

Samckitt
02-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm running factory LT1 & GM ocmputer on a 11:1 350. Some day I may change it to a 383.

Scot

V8bug
02-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I am running the megasquirt II on a 283 sbc with a tuned port injection. I am controlling fuel and spark and IAC in real time, very cool. Best part is the computer, relay board, relay cable and various other wires all assembled and tested was only $600. If I was too assemble it my self it could have been even cheaper.
The megatune program seems pretty easy to set up and use, and it is constantly being updated. I took a while to get it running since I had to prgram the warmup cycle (about 30 degrees here). all in all I like the system very much

JamesJ
02-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Electromotive, reasons: distributorless, just plain and simple overkill, and I had and extra one lying around.

bonesfab
02-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I've been running a FAST system for years on my truck. Over 35,000 trouble free miles with it. Knock On Wood.... It was one of the first when they came out. sequential w/ wideband. Relitivly easy to get started and play with. Just finished installing one on a l98 tune port early vette and fired right off after setting the general parameters. Have installed quite a few FAST systems and very happy with them.

ProTouring442
02-12-2006, 04:29 AM
I'm running the Holley 950 with wide-band O2. I don't know how easy it is to tune though, because I haven't started the thing yet!

yzfrider2
02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
anyone using MASSFLO efi? it uses a mass air flow sensor instead of a MAP sensor. their info says you can run any cam. plug and play they claim. reading about it, it sounds great. but hey its their add.