PDA

View Full Version : Ford releases new Lightning

Vimes
05-19-2021, 10:47 PM
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/the-electric-ford-f-150-lightning-unveiled-with-a-price-below-40g

Looks like they're keeping the traditional design as well. Good move on that, because mainstream acceptance isn't going to come from a Cybertruck. Unfortunately, I feel like the undertaker's building the coffin for internal combustion.

Tsaints1115
05-20-2021, 06:40 AM
It's a nice looking truck, the "frunk" storage area is neat. And honestly it would easily handle all the needs my current F-150 takes care of.

67gtonut
05-20-2021, 07:04 AM
Will seriously consider it for my next truck....

srode
05-20-2021, 03:00 PM
The big battery range of 300 miles empty probably translates to 150 towing which would be a deal killer for me. Interesting and good idea for people who don't use their truck for towing on vacations like pulling the airstream in that one picture.

Vimes
05-20-2021, 08:24 PM
The big battery range of 300 miles empty probably translates to 150 towing which would be a deal killer for me. Interesting and good idea for people who don't use their truck for towing on vacations like pulling the airstream in that one picture.

None of this would be a real issue if the powers that be would get a move on with getting superchargers out on the street, along with the infrastructure necessary to keep them supplied. But, the only way that's going to happen is with a nuke plant in every city with 100,000 people or more. Wind and solar ain't gonna cut it anytime soon, if they want everyone on electric.

srode
05-21-2021, 12:22 AM
Lots of super chargers help for sure. As an example, on the 850 mile trip towing our boat last Summer and this coming one, I still wouldn't want to have to stop every 2 hours to charge my battery, the trip is long enough as it is on one day. That would double the stops I need to take and I can gas up faster than a super charger would charge my batteries too. At 500 or more mile range I would and a good super charging network I could get interested.

Motobrewmaster
05-21-2021, 03:52 AM
I would seriously consider this truck. 90%+ of my driving and towing is within 100 miles and this would work for me. I also have a SUV that can tow so that would cover my longer trips.

JustJohn
05-21-2021, 11:50 AM
The frunk sold it for my spouse. The original argument against a truck vs SUV was no lockable storage (I don't justify the logic, I just listen and agree).

Vimes
05-21-2021, 05:13 PM
The frunk sold it for my spouse. The original argument against a truck vs SUV was no lockable storage (I don't justify the logic, I just listen and agree).

I can see that, it's part of why I only buy extended cab trucks now. I can lock stuff behind the seats if I need to. That, and the seats don't slide back far enough in a reg cab for me.

mikedc
05-24-2021, 04:51 PM
Some automotive press source (Car & Driver?) estimated that the fully-loaded towing range of that Lightning truck might be down near 100 miles. And if your truck is going to quit running on the 100th mile, you cannot assume there will be another charging station in sight every time you reach mile #99. Your route/plans will be totally compromised around the charging stations.

Ford should not be marketing the truck for long-haul towing IMO. The truck and the infrastructure are not there.

As for most other duties? Yes. Internal combustion is over for most short-haul purposes. We are the last generation where every red-blooded teenage boy dreams of sports cars with big loud V8 engines. That is clear.