PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Top or no Vinyl Top?

trapin
12-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Real simple...my car came with a vinyl top. I'm thinking of putting one back on when it's painted.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
Truthfully? I'm leaning towards doing it. Would probably save me the hassle of trying to get the roof and sail panels straight. Call it laziness.

So what do you think? Honest opinions please. The first person who says, "It's your car, you do what you want" gets a punch in the nose. :box2: :razz:

parsonsj
12-30-2005, 09:50 AM
It's your car ... do what you want. Just kidding.

Me ... I don't like vinyl tops. I'm no fan of convertibles ... and the vinyl top was designed to emulate the convertible "look". So I say ditch it, and get the roof and sail panels straight.

jp

stealth71
12-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah I agree. My chevelle came with a vinyl top and all it did was cause problems. I now have to replace the quarter panel because of the rust from the molding. Water gets trapped under the molding and promotes rust. I would take the time to smooth the roof. At least thats what I'm doing this time

parsonsj
12-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Tony,

btw, when was that photo taken? From the faded colors, it looks at least 20 years old.

jp

Travis B
12-30-2005, 10:07 AM
I kinda like viynl tops on the rigth car! What color are you going with the car?

Steve1968LS2
12-30-2005, 10:29 AM
I have found the vinal tops actually low the value of the car in the resale market unless it's on a completely restored car.

For the most part I am not a fan of vinal tops, to me they are the "popcorn ceiling" of the automotive world.. lol

But it is your car and you KNOW what they say... lol

73z-6sp
12-30-2005, 10:33 AM
I think they look great on the right color. I have seen cars that look like crap that dont have a vinyl top. I am not the biggest fan of vinyl tops because they do cause problems but my car will be getting one put back on. Just like some people dont like baby blue cars, some wont like the vinyl top. Tough titties if you ask me.

derekf
12-30-2005, 11:01 AM
I like it. It's probably correct, like Steve said, that vinyl tops lower the value of the car - but you hardly ever see vinyl tops these days.

I say go with the vinyl.

4MuscleMachines
12-30-2005, 12:28 PM
I like them on certain cars with certain colors, especially 68-70 Chevelles in triple black. On Camaros, I like them also on triple black cars (black paint, top,interior) and on white cars. On the right car, IMO, they give it the tough old school muscle car look. That being said, generally speaking, I do not like the look overall.

Travis B
12-30-2005, 12:35 PM
there was a white chevelle on the cover of hot rod awhile back(fastest street car in america) it had a vinyl top it looked very good IMO

TonyL
12-30-2005, 12:50 PM
i like em. rust problems or no. I'd say go for it.

trapin
12-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Tony,

btw, when was that photo taken? From the faded colors, it looks at least 20 years old.

jp
John...that photo was taken the day it was brought home from the dealership. July 1967.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I must say I've never been a fan of them either but like Derek said you hardly ever see them and it would add some originality to the car. In regards to resale value, this car is a family heirloom and won't be going anywhere. Here's my reasoning for going with the vinyl top; I've been toying around with the idea of a doing a contemporary take on the cars original look. It was corvette bronze with the black SS stripe from the factory. I was thinking of doing Prowler Orange (if I can get it to look like Penny) and do the SS stripe in black pearl. The Prowler Orange looks like Corvette Bronze on steriods. The wheels I currently have would be sold and I'd complete the car with some billet rally wheels with the centers powder-coated the factory silver. 17's up front, 18's in back. I really think it would give the car a sort of retro/sleeper look.

Hey look...I own a 1st gen Camaro, these cars are everywhere. In this day and age you gotta get creative with them or there will be 20 or 30 other Camaros that look just like it. I gotta do something different. Perhaps the vinyl top is what the doctor ordered.

Travis B
12-30-2005, 02:46 PM
John...that photo was taken the day it was brought home from the dealership. July 1967.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I must say I've never been a fan of them either but like Derek said you hardly ever see them and it would add some originality to the car. In regards to resale value, this car is a family heirloom and won't be going anywhere. Here's my reasoning for going with the vinyl top; I've been toying around with the idea of a doing a contemporary take on the cars original look. It was corvette bronze with the black SS stripe from the factory. I was thinking of doing Prowler Orange (if I can get it to look like Penny) and do the SS stripe in black pearl. The Prowler Orange looks like Corvette Bronze on steriods. The wheels I currently have would be sold and I'd complete the car with some billet rally wheels with the centers powder-coated the factory silver. 17's up front, 18's in back. I really think it would give the car a sort of retro/sleeper look.

Hey look...I own a 1st gen Camaro, these cars are everywhere. In this day and age you gotta get creative with them or there will be 20 or 30 other Camaros that look just like it. I gotta do something different. Perhaps the vinyl top is what the doctor ordered.

I think it will look killer...exactly what I was thinking on the billet ralleys etc etc I think the vinyl top will compliment the look nicely

Ralph LoGrasso
12-30-2005, 03:18 PM
IMO, skip the vinyl top. Especially with the pearl paint scheme you're suggesting. I'm biased though, as I'm not at all a fan of vinyl tops, I think I've seen one car with a vinyl top that I actually liked, other than that, I don't like them. I think the prowler orange (or use SOM or DOM since it'd be a GM color and the DOM is offered on the C6--kinda like the corvette bronze on the original :) ) will be a real high class, smooth looking paint scheme, and the vinyl top will just detract from it, IMHO.

steemin
12-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Trapin,

I am sure it will look great whatever you decide..
Since you asked for opinions I will offer mine.
I really do not care for them unless one is going for an "all original" look.
IMHO vinyl tops don't lend themselves to a racey appearance.

Now I will set back and wait for someone
to post some pics of a 900 H.P. vinyl topped monster. :hand:
Scott

Todds69
12-30-2005, 08:24 PM
No Vinyl...plain and simple

trapin
12-30-2005, 09:12 PM
I guess I could always just finish the roof and sail panels, get some color on the car and then do a photoshop of a vinyl roof on the car to see how it contracts with the prowler orange. It's possible the color and the vinyl will just not look good together.

Well....it's a long Winter. Plenty of time to think.

73z-6sp
12-31-2005, 06:40 PM
I just saw this car when scanning through B-J results from last year:
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=179628

Looks like the color you are wanting to use?
Check it out.

dhardison
12-31-2005, 06:51 PM
I just saw this car when scanning through B-J results from last year:
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=179628

Looks like the color you are wanting to use?
Check it out.

IMHO that '69 looks very nice with the vinyl top. Then again my opinion isn't all that impartial...... :guilty:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/01/gfx_14-1.jpg

Charley Lillard
12-31-2005, 09:23 PM
I like em also.

Jim Nilsen
12-31-2005, 11:03 PM
There were several Yenkos with vinyl tops that looked great. I am sure that it didn't hurt their value any either. I especially liked the one that was yellow with the black top. It really set off the Yenko stripes.

But for the most part I don't like the maintenance of them. They also make the car look more elegant than racy so it will really make a big difference these days what wheels you are planning on running. The right combination of wheels and tires will really make the car with a vinyl top. I saw some redline tires at Sema and some really cool HotWheels wheels that would make it look like a HotWheels and those little cars had black roofs on some of them and looked really elegant and racy at the same time. It is amazing what the mind remembers as you look at whats new and different even when it's old. I believe they call that "CLASSIC" looks. :yeah:

Jim Nilsen

mikey
01-01-2006, 12:15 AM
I'd have to say it depends on the color combo myself. Mine will be orignal color Lemans Blue really leaning towards putting white top back on it.

Charley Lillard
01-01-2006, 08:18 AM
You could even do something different like this. This is stock though.

trapin
01-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Charley... :lmao:

I actually like that one picture 73z-6sp posted. Mandarin Copper...I wonder who manufactures that.

Roger Poirier
01-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Trapin, do what works for you! Period. You are the only one that counts.

Note: Someone put an aftermarket top on mine when I bought the goat.That was the thing to do back in the early 70's. I took it off, however lots of extra work when doing that.

R.P.

Milow68
01-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Tony
How about painting the "vinyl roof" on like some factory cars back in the day? I do agree with Ralph with the pearl black strips and black vinyl... it won't fly so good. I really like the original paint scheme! Only problem is then you will have to do some straightening! It is along winter in the midwest!!!!!!
Brad

indyjps
01-02-2006, 11:42 PM
go with the vinyl top and go with the 17" ralleyes, or better yet have some custom wheels cut to mimic the hubcaps.

indyjps
01-02-2006, 11:46 PM
heres a shot of a "racy" camaro with vinyl top, scammed pic from yenko.net

Mike72ss
01-06-2006, 04:17 PM
I vote vinyl too. Don't mess with the family heirloom! :)

Mike

camaro608
01-06-2006, 04:43 PM
no vinyl tops!