PDA

View Full Version : What driveshaft to use? 1st gen camaro

BuddyP
12-30-2005, 08:18 AM
I have a 68 camaro, will be using a LS1 motor with T-56 tranny and either 10 or 12 bolt rear. What are the driveshaft options and specs for this setup? Would use aluminum is price was right. Just going to be a street car. Probably no more than 450hp. Do the stock '93-'02 F body shafts work if lengthened properly?

morrisclassic
12-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Buddy,

The driveshaft manufactures that we contacted recommended a chrome moly drive shaft. They said you could install it and not have any vibration problems like the aluminum ones tend to eventually develop. We are running a mild 383 with a 5 speed Tremec.

Billy

parsonsj
12-30-2005, 01:16 PM
If you have the cash ... check out Mark Williams. Here's a link to a thread (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11854) on the subject.

jp

BuddyP
12-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Chromoly sounds good... how well would a stock driveshaft hold up? Or should I just toss it in the leftover parts bin? Does the shaft need to be a different length with the LS1 setup?

I am looking to get the best cost effective way. I see a lot of driveshafts on ebay for sale but don't know what length or ends I need. I'm not up on knowing what's what yet.

morrisclassic
12-31-2005, 04:30 PM
We checked having the original driveshaft shortened with a 31 spline yoke and the price was almost as much as a new assembly.
For us the price of a new one was better. We paid less than 300.00 for a complete chrome moly driveshaft ,balanced with racing u joints. Carolina Drive Line in Spartanburg, SC made our driveshaft. If you need a number let us know.

Billy

CarlC
01-01-2006, 09:31 AM
You may want to consider seeing if there is a local industrial driveline shop in your area. They may be able to build a shaft to your specifications at a reasonable price.

If you want the best, it's Mark Williams.