PDA

View Full Version : SCORE!!! Ls-1 for 3000

dgumoe
12-29-2005, 09:54 AM
so the motor in my dad's corvette puked a rod the other day. through dumb luck and a good friend i managed to score a COMPLETE ls-1 replacement motor for 3000. and i mean complete with wire harness and all, plus its brand new on the stand never run :cheers: . looks like ill have some extra parts layin around. maybe my camino will get an lsx motor. hmmmmm.

BigBronco
12-29-2005, 10:15 AM
awesome!

Drop a cam in it and be on your way :D

derekf
12-29-2005, 10:32 AM
That's outstanding.

What all was salvageable out of the old vette motor?

Steve1968LS2
12-29-2005, 10:33 AM
That's a hell of a deal for a new motor.. much better than any SBC you could buy for the same $$ (IMO).

I showed my wife a late '60s truck and said "I would love to get one of those for my daily driver but the mileage would suck".. her response? "why don't you just stuff a LS1 and 4l60 in it???"

God I love that woman :)

USAZR1
12-29-2005, 11:04 AM
I showed my wife a late '60s truck and said "I would love to get one of those for my daily driver but the mileage would suck".. her response? "why don't you just stuff a LS1 and 4l60 in it???"
God I love that woman :)

As you should,Steve. Man,what a keeper!

Steve1968LS2
12-29-2005, 11:41 AM
As you should,Steve. Man,what a keeper!

heck yea..

What funny is that she "proof reads" all my stories so she is picking up quite a bit of automotive knowledge..

She thinks it's cool that she knows the difference between a 3-link, 4-link and leaf spring rear suspension.. lol

Sorry for the thread hijack..

Back on topic.. where you gonna get all the stuff for the conversion? (headers, mounts, etc)

dgumoe
12-29-2005, 12:13 PM
i dunno. first i have to convince my dad to let me have it after he's already so generously donated the engine out of the race car to my project. that motor is just sick, around 550 horse SBC. so i dont know yet, i may just stick with that cause its not only easier but the motor has sentimental value. lol

MrQuick
12-29-2005, 10:25 PM
great score indeed D-moe, keep it simple and it will be a nice performer...
Steve, its cool now but wait till she starts correcting you. LOL

KUL FIR CHICK N
12-30-2005, 05:24 AM
What caused the vette to puke the rod in the first place? Was the vette stock?

dgumoe
12-30-2005, 06:26 AM
bone stock, 88000 miles, used to be owned by a woman, not to be stereotypical, but from what we found when we changed the fuel filter and air filter, she was a typical clueless driver (male or female). from what ive heard is that these ls-1's do have an issue spinning rod bearings at some point in their lifetime, what that is i dont know. ive been living in relative ignorance thinking they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. apparently when the rod bearings go it eats the crank pretty bad and then everything else goes to hell. thing is, it didnt sound like a rod knock, it actuallly sounded EXACTLY like a lifter tick. boy were we wrong. oh well, still not too bad off considering dad only paid 18000 for the car and other than this motor issue, it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

datsbad
12-30-2005, 06:58 AM
I had one spin a rod bearing . It does eat the crank pretty bad. This had 90,000 miles and ran fine , then one day it did this . No one knows why !

Bob Johnson
12-30-2005, 03:28 PM
so the motor in my dad's corvette puked a rod the other day. through dumb luck and a good friend i managed to score a COMPLETE ls-1 replacement motor for 3000. and i mean complete with wire harness and all, plus its brand new on the stand never run :cheers: . looks like ill have some extra parts layin around. maybe my camino will get an lsx motor. hmmmmm.
I have a LS1 motor complete with harness etc..$1500.00 I also have a LT5 ZR1 Vette Motor..never was in a car..it was a test motor..no harness or computer..but dyno harnesses are available to fire the ignition and fuel injection. I also have a mild blown 468 big block complete...only about 300 miles...block and heads ground smooth....custom billet airbox that looks like fuel injection. built by Lamar Walden

69keith
12-30-2005, 03:40 PM
I have a LS1 motor complete with harness etc..$1500.00 I also have a LT5 ZR1 Vette Motor..never was in a car..it was a test motor..no harness or computer..but dyno harnesses are available to fire the ignition and fuel injection. I also have a mild blown 468 big block complete...only about 300 miles...block and heads ground smooth....custom billet airbox that looks like fuel injection. built by Lamar Walden

tell me more about the LS1 for $1500.

Modmach1
12-31-2005, 11:43 AM
What kind of dollar is the LT5 ZR-1 engines going for when they come on sale?
I have been offered LS1s with automatic transmisson and harness for $ 3500 (new) And yes, im gonna buy :1st: