PDA

View Full Version : Broken tap

JustJohn
02-22-2021, 04:53 PM
So here's where I am:

1/4-20 tap snapped off about 1/2 deep. It will rotate about 1/4 turn. I tried a tap extractor and the pins sheared twice. Can't put enough load on it. This is on my trans crossmember, of course the very last thing I was doing. I haven't tried any other methods yet. Waiting for some sound advice before I go nuclear on it.
I'd like to fix it now but realistically I can wait until the body is off in another month or so.

andrewb70
02-22-2021, 05:59 PM
The only thing I can think of is welding a bolt to it.

Andrew

raustinss
02-22-2021, 06:01 PM
compressed air while rotating it ???? ....also try using some heat to maybe free stuff up .

JustJohn
02-23-2021, 04:58 AM
Since the crossmember is relatively easy to take off at this point, I'm going to try TIG welding to the end of it as the next, least destructive step. Should have the correct filler rod by tomorrow.

(Part of me wants to just bash it with a punch and hope it shatters.)

JustJohn
02-23-2021, 12:13 PM
Spoke to one of our machinists at work and he gave me another non-destructive approach. Have to take the cross member off anyway so trying a drill press option.

JustJohn
02-23-2021, 04:07 PM
And this is done. Ted (machinist) gave me the Omega drill kit and a couple of old carbide end mills in the right size. It would have been even cleaner on a mill but the drill press got me where I needed to be. Started the hole with the carbide mill and blew through the rest of the tap with the Omega bit. Probably put a spot of weld on it, re-drill and tap to finish it out.

TANKMASTERJ
05-06-2021, 08:31 PM
I always lay a nut over it and weld the nut t it, when it cools just a little it usually come right out.
When diameter is small in your case, or when tap or volt is deeper than flush, I'll first lay a good solid flat washer there, weld it to the tap or volt, then weld a nut to the washer.
Again when it cools it backs right out. It works about 8-9 out of 10 times
Tankmasterj
Jason

Twentyover
05-08-2021, 09:23 AM
I weld a fender washer to the bolt (I've fortunately never broke a tap- but will no doubt next time I use one now that I've made this claim.), then weld a larger diameter nut to the fender washer