PDA

View Full Version : Current Collector Car Market Status & Outlook in 2021?

alocker
02-14-2021, 06:38 AM
What do you guys think the next year will bring? We are about 1 year into COVID-19 market manipulation and massive bubbles everywhere. How do you think collector cars will do? I know this is a broad term but I guess you could break them down to original un-modified and custom/modified cars. For someone risk adverse the outcome seems easy to spot. There will be a gigantic crash in all asset prices at some point in the near future. The big problem is there doesn't seem to be any brakes on the current blown nitro stimulus machine.

Here is my situation but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on other types of situations.

I found a survivor late 60's Cadillac in the $20k range. In the last year I would say prices spiked 15-25% for this model. Insurance is cheap and I do all the maintenance in my own garage. Taxes and plate are also cheap. I'm looking for something to do with the kids this summer and sick of waiting for a market correction. I don't mind a little depreciation but I wouldn't be happy if it took a 50% hit a year later.

What do you all think about the craziest economy in our lifetimes?

7T400Formula
02-14-2021, 07:34 AM
Well, I'm in the UK and there is anxiousness about gas prices, the ban on new petrol/diesel car sales in ten years, which will have a trickle down. I think prices might tank at some point, especially on modifieds but honestly, that may not be all bad. I'm old enough to remember when muscle cars were cheap as anything and it seems to me people enjoyed them much more then. They were driven, thrashed and abused, but people had fun. It's a collapsing time frame, but I'm going to enjoy mine as much as humanly possible while I can, without worrying about paint chips. Cars as garage art don't do it for me.

Interceptor5588
02-14-2021, 07:44 AM
A lot of guys are stuck at home finishing a lot of projects, and I'm guessing a lot of them will be for sale once completed. Hopefully they see the light and actually drive and enjoy them, but many will end up flooding the market. I'm expecting prices will drop some. Numbers-matching premium cars will hold their value, but probably not skyrocket.

Society is in for a big realignment of priorities in the next year. Covid has changed the way we look at life and at doing business.

79 Camaro
02-14-2021, 01:32 PM
Nice cars will hold their value in my opinion. I don't consider my hot rods any type of investment. They are toys I can afford. I think the folks that get in over their heads is when they commission a build and all of a sudden they have a $100,000 build cost and can get only $50,000 when they try and sell it.
I look at a car build like the money you spend on vacation. You go some where and you come back. You don't get any of your spent money back. On a car unless something goes crazy wrong you shouldn't get hurt too bad.

Vimes
02-14-2021, 02:27 PM
Collector cars are motor vehicles, NOT investment vehicles. If it's not something you can buy just to find out the value is scrap a week later, don't buy. You should only be buying it if it's something you want to drive for yourself. If you like this Caddy, buy it and don't worry about future value down the road.

Really though, if it's something to build with the kids the better way would be to find out what they want, then buy and build them each a car. If you all work on one, then when you die there's a fight over who gets it and no matter who wins the fight there's bad blood between the kids. Doing one for each of them means they each have a car they built with Dad, and Dad gets to watch them enjoy the car. Depending on what they want and what it takes to get it the way they want it, you might wind up doing each of them a car for not much more than that Caddy costs to buy.