PDA

View Full Version : HP, TQ and body twist

ss dave
12-26-2005, 08:48 PM
I have a 69 Camaro convert. It has the cross member and subframe connectors that are welded into a notched lateral frame and the front/rear, new suspension thru out. Hooks up well now but planning on adding more HP & TQ. I hope the experts can give me some advice on how much HP/TQ the car will handle before I have to worry about body twist. Doors, lids shut great with smooth lines and I would like to keep it that way. A roll bar is a consideration, I believe this would help- but is it necessary? I know Frank at Prodigy has built some cars with crazy #'s and a few verts, what do think? thanks

ProdigyCustoms
12-26-2005, 09:06 PM
We did a 67 convertible a while back that was a street / street race car that ran a 500hp / 550tq motor. With frame connectors and a roll bar, but no crossmember, It hooked well cutting 1.62 short times and running high 11s. We had no twist issues with it, at least no long term effects. However stepping the HP up from there, and dead hooking is dramatically more violent. The difference between a 500HP 1.62 short time and a 600HP 1.48 is a lot. The yellow car should be the teller of all stories when it is finished. With ridiculous HP, it will be interesting to see if the left front tire stays stays in the air after it's first launch, LOL! Prodigy is a entire different would with a super strong full chassis, so it is not a good bar by which to measure.
How much HP are you working towards? And how hard do you plan to hook it? Slicks?

ss dave
12-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Wow, Frank I appreciate the quick response. This is mainly a street, occasional strip car. Right now a 700R4 with a 3.73, my tranny builder thinks he can keep the tranny together, but maybe a 4L80E if not. I'm looking in the range of 550-580 HP with a juiced 383. Nittos 275 Xtreme Drag, occasional slicks. Probably Cal tracs if needed. thanks

ProdigyCustoms
12-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Your good, but you wil need a roll bar to be NHRA legal at the ets it can run. your easily in the elevens with that HP assuming everything else is set up properly

ss dave
12-26-2005, 10:04 PM
OK Thanks, how about one of your roll bars?