PDA

View Full Version : Front splitter height

CamaroAJ
12-17-2020, 04:41 PM
So let’s talk splitters for a min here. I’m building one for my Camaro and it’s almost parallel to the ground like it’s supposed to be. It’s mounted to the bottom of the spoiler and back to the sub frame (C5 vette chassis) so the spoiler is flat with that. The problem I have is that puts the bottom of the spoiler at 7” from the ground which seems really high to me when most are in the 3”-5” range. 5” would be safe for street driving I feel. I plan on making side skirts for the car which will decrease ground clearance on the sides a few inches to around 5” of ground clearance.

Does 7” seem like way to much? I’m thinking it is and I’m thinking spacers between the sub frame to lower it down and build a custom lower spoiler instead of modifying the anvil one I have. The other issue I see with that is then the bottom of the car wouldn’t be flat anymore. There would be a step down after the splitter to the floor of that 2” difference which I could make angled and not just a hard step.

few pics for reference.

Zspoiler
12-17-2020, 10:37 PM
You could look through the PT Garage for ideas You have to watch the curbs and driveways when you drive it on the street I found out the hard way on my 1979 Z-28 with an Fibremotive IMSA front spoiler.I have also seen cars with similar splitters like yours have a "diffuser" in back.182199

Pragmatist
12-18-2020, 02:36 PM
Personally I would leave it the height you have if street driving is your goal. Next I would blend the spoiler with the front fender to eliminate the view of the front tire tread.

WOLF1732
12-18-2020, 03:06 PM
Speed "bumps" for the most part are 6" tall. I have seen speed "humps" 8" tall. How far out the splitter is from the wheel centerline will tell how much "driveway and road way misalignment" you can get away with. I am going with 4" on my build. A friends C6 is 4.5 and he is getting away with it for the most part. Not to say you want hit a dog the next day no matter how high it is. Make spares..

CamaroAJ
12-18-2020, 03:37 PM
You could look through the PT Garage for ideas You have to watch the curbs and driveways when you drive it on the street I found out the hard way on my 1979 Z-28 with an Fibremotive IMSA front spoiler.I have also seen cars with similar splitters like yours have a "diffuser" in back.

Already have one planned.

Personally I would leave it the height you have if street driving is your goal. Next I would blend the spoiler with the front fender to eliminate the view of the front tire tread.

Thats in the plans for the sides. The car will see mainly street, but will also see a lot of autocross and track duty.

Speed "bumps" for the most part are 6" tall. I have seen speed "humps" 8" tall. How far out the splitter is from the wheel centerline will tell how much "driveway and road way misalignment" you can get away with. I am going with 4" on my build. A friends C6 is 4.5 and he is getting away with it for the most part. Not to say you want hit a dog the next day no matter how high it is. Make spares..

Well the front end over hang is a little shorter then a C5 so I should be good that part. My C5 Z06 was really low and the air dam was only 2.5" off the ground and it didn't scrape as much as I thought it would. Thats kinda why I feel like 5" would be a good number to live with.

CarlC
12-19-2020, 11:11 PM
The safe height changes depending on the car and how far out in front the tip of the splitter is.

The farther out the tip of the splitter, the more height is needed.

Also, the longer the distance from the center of the tire contact patch to the front tip of the splitter, the more height is needed.

The splitter on mine is roughly 3" behind the very front point on the top valence panel and is 6-1/2" off the ground. Care does need to be exercised in some obvious situations, but for most driving it's fine.

https://i.hmjimg.com/images/2018/06/25/Spoiler.jpg (https://www.hostmyjunk.com/image/zrYGn)

CamaroAJ
12-20-2020, 09:11 AM
The safe height changes depending on the car and how far out in front the tip of the splitter is.

The farther out the tip of the splitter, the more height is needed.

Also, the longer the distance from the center of the tire contact patch to the front tip of the splitter, the more height is needed.

The splitter on mine is roughly 3" behind the very front point on the top valence panel and is 6-1/2" off the ground. Care does need to be exercised in some obvious situations, but for most driving it's fine.

Your splitter doesn’t look that high in pictures. I made mine even with the front of the nose of the car using a plumb bob. Maybe I’ll leave it as it is for now and revisit it later. I have an idea of how to lower it so maybe I’ll look into a quick change style for street and track with different heights.

Mtrhd329
08-03-2021, 02:12 PM
When I built my splitter I played with my height a lot to be drivable and still have a decent effect for autocross etc. I found that with my truck ha ing about a 3" splitter sticking out 4" seemed to be about the lowest I would go and not scrape on everything. I sometimes had to take dips at a 45 to not scrape but it was pretty easy to avoid.