PDA

View Full Version : Good book to learn about EFI - Recommendations

dhardison
12-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Can anyone make a recommendation on a good book for an intro to EFI?

TIA,
Dan

ProStreet R/T
12-26-2005, 11:35 PM
What do you want to know? Best way to learn efi is by practice and playing with the systems.

dhardison
12-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Not sure exactly what I need to learn, but what I want to do is convert from my current Eddy dual quad to an EFI setup similar to this or maybe a RamJet type set up:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/12/intakelgtb2-1.jpg https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/12/intakesmtb-1.jpg

I'm still researching whether to go with a "kit" from Eddy, Holley, GM RamJet or maybe with a custom set up. I'd like something that has a base map that I can just install and go, but then has the ability to tune as I learn more. I'd like to learn enough so when I call these resellers I'm able to ask logical questions and understand the responses.

Thanks,
Dan

ProStreet R/T
12-27-2005, 09:57 AM
In all honesty just reading and researching the forums is probably your best bet.

Personally I would avoid a "kit" and build what is best for your needs.

EFI tuning is one of those things, you can read about it all you want, but until you really start to play and see what things really do, you'll never fully understand it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the base program, the new efi systems are much better and really help you get it up and running quickly. Depending on the setup you go with it probably won't be too hard to have someone email you a base tune if need be.

I have the whole tuning guide from FAST if you want to take a look at it. It gives you a pretty good understanding of how everything works, screen shots, and so forth.

If you give us a general idea on what you want, budget, etc. I'm sure we can guide you through it.

dhardison
12-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I'd like to keep the total cost below $5000 and even though I know nothing about this specific vendor, I keep coming back to "Advanced Performance" and their BB kit. It uses a proven intake, rails, fuel pump and FAST ecu. Even though it's a 'kit' it contains the components that I would use if I were to assemble something custom for myself.

http://www.advancedperformance-efi.com/efikits.php

Is the FAST tuning guide you have in digital format? If so, and you don't mind sending me a copy, please send it to [email protected].

Thanks!
Dan

ProStreet R/T
12-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Looks like a good start to a system, but a few things I would definitely look into changing.

You will need a 2, maybe 3 bar map sensor. Not a big deal, but it's a must have.

Curious which FAST ecu they are using. Is it the new XFI, or the older system? And is it bank to bank, or sequential fire? Does it include the wideband O2 setup?

The new XFI is pretty nice, but look into the wideband. I know on the older FAST systems the wideband O2 sensor alone was over $400. Where other systems use a standard WB that is under $100. Thats the price for just the sensor.

And figure out if it's going to be run off a cam pos sensor in a dist, or crank trigger. That could add a good chunk to the overall price as well.

Sizing injectors is going to be interesting as well. I would probably plan on buying what you need for the boosted setup and tune it down for N/A. Would be worth researching the fuel pump and regulator as well, need to be sure they are up to the task of pumping all that fuel.

Does that kit include fuel lines/fittings? If so what size? And is it a full return setup?

ProStreet R/T
12-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Oh I emailed that FAST file, it is sent ziped but still huge, so if it doesn't make it let me know.

dhardison
12-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Looks like a good start to a system, but a few things I would definitely look into changing.

You will need a 2, maybe 3 bar map sensor. Not a big deal, but it's a must have.

Curious which FAST ecu they are using. Is it the new XFI, or the older system? And is it bank to bank, or sequential fire? Does it include the wideband O2 setup?

The new XFI is pretty nice, but look into the wideband. I know on the older FAST systems the wideband O2 sensor alone was over $400. Where other systems use a standard WB that is under $100. Thats the price for just the sensor.

And figure out if it's going to be run off a cam pos sensor in a dist, or crank trigger. That could add a good chunk to the overall price as well.

Sizing injectors is going to be interesting as well. I would probably plan on buying what you need for the boosted setup and tune it down for N/A. Would be worth researching the fuel pump and regulator as well, need to be sure they are up to the task of pumping all that fuel.

Does that kit include fuel lines/fittings? If so what size? And is it a full return setup?

This is exactly the kind of stuff I don't understand. Wide-band, bar map, sequential fire, bank to bank are all things about which I have no clue. I GREATLY appreciate the info, but it looks like I need to do some serious reading/research on EFI before I can even think about choosing a configuration.

I got the file you emailed. Thanks!

Dan

DeltaT
02-02-2006, 05:52 PM
I highly recommend Jeff Hartman's book "How to tune and modify engine management systems". The EFI tuning section is excellent - well worth the money since it allowed me to tune my car myself.

Jim

dhardison
02-03-2006, 04:18 AM
I highly recommend Jeff Hartman's book "How to tune and modify engine management systems". The EFI tuning section is excellent - well worth the money since it allowed me to tune my car myself.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'll check that one out as well.

Dan

Fuelie Fan
02-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I wrote an FAQ that discusses those questions.

I also posted a list of books in a previous thread. Search is your friend!

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2005&highlight=injection+books

And, to plug a friend, www.retrotekspeed.com
Ken farrell worked with us to develop a dual quad fuel injection system, you may want to contact him if you have any interest in keeping that style of intake.