PDA

View Full Version : Mopar guys...need opinions

RatMalibu
09-23-2004, 04:18 PM
heres the deal......when I was a young guy my aunt drove a '68 Barracuda, she decided to get something a little better on gas at the time and sold the car to her brother with him giving her the idea he was going to fix it up. his wife drove it for a few months and the first time it snowed she ditched it (not hurting the car, just scared the heck out of her).....the car has been sitting every since (late 80's very early 90's would be a rough guess) its at my dads house where its been for 5 years or so and I've tried to talk him out of the car many times. My dad told me that he's finally thinking about selling it now :hammer: anyway the car is a V-8, auto. its a butter beige black interior and it had a black vinyl top a long time ago......its in need of at the least lower 1/4's, rockers, and the lower rear parts of the fenders I'm sure the floors are in dire need also but can't inspect them yet.....the trunk looks solid the roof is not bad except for the factory seems at the back are starting to get crusty but not bad yet...it's a complete untouched car.....I'm a bodyman by profession so all work would be done by myself so labor is not a large factor in this.

question #1 what would this car be worth to a normal person (not counting the sentimental value of I used to LOVE this car lol)

question #2 what can be done/used on this car as far as suspension drivetrain upgrades if I do decide to get the car from him

question #3 is there an aftermarket for this year car?
thanks guys

PeteRR
09-23-2004, 05:08 PM
As long as the frame rails are in good condition, I'd take it. Is it a fastback or notchback? Which V8 does it have? A 340 would be good. A big block(383 or 440) would be better.

question #1 what would this car be worth to a normal person?
In bad shape with a motor of unknown condition, I wouldn't pay more than scrap price. They aren't that rare that they can command huge prices.

question #2 what can be done/used on this car as far as suspension drivetrain upgrades?
There are a number of factory parts that can be used. In addition, there is a reasonable aftermarket in terms of suspension, brakes, and handling.

question #3 is there an aftermarket for this year car?
Drivetrain? Yes. Sheetmetal? Yes, but the sheetmetal is substandard and manufactured in Taiwan. There a number of Mopar salvageyards where good sheetmetal can be had. They aren't cheap. Interior? Legendary Interiors makes practically every piece. Some of the trim is unobtanium though.

RatMalibu
09-23-2004, 05:30 PM
its a notchback and I believe its like a 273 V-8? I know its smaller than a 318 lol and I take it back its a '67 not a '68

PeteRR
09-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Notchbacks are great looking cars. 273s are one of Ma Mopar's neglected children. They make okay power. The nice thing about them is they came stock with steel cranks. Very useful for a performance 318 buildup. A 318 or 340 small block is a direct bolt-in replacement.

Speed Raycer
09-23-2004, 06:07 PM
I'd bet that Laysons Restorations is repoping lower patch panels for the 67's. You can definitely do some serious upgrades to the A bodies using factory parts and there are starting to be some aftermarket goodies available depending on what you want to do.

Mopars are more expensive to build, but you wont see 20 of them at every show either.

A notchback 'cuda would look kick**s in PT form

1970cuda
09-23-2004, 06:11 PM
notchbacks are my fav. would look killer done, how about the new hemi small block crate motor that dodge is coming out with. treat it like a super stock pro touring car and you can tell them is has a hemi and gets 20 plus mpg
go for it. i have a 67 charger 318 that has wisconsin cancer bad but my parents bought it new. i'll end up putting too much money in it to fix it and won't be worth alot but it will be fun.

hutch_808
12-09-2004, 06:43 AM
check out www.bigblockdart.com for a mopar rack and pinion upgrade.

MrQuick
12-09-2004, 07:32 AM
pretty nice set up,too bad they don'tmake em for E bodies. You guys seeing anything for 66 Valiant signets? I need to do something with one.

70RT/SE
12-09-2004, 10:11 AM
pretty nice set up,too bad they don'tmake em for E bodies. You guys seeing anything for 66 Valiant signets? I need to do something with one.
I think they have the setup now for both B & E bodies.

Check out this months Mopar Muuscle Magazine. They have a really nice pro-touring 68 notchback with a 500" low deck stroker, Tremec 5 speed and Alterktion rack and pinion setup.

Kenova
12-11-2004, 05:10 PM
It's nice to see/hear some serious Mopar discussion. Nice change of diet from my steady Chevy feed.

Matt, if you have the skills, time, and resources to take the Barracuda on as a project, then go ahead. The fact that there is some sentiment attached to it makes it worthwhile. Let's face it, none of our cars would be worth squat if we weren't sentimentaly attached to them.
Ken