PDA

View Full Version : Got my Recaros installed/ got backed into by a truck

streetk14
12-26-2005, 10:31 AM
I finally got the brackets from wedge to install the black leather Recaro toplines in my '68 Camaro. I got them all wired up and have driven the car a couple times with them in. They are awesome. Very comfortable and adjustable. The heaters are nice. I took the car out on Christmas eve day for a quick run to the auto parts store. On the way back, some guy in a Toyota Tundra decides to make an illegal 3-point turn in the middle of a busy road. I am stopped right behind him while he attemps this. He doesn't see me, and I have no time to react. I now need a new fender, header panel, grill, moldings, headlight and housing. Fortunatlely, he was insured and I had an unbiased witness (kind of, she is a musclecar fan) who saw the entire thing. The good news is that I was planning to rip off the front sheetmetal soon to do my WD C4 subframe install, and I was looking at getting a nice paint-job on the car also. So maybe this was a blessing in disguise. I have some contacts at a good body shop who can get me a good estimate for the insurance companies. From my calculations, about $1100 in parts. I have no idea what kind of labor estimate I'll get. Any ideas? Sorry about the long post, I just had to vent a little.
-Andy

dropit69
12-26-2005, 11:47 AM
love the seats ..sorry to hear of the accident..but like you said it was getting ripped out anyhow..but was that original gm metal if so make sure they price gm stuff..some insurances wont pay for gm stuff but id try..good luck with the c4 install .post more pics after you get it started..

TEDDYS CAMARO
12-26-2005, 02:03 PM
That Really Sucks. But, Thank God It Was'nt Any Worse. Those Are Really Nice Seats. How Much??

Ralph LoGrasso
12-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Great looking seats. Sorry to hear about the accident, hopefully it'll be a blessing in disguise like you said.

streetk14
12-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. Dropit69: I believe the front sheetmetal is all original GM, but it has plenty of filler in there from a poorly done previous repair (before I owned the car). That would be cool if the insurance would pay for NOS stuff. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Teddy: They are very nice seats, but they carry the very nice price tag to go along with them. I bought them off a guy who had purchased a ton of Recaro stuff from a dealer who was going out of business. They retail for $1700 each, but I got them MUCH cheaper. He was selling the stuff so cheap that Recaro contacted him and asked him to remove all his auctions from E-bay. He may still have some stuff if you are interested. IMO, seats are one of those things where you get what you pay for. Your back will thank you for it.
-Andy

dhardison
12-26-2005, 04:56 PM
The Recaros look GREAT Andy! Sorry to hear about the accident, but hopefully the insurance company will come through for you.

Dan

Jim Nilsen
12-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Sorry to see the damage ,and from what I could see you might be better of to get a paintless dent repair guy to fix the damage. I know the paint is no good but those guys are soooo good at what they do they might be able to repair the current damage and the previous damage too and do it for less than a new GM fender and possibly an after market one, so consider getting an estimate from one of them.I have fixed worse and if I can fix simething like that ,they surely can unless they think it is stretched too far. You definately want to stick with a GM fender if you can get the insurance to go for it. You will also want to all new grille mouldings too, the paint won't match very well to the old ones if you don't. So make sure the estimator knows this or you will get stuck with one headlight bezel looking a shade off.

The seats look great and it sounds like you got a great price.

What kind of sled was that you got hit by ,LOL

Happy New Year

Jim Nilsen

datsbad
12-29-2005, 10:16 PM
do you have the contact info for this guy you got the seats from . which model are the ones you bought?

4MuscleMachines
12-30-2005, 01:16 AM
[email protected] ([email protected]) is the one I purchased from on eBay.

streetk14
01-01-2006, 06:52 PM
do you have the contact info for this guy you got the seats from . which model are the ones you bought?

I tried to send you a PM, but it wouldn't go through. That is the same guy I bought them from. Matt is a great guy to deal with. I got the Style Topline in black leather. It appears that he still has an identical set for sale on E-bay right now. He is asking for a little more $$$ now. Maybe Recaro threatened to take legal action. :poke:

Jim, I have a friend who does estimates for a good body shop. I'm sure we'll get what we deserve. I'm not planning to have it repaired. It looked good, but was a cheap paint job. This situation has motivated me to get the ball rolling on some things I've been planning. I'm planning to tear off the front end, swap the subframe, clean up the engine bay a little, throw in a 434ci small block, and then have the entire car painted a different color (midnight blue w/ white stripes maybe?). The car is going to be down a while, but it should be worth it in the end. Are there any parts suppliers that still carry NOS fenders? My NPD and Classic Industries catalogs no longer list them. Insurance SHOULD pay for GM parts in they are available, it's just a matter of finding them.

Happy New Year